skykitten

Do you suffer from a mental disorder?

It sounds like you're sort of meshing together two very distinct issues:

1. do skydivers (or participants in extremem sports) have a higher occurence of mental disorders amongst them?

2. does being involved in skydiving (or another extreme sport) help a person recover from a mental disorder?

In regards to #1, I would think not, although coming up with a control group would involve asking people NOT involved in extreme sports as well and would be really difficult to conduct. I think there are more and more "mentally disturbed" people in all walks of life, as we diagnose more and more personality traits.

Regarding #2, I would think this would also be really hard to gauge and it would have to be split up by disorder. For example, I would doubt that any sport could cure multiple personality disorder, while it could very strongly affect depressive episodes.

Any study along these lines, I would think, would need to be narrowed down a lot more, or made into many books!

I voted "none" but I've never been diagnosed. I've never been majorly depressed or depressed for a long period of time. I may have some sort of ADD. I have had a few addictions- nicotine, caffein- nothing major. Could there be some other chemical imbalance that may not fit into a standard disorder or any classification in abnormal psychiatry?

Respect the Dolphin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont forget SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I get it something terrible during the winter.

thats why ya come down south and jump!!!!
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

There has been some interesting study research on the "big T", "little t" type personalities correlating with a need for more stimulation/adrenaline which finds many of these people doing extreme sports. It has been a while since I studied this topic in psychology so I am going to try and lead you in the right direction instead of going into too much detail about what I vaguely remember. But I do remember reading about there being some kind of genetic correlation of a Tt gene which gives someone a propensity to be a thrill seeker. Depending on the environment you are exposed to and grow up in, that may intensify. These people generally get bored with "daily life" and seek to push the limits by taking greater risks. I am sure if you did some web research you would find out what I am talking about.

I also have heard of people getting into skydiving to help a substance abuse problem. Finding that there is more to life than getting high all the time and that adrenal highs can be achieved without drugs.

As for me, I only do what all the SkyGods in my head tell me to do, I get pretty pissed off in the winter when there is no sunhine (SAD) and I can be kind of a wacky manic chick when I drink coffee and/or Mountain Dew. HeHeHe look out!

Good luck!
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

This is an interesting subject to say the least. I wish I knew more that I could contribute. I've seen a lot of people who were troubled by depression or other problems, who found meaning and happiness in life through skydiving. It may not have to be an extreme sport though. I've seen some folks who have done the same thing with an outdoor activity or even running. Some might call it an escape from the pressures in life. I've followed some of my pursuits to the point where the rest of my life was out of balance though. To the point where a certain past time was addictive and consumed most of my free time. It might have been an adrenaline fix in skydiving, hunting, or even being obsessed with exercise. There are worse things to be addicted to though. Today I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what my motivations are (or what makes me tick) and work to keep things in balance. At any rate, it's an interesting subject that should be researched further.......Steve1

Are there undefined disorders or undiscovered chemical imbalances out there? More than likely. It seems as though there are new classifications every time I turn around.
That being said, there's probably not a person in the world that doesn't exhibit at least one or two diagnostic criteria for some disorder. This does not, however, mean someone has a mental illness.
Another facet that is a point of contention... how many of these disorders are truly that? A disorder?
Person A exhibits such and such behaviour that causes a disruption in his/her life. Often, it is difficult to determine the reason for the behaviour, and due to financial or time constraints, only limited periods are spent with qualified individuals. The person gets labeled as having a disorder.
Now let's assume that Person A is just going through a rough spot in his/her life. Due to lack of coping mechanisms or a personal support network, said person develops some unhealthy habits or is put under mental strain.
Person A, who previously thought of him or herself as a healthy human being, now has this label to fall back on. Failure or "bad" behaviours are now qualified by this lable. This provides an easy excuse for continuing the behaviour, rather than putting for the effort to make a positive change.
Was the disorder there before being diagnosed, or did the diagnosis essentially -create- the disorder?
My original poll was quickly put together, and left out several big disorders. My further posts brought in other issues. The information I am collecting is going into a big melting pot and useful bits will be scooped off the top. But everything that is being said is making an impact and changing a view.
Thanks to everybody who has posted so far with their own experiences, and to those others who have brought up new questions.
Bit by bit, we break down big walls.

When walking up to an officer, it is not advisable to say, "Trick or Donut." Seriously.

Person A, who previously thought of him or herself as a healthy human being, now has this label to fall back on. Failure or "bad" behaviours are now qualified by this lable. This provides an easy excuse for continuing the behaviour, rather than putting for the effort to make a positive change.
Was the disorder there before being diagnosed, or did the diagnosis essentially -create- the disorder?
reply]

This is an interesting concept that I haven't heard of before. (maybe I need to take more psychology classes). I'm sure this could happen though. It's just another reason not to take labels too seriously. or maybe labeling can do more harm than good. I know a lot of professionals who have trouble agreeing on what the label to pick, to fit a certain person's behavior. I also know of at least one school psychologist who is great at giving tests to troubled kids (to determine a label), yet they appear not to have an ounce of human understanding.......Steve1

Dont forget SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I get it something terrible during the winter.
-----------------------------------------------
thats why ya come down south and jump!!!!

Yep. I took 3 vacations this winter. It was a big help.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

TLC did a program on this about a year ago; I think it was called "Understanding Rist Takers," or something like that. They took about four people who were doing high-risk activities and followed them before, during and after whatever they were doing (there were two guys doing AFF 1) and looked at their physiological/psych changes throughout the process.
One of the researchers theorized that people are predisposed to engage in these activities, either genetically and/or because of a brain chemical deficiency, and that those of us to do stuff like this do it because it's the only way we get the dopamine and other natural-happy-brain-drugs--that risk takers only feel pleasure by doing risky stuff. I supposed that may be true for some, but as a sweeping generalization, I have my doubts.

I've struggled with depression most of my adult life (as have most of the women on my mother's side of the family), and skydiving made a huge difference to me, but not because of the dopamine/adrenaline/whatever rush. It's such an enormous confidence-builder...people who have never done it will never get it...
I remember after my first jump, the cameraflyer gave me a roll of film from my jump, and when I went to a store w/ a one-hour photo to have it developed, I had to just wander around the store killing time....I was so keyed up I could hardly see straight, and I was absolutely struck by how changed my life was--just in that afternoon. Other people in the store were going about their normal business, arguing over soup or whatever, and I'd just had this completely life-altering experience.

As a testament to my feeling that there's more to it than just adrenaline, I've had several long periods of not being able to jump, but I'm still not the same person I was pre-skydiving....There's something about a 13,000' jump that rearranges your perspective on life!

-zelda

(quote) But, with skydiving, I've seen people, who were on the verge of breakdown, come back with such vigor, such renewed vitality... it's incredible. I'll be scoping out this and other sports... car racing, skateboarding, etc... to see if these lifestyles are effectively helping people to regain their lives.
Without drugs... or supervised discussion groups.
I am TIRED of hearing that the only way to heal is with hours spent with a psychiatrist or with a drug cocktail that Hunter S Thompson would be impressed by.
I know that hobbies and religion are touted as being supplemental healing tools, but what if, by some chance, we are actually healing a bit more every time we jump? (Or drive fast or zoom down a hill on a funky shaped board that has our feet attached to it?)
That's the gap I want to fill. The questions I want to answer.
Something between science and personal experience... that shoots from the hip and shows a few more options geared towards living a fulfilling, happy life.
Too many people are breathing, but not living. You know what I mean?

-Um, I USED to be depressed. Permanently. Spent about 12 years on the ragged edge, dead man walking, slowly losing the war...half my siblings have attempted suicide. I never did but out of sheer angry stubbornness. When you have nothing left, anger and rage can keep you going for years. No medication, no therapy for me, just iron will and bitter pride.
Now, no more rage, huge grin all the time for the past year since I started jumping, very happy man, for the first 6 months I was scared I'd "get over it" or get used to it and find myself back in the terrible dark. It ain't happening. Renewed vitality? ABSOLUTELY! I'm lighting up a little brighter with every jump and I'm still getting used to being this stranger to myself who laughs a lot is quick to grin and has a life whuffos can only wonder at. Feeling bluish? If I can't jump right now I go sniff my rig. Smells like ozone-crackly canopies and the drop zone. aaah, much better. Big grin again. Best antidepressant ever devised: massive overdoses of clear blue skies puffy clouds and forced high-speed learning.
I expect to be doing this for the rest of my life, and look forward to it.
I win.:)

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Lurch,
It's inspiring that you have overcome so much through skydiving. I hope your life continues on the right path. I also feel that therapy and medication play a vital role in helping many. They are both being overprescribed much of the time, and there are many ineffective counselors, but they do have their place......Just my opinion.....Steve1

Wow, congratulations. Good job!

The only thing that worries me about skydiving being a "medicine" for mood disorders is the liability factor. There are many people for whom skydiving is not the best idea. What we need is to distill the reason why skydiving has such a positive effect and apply it. If done right, this will not be reduced to white-coat work.

Perhaps the real problem lies in the current treatment? My intro psych prof this year said that the success rate of the SSRIs is only a couple of percent above placebo. It's the person that decides, conciously or not, that they don't want to be depressed any more. This makes me think that skydiving is a form of positive reinforcement treatment. What do you think?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

My name is chopchop and I am a sex-addict... Skydiving has helped me with this as chicks think skydivers are cool so I am getting more poon.. :P

FEED THE ADDICTIONS BABY!!!

Sorry for interupting your otherwise very serious and mildly interesting discusson..:)

chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

My intro psych prof this year said that the success rate of the SSRIs is only a couple of percent above placebo. It's the person that decides, conciously or not, that they don't want to be depressed any more.

I don't believe that for a hot second.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I had problems with PTSD, depression and anxiety. I participated in war here in Croatia, and I (and my whole family) lived for about 4-5 years about half a mile from enemy positions. That left some scars on me. After returning from war, I had problems whit returning to society, I felt like I came from Mars when I was whit my old friends, I went to college, but unsuccessfully, the differences beetwen me and those students were just to great.
I started to use drugs. It helped me whit my resociallisation, I was re born. At first. But that did not last long. I hooked myself fast on ecstasy, and to cut the long story, I ended whit 5-8 pills per night. I weighted at that time 115 and 8 pills was really much. I did not stop using E until I started to having problems whit "cataplexic wakings". Sometime at that time I started skydiving, and after first jump I was sure that I will do it whole my life. I could not afford myself to live life that I had before. I started running and gym to improve my condition which was ruined by drug use. I did not want to find myself in high risk activity such is skydiving not mentally and phisycally prepared, especially 'cos I was afraid of heights at that time. Then thing started to change. I first bought myself computer, 'cos I wanted to learn more about skydiving, then I changed my old car (25 y.o. VW beetle) 'cos it wasn't suitable for long trips to DZ. I wasn't satisfied whit my english, and I started to learn it at home just to not miss anything. I started white water kayaking, I figured it could help me whit balance, so I can improve my skydiving...Actually every thing that I did after starting skydiving is somehow conected whit it.

Where I'm now?
I run three time per week 7km, and I go in gym tree time per week. I don't even think on drugs anymore.
I'm not sure that skydiving cured PTSD, cos I still sometimes wake up in fear. But I'm not depressed and I don't feel anxiety anymore.
Only bad thing is that I'm always broke, like I was when I was drug user, and I feel like I fell from somewere when I'm whit my wuffo friends.;)

I.P.

Why unfortunately? It seems like if skydiving brings together all sorts of people with mental disorders, we are like a world wide support group! Secondly, I feel that extreme sports is a healthier way to treat some disorders. Using the bodys natural chemistry rather than the pharmacy.

--------------

On the other hand, having support is one thing, getting better is another. I don't think that the way to help someone with anorexia, for example, is to put them in a room with a bunch of other people with the same disorder and have them take care of eachother. There are disorders which will not be "cured", but at the same time, it is good to find support in groups, but not hide behind that support in order that you feel more "normal" relative to all the other people around you who you can say are at least as bad or worse off than yourself, rather than trying to get better.

Just a thought.

Steve

The question is, what did he mean by that? If most people who are treated with SSRIs are in a fairly minor depression that can only be classified as a disorder because they're complaining, then it's possible that placebos will be almost as effective. All that means is that, while the drugs do work, they're not really necessary in most cases.

EDITED TO ADD: I didn't mean to say that all cases of depression can be solved by just deciding not to be depressed, but perhaps most can be? Skydiving comes in as a helper in the decision process, a positive reinforcement, and the person just forgets about being depressed. There's a saying in psychology - "Everything psychological is also biological". Well, maybe it cuts both ways in this case. Biological depression can also be psychological?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I don't believe that for a hot second.

I don't either, but I do agree that you can shape your thought patterns to somewhat help mitigate the problem.

No one really knows how the mind works. My pet theory is that thoughts, being electrochemical impulses, can alter the brain chemistry. So "depressed thoughts" can bring about a biochemical state that reinforces depressed thinking. The converse also seems to make sense.

In my case I was relatively happy until I went through the whole divorce thing. I almost immediately went into a severe depression that I still take meds for.

I'm generally upbeat now (though I seem to get stressed out easier than before) and I've tried going off meds to see if I had everything back together.

BAD idea. I was good for about 2 weeks and had a bad crash.

So meds DO work. And I'm pretty sure I'd be a mess without them. But I also try and stay positive about things to keep my mood stable.

Oh, and exercise and BASE jumps do WONDERS for my mood. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon