SpeedRacer

question for computer nerds

About 2 months ago I downloaded a free video player (I think it was called RealAudio or something like that). After a while my computer started f&*king up... getting slow, freezing up, etc. I checked the "performance" and after some research I realized I was getting memory leaks. I uninstalled the video player & now my puter is normal again.

Why does this happen? How do I prevent it if I wanna get the video player again?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Personally I hate RealAudio and it's players. I find it to be like a virus! Installing this and that here and there. I just personally don't use it. although that means that there is some video that I don't see as a result of it.

Maybe the current version that they have out isn't up to snuff and thus the memory leaks. As for how you can prevent it if you want the player, maybe download the most basic version of what they offer and hope for the best. However if the mem leak problem is a problem with the current version it may not be preventable until a patch is issued.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Real Player has bugs. Tons of them. In one office, we saw performance problems on almost half of the machines. It turned out that Real was trying to use 100% of the processor when it was supposed to idling in the taskbar. Occasionally it would continue to run in the background, even after the user thought that it had been closed. Unistalling Real and refusing to reinstall it solved the problem.

First off, who are you calling nerd?..er..er...nevermind, I'm one :P

Second: RealPlayer has been working on all my machines without a problem, what version of Winblows are you running?, did you install any of the service packs?

The latest version of RealPlayer works fine, I have several machines with basically ALL versions of Windows.

After uninstalling, check under PROGRAM FILES if you still have a REAL directory (Where RealPlayer is installed) if you do, whacked, reboot and try again.

I've found RealPlayer to be generally unreliable across a number of machines and platforms.

To date, I've also never found any worthwhile content that was only available in that format. So I've never bothered following up and re-installing it.

Is there any other player that will play RM. files that you can use instead ? [:/]

The answer is NO, .rm OR .ram files are proprietary, only RP can play them.

I use windows media player thru XP Pro for really just about everything and havent had too much trouble out of it.[:/]

- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

Is there any other player that will play RM. files that you can use instead ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The answer is NO, .rm OR .ram files are proprietary, only RP can play them.

Can you say... Betamax? ;)

Media player through Win. XP has always worked for me as well. I have also had alot of luck with Quick Time.

;) Good luck!

-T

After uninstalling, check under PROGRAM FILES if you still have a REAL directory (Where RealPlayer is installed) if you do, whacked, reboot and try again.

"whacked"??:S

um I did uninstall it a long time ago. But yeah, the REAL directory is still there. But what are you saying, re-install it from the folder?(wouldn't I have the same problems as before?) or should I delete the folder & get the RealPlayer from the website again (& hope I get a new, repaired version).
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Can you say... Betamax? ;)

I owned a Beta until a year ago. Tapes finally got too hard to find, not to mention the lack of a timer feature, and I can fit my VCR, DVD player, and Playstation 2 on the same shelf that was completely filled by the Betamax.

"whacked"??:S

um I did uninstall it a long time ago. But yeah, the REAL directory is still there. But what are you saying, re-install it from the folder?(wouldn't I have the same problems as before?) or should I delete the folder & get the RealPlayer from the website again (& hope I get a new, repaired version).

I meant Whack it :D anyway, go to real.com and dl the newest version

RP WAS on all the machines at work untill I uninstalled them all. Its just a freakin annoying program. once you open it, it takes about 20 clicks to get out of it. or a couple clicks once you use ctrl+alt+del :S

Matt

Firstly your problem is Win98, worst OS ever, if you can ditch it and upgrade then do so, W2K or XP.
Never had a problem on any of my machines with real player( and I have gone through a lot of systems)
Someone asked about MemTurbo, yes it works fine, i have no complaints

my viao laptop came with it installed, had major problems whenever I installed new hardware. would take at least 1 hr to recognize plug and play hardware. once I upgraded to XP the laptop finds and installs hardware no problem:D maybe it was just a bug on this system, but was I glad to get rid of it.

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

I have never met a single hardware setup that played well with ME.
To this day, Windows 2000 is the only operating system i swear by, not at, including XP.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Well, I've installed WinME left and right, I even sold systems (custom) with ME loaded, none of my customers ever called with problems with the OS, as a matter of fact, this computer right here, has EVERYTHING, Web cam, Digital camera, Scanner, NIC, DVD player, CD burner and I never had a problem. 2 laptops (a Toshiba and a IBM StinkPad 770) both run WinME, no problems.

I'm good huh? :)