RevJim

Net Connection Speed?

Pretty cool site here too.
http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_3000.asp
Tests your internet connection speed. I ran it a few times.
Now I pay for a basic level (300k) cable modem, so i wasn't expecting blazing speed, but the first time I tried this, I got 26.94 Mbps (3.367 MBps).
I thought "Holy SHIT!" Then Irealized it must have been aserious fluke in the system. There is no way the cable company would let me sustain these speeds for the price I pay, so I tried it a few more times. Here's what I got:
#2: 86.806 Mbps (10.851 MBps)
#3: 106.534 Mbps (13.317 MBps)
#4: 106.534 Mbps (13.317 MBps)

OK, I give up. Someone else want to try this, and let me know if they get absurdly high numbers?

I know my connection always seemed fast....File transfers are snappy....Morpheus is usually limited by the "other" users bandwidth, but this is just not possible, is it?

p.s. Even though it says the files are not cached on your system, I flushed it before the last test, and it still pegged the meter.....3 megs in lesst than 30 seconds.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

File Size: 2.9297 MB
Time Elapsed: 16.073 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.458 Mbps
(186.65 KBps)

About right for me. Granted this is on a shared interanl LAN that my roommate has Kazaa set to download 24/7 for the next 15 years with the amount of stuff queued....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

File Size: 2.9297 MB
Time Elapsed: 16.073 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.458 Mbps
(186.65 KBps)

About right for me. Granted this is on a shared interanl LAN that my roommate has Kazaa set to download 24/7 for the next 15 years with the amount of stuff queued....

OK, want to explain this one then?
http://webpages.charter.net/iskydive/images/netspeed.JPG
It's your life, live it!

Not complaining, not at all.
I used the test you supplied, and the links on the bottom of tha page for more, and got varying results, from 385k in the bahamas to 1.2M in Texas to 1.8M in Ohio, and the shocker, lol, 225k to California.

I'll just keep my mouth shut for now. When it really slows down, I'll call the cable company and complain....
It's your life, live it!

Those numbers are faster then I'm getting on my servers in datacenters with oc-13 connectivity, which is showing 2.19 Mbps (280.3KBps)

I can only presume that they're testing against some kind of proxy on your providers network. Do you have any proxy's defined in your IE settings? Do you know if your provider does an 'invisible' proxy?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

No proxies defined, and no other proxies that I am aware of, Andy.

I'm on a very small node here, and it's less than ten miles from this node to the datacenter which connects to a major backbone. All this in the land of cheese..

p.s. Thanks for posting it again, I was able to remember what I said when I read your "slightly revamped" post again.
It's your life, live it!

I'm on a very small node here, and it's less than ten miles from this node to the datacenter which connects to a major backbone. All this in the land of cheese..

Just so you understand what you're saying... your cable modem is giving 10 times faster connection then my datacenter.

While I guess that it's possible, if it is the case then I'm paying WAY too much for my datacenter. ;)

BTW - distance to datacenter is irrelevant with cable modems, it only plays a significant role with DSL lines.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

True, somewhat. Cable modems are more dependant on user per node than distance. Distance does play a factor though. I'm on a small node, which helps. I'm actually disputing the initial test. That's why I posted it, for others to get false readings too(hopefully). The other tests, though, are giving me varying readings, which is what i expected. Still much higher than i am paying for, but less than a T3... B|

It's your life, live it!

was downloading Norwegian Chronicle,
re: Bivar (carwash)...34mb wmv file-
tested connection speed-
#1 time 16.86 Speed 1.39 mbps
#2 after download-
time 13.73 Speed 1.25 mbps

Cable connection-
Smiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Yep, that's the one I tried above in Texas. Just tried again and got 1.3 Mbps.
B|
It's not like I'm gonna call my cable company and complain!
Get aprox a 1.5Mb connection for a 300k price.....would YOU complain?
It's your life, live it!

Since you mentioned street, I assume you are on a cable modem? They are supposed to cap them long before they get to your street. Try the first link I gave, and compare the two. Just wanting to see how far off base Mcafee is, as usual.
It's your life, live it!

:Pah, nice link!

result:
1.4 megabits per second (communication)
171.4 kilobytes per sec. (storage)
1 mb file download= 3.7 sec.

rating:
compared to all connection types worldwide- mine is fantastic......

shit better not tell shaw cable (vancouver b.c. canada) that!!!
wondering about something I changed in my windows system.....that took out a set regulated amount for online speed???
Should I restore this back to original? or should I leave as is?.....what difference does it make if any??

Smiles;)

[Version]
signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=Delete_Reg_Entries

[Delete_Reg_Entries]
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,DefaultRcvWindow
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,Tcp1323Opts
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Adjusting your recieve and send frames helps some what... whats better is altering the modem config to make it and the network think that its a local node and there for gets priority on the transmissions and recievals.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Adjusting your recieve and send frames helps some what... whats better is altering the modem config to make it and the network think that its a local node and there for gets priority on the transmissions and recievals.

And to do that you would..........?
It's your life, live it!

Alter the binary files on the modem... and in the process violate the EUA that you signed and gretly increase the risk of being tossed off the system whn you start pulling fiber speeds 24/7 and terminating entire segments of their network.

Its not easy but a search for cable modem hacking on google will tell you all you need to know.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com