geanky

Brazil

I've been to Sao Paulo, if that's what you mean...

You'll definitely need a tourist visa- if your travel plans are imminent, I'd suggest you hustle up on that one- I've heard it can take awhile. My company took care of it for me, and apparently used a special expiditing service...

I can't remember if you need anything else (it's been awhile), but I know they made me get vaccinated.

Ask Wendy (wmw999)- not sure how recently, but she's spent a lot of time in Brazil.

Have fun and be careful! Ciao!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

please note that starting November 1st, 2002, the American Government will increase the visa processing fee for Brazilian citizens from $ 65.00 to $ 100.00 per visa. As of November 1st, 2002, a visa processing fee of $ 100.00 per visa will be charged to US citizens in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a visa to travel to the USA

OUCH!!! There went some beer money....[:/]

alysse is from Sampa. We go there all the time. Take a bulletproof vest;). And a book to read (rough guide or lonely planeta are ok) while stuck in traffic.:S

PM us for address to Aysse's cousins' 2 restaurants, buffet style, they will treat you well skydive gringo! B|:)

Sao Paulo is like NYC never sleeps always a good restaurant or drinking hole 24hrs, and some neighborhoods are better than others.
Vila Madalena neighboorhood is a GAS! Lots of places to eat and drink and hear great music.

And like NYC, lots of live music every nite. Once I saw 10 shows in two weeks! PM me for our favorite hanoouts....Jockey Club has disco, restaurants, bars and Horses!!

Skydive Campinas! Yea!B|

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Take those small unmarked Jacksons....us$20 is worth BR $60 or so....Can buy lots of cds and clothes and stuff (skydive gear is expensive!)

I took 15 of my inlaws to dinner in a great restaurant, with bottles of wine, drinks etc. It only cost me US$100B| Impress your new friends! Sao Paulo dinners will last for HOURS of conversation and etc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

While we are on the subject. Is there a HUGE Brazilian community in Newark, NJ

Yup, all the restaurants and bars are in Ferry St, Newark, NJ, lots of food, drinks and boobies.

Yup, all the restaurants and bars are in Ferry St, Newark, NJ, lots of food, drinks and boobies.

Damn I'm good! I didn't ask but I knew it had to be Portugeuse they were speaking when I understood "Hola" and then NOT A DAMN WORD after that. My Spanish sucks...but it ain't that bad....:D

I went there last two years ago, with a visa (you get that in 1-2 days if you can go in person -- my son just picked up my dad's last month), a passport, and a credit card. Cash is good, and even though inflation has improved enormously, only change money as you need it, don't do it all at once in the beginning.

Go to the central market if you have someone local with you; it's cool. Sao Paulo itself is kind of like New York without the charm -- my brother hates the city. He lived in S. Paulo until a couple of months ago, but has moved outside the city.

If you get a chance to drive between Sao Paulo and Rio on the old highway (winds among mountains), it's a beautiful drive. Lots of little towns with beaches and the like.

Have a great trip

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ah sim Brasil, meu amor, meu pais tropical. Tenho muito saudade de voce e um dia vou voltar...

Brasil, what a place what a place. You'll have a blast! I moved down to brasil with my father and family in 1994 and then moved back to the usa to finish college. my family still lives outside Sao Paulo in the ABC region (Santo Andre, Sao Bernardo, Sao Caetano, Diadema) Sao Paulo, like everyone has said is amazing! There is always something to do and somewhere to party. Here are my suggestions...

-Try a caipirinha or two, just be ready to take a cab
- Dont get into a drinking comp with a brasilian, you will lose!!!
-Go to a churrascario (all you can eat BBQ) they are awesome
- go to the beach, only a 30 min drive if you go at the right time. its winter in brasil, but warm to us americans
- jump the skyvan in campinas, i'll have to find the link and post. great people there
- be careful who you talk to and keep your car doors locked
- the girls on the corners are really guys!!! lol be careful hahaha

For paperwork you'll need your passport, then a visa. the visa's are 10 years now, let you stay in th country for 90 days at a time, but you don't have to renew it. i think they are 110 or 120, i forgot. when you fill out your paperwork on the plane make sure you don't put down that you have over 500 in merchandise, you'll get flagged and the tax rate could be 150%. if you're taking a laptop with you, go to the customs agency in the USA airport and have them fill out the ownership paper. basically it proves that you left the us with the laptop, that it is yours and that you will leave brasil with it as well. they are really strict on people trying to get electronics in etc. cooperate with the customs agents, they're really nice as long as you don't act like an ass. people down there don't like bush at the momment, so hopefully you won't get the dick who is trying to save the world.

if you need anything else answered let me know. my dad just flew in and out of brasil last month and some friends of the family last week. you'll probably be going into congonhas (GRU) let me know what airline as some are better than others

blue skies tchau tchau

chris
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

congonhas (GRU)

Just to avoid confusion; Congonhas is the old airport in Sao Paulo, GRU is Guarulhos, and is the one you're likely to be flying into.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Chris and Wendy, vamos ver se este cara realmente acaba tomando um choppe na Avenida Paulista!!

Alysse grew up in the area on that road(s) from Sao Paulo to Rio. (Sao Jose dos Campos etc) and if you go north off that road you will hang out in high hills with swiss chalets (Campos de Jordao, Lindoia etc)

if you head south off that road you wind down the Mata Atlantida Rain Forest Mountains to Caraguatachuva and Ubachuva.....Her family has a beach house there!:ph34r:

A proxima vez que vou la, prometo que tomo mais que um, mas nao na Avenida Paulista. Muito melhor em quase qualquer outro lugar!

Trindade; sim. Ainda o Rio. Mas o menos tempo que passo na cidade de S. Paulo, o mais contente que fico B|

Wendy W.

You need a tourist visa. They last five years and cost about US$50 or so, I believe. The Brazilian consulate was very prompt when I applied for mine. You have to send your passport into the consulate and they stamp it for you and stuff. Check out the State Department's website for travel advisories.

My own recommendations:

- Rio is a good time. Corcovado, Pao de Acucar, and the Jardin Botanico are awesome.

- Try the sucos - they are amazing. Don't get the same kinds of fruits you can get in the USA. The acai are extremely good.

- Feijodas are bland, but good to try.

- Caparinias (spelling) are mandatory. Don't bother calling yourself a drinker if you come back without trying one.

- Brazilian BBQ's - churrascarias are AWESOME. Go hungry as hell and unleash.....you WON'T be disappointed

- Don't leave the country without going down to Foz do Iguacu. Niagara is a toilet. Victoria Falls pale in comparison. These are by far and away the best waterfalls I've seen ANYWHERE. There's a kickass aviarywhere you can hold a macaw on the Brazilian side. Cross the border into Argentina for a steak and some Argentinian wine. Going into Paraguay just to be there from Foz do Iguacu is a waste of time.

That country is magnificent. Definitely go and have a good time. Post some pics to make us all jealous.

Vinny the Anvil
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

congonhas (GRU)

Just to avoid confusion; Congonhas is the old airport in Sao Paulo, GRU is Guarulhos, and is the one you're likely to be flying into.

Wendy W.

duhhhh :S notice that i got the GRU part but then used the other airport that flies domestically. desculpa gente.

ah mais uma coisa, ele falou que os pais dela tem uma casa na praia. ele sabe que e inverno agora? lol

chris
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!