pilotdave

skydivingmovies.com update

I gots no news.

But, I'm getting my cable internet installed on Sunday. Perhaps I'll run the server TEMPORARILY from home. Can't make any promises about speed (ok, yes I can, it'll be slow), but I'll see what I can do until a real server is set up.

Dave

Have you considered teaming up with HH and dz.com? Maybe asking for small donations for having a permenant fast server going? I don't know how much the hosting/bandwidth costs but I'd donate a few quid - skydiving videos help keep me sane(ish)!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

i should be back home from afghanistan between aug and oct... probally sep timeframe... I am willing to run the server for a time...
especially if i could get enough in donations to offset the cost of my expensive T1 line....
your call
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

We ought to figure some way to hook things up so they are in a round-robin configuration. That way, a number of us could cooperatively share the load.

The server space is easy, it is the bandwidth that is the killer. I can't fork over enough to host it myself. But I could take, say, every 5th connection request. I'm not sure how to easily rig this up in an even distributed manner among remote locations, but that is my idea. P2P would do it, but then you'd have a lot of other random connections so it isn't ideal.

Ideas from the uber-geeks?

what about writing a javascript program to randomly pick out of n# of servers that all have the same files? alll servers could be set up to mirror each other?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

In general, that's what I'm thinking. The bandwidth for doing it solo would be too much for most anyone, but if a decent number (n) of us can pitch in a full mirror that will get some (1/n) connections, it could work. The question is how to set everything up. That and who can contribute some bandwidth to be one of the mirrors. The more we have, the easier it is on all participants.

I've got one word for ya.

Mirrors;)

Have something like ftp.skydivingmovies.com, ftp1.skydivingmovies.com, etc. Proceed down the list as speed decreases. A webpage on www.skydivingmovies.com can hook you up with the current best server.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

To be honest, what's there to coordinate? Anyone who wants to host a mirror tells pilotdave and hosts a mirror. I can write the script for that page. I would volunteer my internet connection for a mirror if it was actually my connection (if it wasn't shared).

The "saving lives with your computer" thread was successful. I'm sure we can find folks on dropzone.com who could run these mirrors.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

gona get my dsl set up soon.. i'd be willing to host a mirror site as long as someone tells me what i need to install/ setup to have it work...

p.s. i'd be willing to send a hd to someone to make the miror on so it wouldn't take a week to download...

In case anyone missed it, a temporary server is up and running. In only the last 8 hours, 2 gigs have been downloaded in 236 files. 169 different files were downloaded. I'm trying to limit bandwidth usage a little since it's running on my own PC, so I'm not gonna repost the IP address until the usage dies down a little.

Craig Poxon actually owns the skydivingmovies.com domain name. He once mentioned that the domain can be set up for load sharing, so www.skydivingmovies.com would forward you to one of the mirrors that can handle the load. That would work really well if a few others wanted to run servers. The only issue is we'd need to come up with some scheme to deal with uploads, so they end up on all the servers easily.

Craig, ya here? Am I correct?

Dave

dsl should be hooked up by next weekend...1.5mbs down but only 128kbs up... but if i can help i will........might even check into see how much extra it'll cost to bumb the upstream numbers a little.....

I get a little over 500 kbs upload on my cable connection. The server was using up to about 135 when I checked yesterday. Course the server software lets me set a maximum if I want to. I started the server almost right away after getting the cable up and running. That way I wouldn't notice any speed reduction. :)
But the good news: I think the real server, on a T1 line, will be up and running soon (anywhere from 2 hours from now to who knows when). Keep your fingers crossed!

Dave

ok, one more update. The temporary server is down to conserve bandwidth while I upload to the BRAND SPANKING NEW SKYDIVINGMOVIES.COM! (It's not available for public consumption yet. I'll make it available when uploading is done.)

Problem is, all of a sudden my max bandwidth for uploading dropped from about 500 kb/s to about 17 kb/s. No idea why. So uploading 11 gigs is gonna take.... a while. Someone else can do the math. Anyway, it's started, and it'll hopefully keep going all day.

Almost there!

Dave

Problem is, all of a sudden my max bandwidth for uploading dropped from about 500 kb/s to about 17 kb/s. No idea why. So uploading 11 gigs is gonna take.... a while. Someone else can do the math.

~ 180 hours? i.e. 7.5 days! Down from about 6 hours at 500 kb/s! Did I get the decimal point right?

Let me know when it's done and I'll change over the IP. I'm going to be out of the country from Thursday until Monday though and likely without any net access.

Erg? :S The (new) site's the only website runnin on a full T1, and the only site on that machine right now -lol- I just downloaded a movie at over 100k -lol- If the upload speed doesnt pck up let me know and I'll look into it! Do you have a messenger dave?
-System.Windows.IUnknown.Crash.Reboot.Crash.Reboot.Freeze.Crash.Reboot.Break.Stuff.dot...

The problem's on my end, not yours. I've noticed my temp server has been maxing out at 17 k/s for the last day or 2, and my connection has been just completely slow. I wonder if the cable company didn't appreciate the 15+ gigs downloaded over the last week from my computer.

Since starting it this morning, 9% has finished uploading. Gonna be a long time unless I can fix my speed problem.

The good news is that I found some really cool software to manage the syncing of the two servers for me. It would be perfect if multiple mirrors were running.

Dave

This is actually not too hard; it's the sort of thing I do for a living.

Your cable modem company probably doesn't allow servers to be hosted and when your bandwidth spiked they caught it and capped you. You need to call them and find out if you can get the cap removed or if you're hosed; if you're hosed you might as well give up on being a mirror.

I can easily assist in setting this up; Round-robin requests can be set up with DNS; and the mirror servers can be set to sync with something like RSYNC to keep all the files the same everywhere.

First thing is we need to get a list of who'll be running the mirrors and how much bandwidth they have so we can set it up in a sensible way.

Another option would be to just start putting the skydiving movies on a peer-to-peer system. If we had a few people who were willing to 'host' permanent servers, the movies would stay accessible and the load could be shared that way pretty well.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth