MattM

My babies... (for us geeks)

Yes, I'm running it now on Redhat. That doesnt mean that it will run on Linux running on a Sun box. the software still have to written for the 64 bit sparc instruction set.

There are versions of Linux written for SPARC processors (example here), but to be honest, I'm strictly an x86 man and haven't used Sun systems (though a little birdie told me recently that Solaris boxes are for sale at Boeing surplus, so I might take a shot at it).
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Yes, I'm running it now on Redhat. That doesnt mean that it will run on Linux running on a Sun box. the software still have to written for the 64 bit sparc instruction set.

There are versions of Linux written for SPARC processors (example here), but to be honest, I'm strictly an x86 man and haven't used Sun systems (though a little birdie told me recently that Solaris boxes are for sale at Boeing surplus, so I might take a shot at it).

Yes this is true. However, as the OS must be written to run on the sparc, so does the software. You CAN run Linux on sparc, no problem. But you cannot then just install any ol linux software on it. It must be specifically written to run on the Sparc version of Linux in the same way that you can run a version Solaris on an X86 cpu but you cant then just run any solaris software on that box.

If you want to break into the UNIX world then:

1. You rock!

2. You would probably be much better off starting out on a Linux/x86 machine than a Sun/Solaris machine

Yes this is true. However, as the OS must be written to run on the sparc, so does the software. You CAN run Linux on sparc, no problem. But you cannot then just install any ol linux software on it. It must be specifically written to run on the Sparc version of Linux in the same way that you can run a version Solaris on an X86 cpu but you cant then just run any solaris software on that box.

If you want to break into the UNIX world then:

1. You rock!

2. You would probably be much better off starting out on a Linux/x86 machine than a Sun/Solaris machine

hmmm....Harju like CDE...:)
I'm thinking that a Linux distro written for SPARC includes applications as well as the OS, however. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to have an OS to run on Solaris but no apps to go with it...:o

Unless, of course, there is an emulator available...:)

I have the best machine.. It's really fast too.. If I can ever figure out how to turn it on. So no drooling please.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

abacus.jpg

I'm thinking that a Linux distro written for SPARC includes applications as well as the OS, however. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to have an OS to run on Solaris but no apps to go with it...:o

True true. Its the third party apps...like folding@home for instance, that would have to be ported as well. The out of the box linux version wouldnt work.

And CDE blows! I'm a command line geek anyway so that doesnt bother me much.

True true. Its the third party apps...like folding@home for instance, that would have to be ported as well. The out of the box linux version wouldn't work.

>Truth.

And CDE blows! I'm a command line geek anyway so that doesnt bother me much.

I like CDE for its simple, elegant appearance, mostly. Not because it's any good...:D Can't do a lot with it that you can't already do in CLI.:D

There are distros of Linux that run on Solaris systems, and I'm confident that the Folding Initiative has been ported to Linux, because SETI@home was.

Yes but it doesn't look like the source is available. So it will only run on i86 linux not sparc.

Edit: got beat by blahr.

Too bad there isn't a solaris version. I could put a 64way Enterprise10k and a 1.5mbps of bandwith on the task. That would help our rank quite a bit.

Or you can aspire to ultimate slackdom. Using VNC, you don't even have to have a KVM.

...which works great if they're up and running their OS. Should you ever need anything in the BIOS or CMOS or say a menu within a card like a RAID controller, you're screwed. Granted, that's rare, but can be an issue.
You can't see blue screens of death either (or whatever variant there is in the OS of choice, or tell for sure that's what the problem is.

Don't get me wrong, we use it here. It just has its limitations like anything else.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

There are distros of Linux that run on Solaris systems, and I'm confident that the Folding Initiative has been ported to Linux, because SETI@home was.

Yes but it doesn't look like the source is available. So it will only run on i86 linux not sparc.

Source not available?! Zounds! :D

Does anyone know where I can get a KVM that will support PS2 on one box and USB on theother box? I have yet to find one that was mixed and that's what I need.

Just get USB to ps/2 adapters.

I have yet to find an adapter that goes from PS2 to USB plug in. I have and use the USB to PS2 on a few things to include a track ball . if someone would just flip flop that config, I'd be set.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Not a microsoft product in the whole bunch

Hell yeah, thats what i like to hear.

I jealous i haven't got to play with a 15k yet.

For the low low price of 3 or 4 million bucks you too can feel the power!
Actually this is my first time working with hardware of this magnitude. Previous experience was limited to quad cpu E450's and 420 R's
Its coolB|

I work for a resaler so i get to play with some cool shit. The biggest i've been through its the E10k. The nice part is i don't have to run anything specific on them. I just have to make sure that the hardware is in working order. Otherwise i can do what i want, as long as i don't damage them.

I work for a resaler so i get to play with some cool shit. The biggest i've been through its the E10k. The nice part is i don't have to run anything specific on them. I just have to make sure that the hardware is in working order. Otherwise i can do what i want, as long as i don't damage them.

From what I saw, the folding client for Solaris is gonna be out soon :-) Run about 200 instances of it on that puppy and you should see your name up in lights pretty darn fast!