NightJumper

4th of July

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his Ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward. Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton. At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis, had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt. Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months. John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't. So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid. Remember: freedom is never free!

Amen. Thanks for the look back. That might be why America sends its' sons and daughters into danger. So others can have freedom.
On a personnel note, Thank you all for the support you show the military. Have a safe weekend.
Patrick
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Another example of what goes on behind the scenes, some people ignore these facts and take their 'freedom' and 'liberties' for granted when sometimes they should stop and ask themselves Where all this came from?.

Thanks you, to all the veterans and patriots who gave their lives for us and gave us this wonderful country called The United States Of America.

Happy 4th of July, and let's keep America beautiful.

It is not only the sweetest but the greatest.....What other nation in the world has ever had a long running, uninterrupted democracy for over 200 years?

NONE!

God bless America, it valiant soldiers past, present and future, and all those who have made sacrifices to preserve the very ideals that the declaration of indepence and the consitituion declare....

Blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

It is not only the sweetest but the greatest.....What other nation in the world has ever had a long running, uninterrupted democracy for over 200 years?

NONE!

Psssst. Switzerland.

Hey Kevin,

I believe my comment said UNINTERRUPTED....

For references please click here http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0861401.html
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

NONE!

Psssst. Switzerland.

Hey Kevin,

I believe my comment said UNINTERRUPTED....

For references please click here http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0861401.html

Ok...clicked and read. What did I miss? I don't see any mention of a change from democracy and back.

NONE!

Psssst. Switzerland.

Ok...clicked and read. What did I miss? I don't see any mention of a change from democracy and back.

You missed the part on the 1798 - 1803 FRENCH INVASION....as well as the SWISS OLIGHARCHY.... Just under the title INTERNAL CONFLICT and CONSOLIDATION.

You probably don't realize that their constitution was enacted some 60 years after the US......http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0861400.html

And you live in Philadelphia?????Perhaps you should take a reading to the declaration of indepence, July 4, 1776??????????????????????/

Did I miss somthing that you did not?

Let me know...Thanks and blue skies man....

Kevin,

I apologize on the fact that I probably was a little strong about my response to your comments, they never been my intention to subdue anyone of thinkking the way they do, after all, this is the main principle of democracy to express themselves freely as they wish, but the fact is that the current world situation, is in fact worrisome, and some of the ideals are fading away in many of new and not so new nations, you don’t need to look far from home and see that countries very close to us such as Venezuela, Ecuador, and not so close (most muslim states, that do not separate religion and politics), are currently pushing the world backwards, instead of moving it forwards.

I am a person full of defects like everyone else, but am willing to fight and make sacrifices for the very ideals this nation stands for (and willing to concede that it is not perfect also), it is my experience that in most countries that I’ve been, the sentiment is the same about who was first to conceived the ideals of democracy and keep them, but there is no nation in this planet that has maintained it as this one has. Although there were serious discrepancies since the inception where “all men are created equal” yet there was slavery in place.

I think it is important for all of us to recognize all the sacrifices past, present and future, of the people that do sacrifice their own wellfare to fight for these ideals.

As a matter of fact I did have a discussion not long ago with my own mother who still insist that is the French revolution that came first, regardless to the fact that it came after the declaration of independence was signed…..

Blue skies!

And keep safe (ALL OF YOU) during this weekend!