gus

dz.com comments being published by UK paper?

I think the problem is not that it occurs (binge drinking etc) but that there is an implied (or explicit? I can't remember) connection between that and the murder.

I am still suspicious of the fact that Dropzone the movie was on tv about a month ago. I know it sounds dumb but there are actually psychos out there who get their ideas from tv and films. Is it reasonable to point this out or am I being crazy in thinking there could be some connection...I mean, WE know it aint quite like that, but that's not to say everyone out there does.

I dont know Emma....

The damage that was done to the rig implies quite a bit of gear knowledge. If it’s a complete outsider, he or she would have had to learn an awful lot of sport specific info. I know its only 3 cuts with a knife, but coming to it without knowing the difference between main and reserve riser, how to cover the acts, etc… makes me very doubtful it is an complete outsider. I may very well be wrong.

It may not be a season jumper either, but my gut feel is that its someone with some equipment knowledge.
Remster

it reasonable to point this out or am I being crazy in thinking there could be some connection...

You are being crazy. There is a strong possibility this murder was carried out by a jumper - I sincerely doubt they would have been motivated by an old, lame skydiving movie that happened to be on TV a month ago. Hare-brained speculation like this will only give any press reading this more ideas to write even more distorted stories.

Stop being such a girl. :P

Oh yeh forgot about that....

Although it wouldn't be too hard to find out how a rig worked if you were really determined. I just think it's a coincidence that's all.

My gut feel tells me it's a skydiver but I can't bring myself to believe it could be someone who had been in the sport long...or how could they do this? :S

My gut feel tells me it's a skydiver but I can't bring myself to believe it could be someone who had been in the sport long...or how could they do this?

I too am sickened by the thought that a skydiver could have done this, but agree it seems probable. My gut feeling is that it is probable that whoever did it not only knew enough to sabotage the rig in the way that they did, but knew enough about our flight line checks to make sure that what they had done would not be picked up - and that has to be someone who has been around the sport for a little while at least.

Really not a nice thought.

Vicki

There are nutters in all walks of life. Fortunately our community is small enough for the odds of one cropping staying quite low (ignoring the fact that skydivers tend to be a little "extrovert" :P). Unfortunately, I think we may have one loose now...

Em, can you PM me that article transcript? Cheers.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

It is a pity you don't have a scanner in your office, your photo may look more like you and less like something from Mars Attacks B|

Hmmm… yes, that photo. An interesting tale! The reason it has been zoomed in so much (and before anyone accuses me of taking the piss in any way shape or form, I’m not and will post the full picture if you don’t believe me!) is because when it was taken I was a University student (it wasn’t that long ago!), it was a Friday night and I was about to go clubbing with a male friend of mine… who just happened to be in drag at the time and was wearing a terribly fetching blonde wig and pink lycra dress… :S

Vicki