gus

dz.com comments being published by UK paper?

There's a post on uk.rec.skydiving where someone claims they read comments lifted directly from dz.com in the Daily Mail. Unfortunately the Daily Mail doesn't seem to put its editions online so I can't check and it was yesterdays (Tues 8th) paper - does anyone still have a copy?

The comments were apparantly about the fatality at Hibs so let's think carefully about what we say before we say it.

Edit: dz.com mentioned here

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

If you only knew what kind of shananigans he's trying to fandangle with immigration!

Yeah, they have threatened me with deportation to Canada but I am not eligible (since my father didn't marry his sister), lucky eh?

Still Remi I suppose it was nice that you only had to invite one family to your wedding... :P

There's a post on uk.rec.skydiving where someone claims they read comments lifted directly from dz.com in the Daily Mail. Unfortunately the Daily Mail doesn't seem to put its editions online so I can't check and it was yesterdays (Tues 8th) paper - does anyone still have a copy?

I have found a copy of the Daily Mail for 8th July lurking around the office and have read the offending article. I was going to type the article out in full for all to see exactly what the Daily Mail have been up to, but on reflection they have included quotes from posts which appear to have since been deleted so I won't as I respect the fact that the people in question may have wanted their comments taken off this site for personal reasons.

Just to give you a flavour of it though...

Adrian Blair, a fellow student at the Royal Military College of Science in Shrivenham, Wiltshire, told skydiving Internet site Dropzone.com: ..."

As has been said before - let's all be careful what we say as the press are clearly reading everything that is being written here.

Vicki

Naw, don't waste your valuable summer typing it all out, did they say anything....emm...sensitive?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Would be interested to see what they wrote though - is there nowhere online where the Daily Mail is published? It pisses me off no end that we can't even have a discussion online within our own community about such a devastating event, without some hack stealing what we write in the name of journalism.

Aren't they contravening some copyright laws?

Seems evident the skydiving community has pulled together and refused to give them the salacious tidbits they want voluntarily, so they resort to these underhand tactics. Nice.

Not only do we now have to watch our kit, we have to watch what we say too.

Would be interested to see what they wrote though - is there nowhere online where the Daily Mail is published?

PM-ed it to you.

It pisses me off no end that we can't even have a discussion online within our own community about such a devastating event, without some hack stealing what we write in the name of journalism.

That's exactly why I don't want to post it here. It pisses me off too. They have taken very personal comments that have since been deleted and published them. That sucks.

Not only do we now have to watch our kit, we have to watch what we say too.

Too right - it's a VERY sad time for British skydiving, in so many ways.

Vicki

"Aren't they contravening some copyright laws?"
I believe they might be...look at the bottom of the page..... It would be up to Sangiro to resolve things though.

"Legal Information and Notices
Posted Saturday, April 6, 2002

Copyright
All content on this site, including text, graphics, logos, icons, images, designs, audio clips, and software, is the property of Dropzone.com. or its content suppliers and is protected by international copyright laws. The compilation (meaning the collection, arrangement, and assembly) of all content on this site is the exclusive property of Dropzone.com and is protected by international copyright laws. All software used on this site is the property Dropzone.com or its software suppliers and protected by international copyright laws. The content and software on this site may be used as a resource. Any other use, including the reproduction, modification, distribution, transmission, republication, display, or performance, of the content on this site is strictly prohibited."
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Any other use, including the reproduction, modification, distribution, transmission, republication, display, or performance, of the content on this site is strictly prohibited."

Sue them.....

Seriously, I wouldnt mind having a PM of the article.... I dindt renew my subscription when we moved to Montreal...;)
Remster

Would like to see them get their asses sued. However, it is an ironic twist that keeping them sweet is probably better than pissing them off. Sick-making, it really is.

We worry about the stuff about 'binge-drinking' and wild parties being printed, but the scary fact is that any journalist who read through these forums religiously would find plenty of stuff to moisten their dirt-digging palettes.

Unfortunately our community and sport is weirdly fascinating to the rest of the world and it always will be.

We worry about the stuff about 'binge-drinking' and wild parties being printed

The thing that occurred to me on reading about the 'binge drinking' and wild parties was that the event in question was a skydiving event being run for University students. What will the tabloids come up with next? Univeristy students in drinking and partying shocker... regardless of where this is happening, I can't see that it is newsworthy!

But you're right, it is the skydiving element that fascinates them and that is why we all have to be so careful about what we say.

Sad, but true.

Vicki