malpais

Aerodyne Pilot size recommendations

Looking for some advice from the more sage members on dropzone. I have 99 jumps, weigh 178lbs soaking wet, and am looking to buy a new rig with a Pilot ZPX main canopy.

What size Pilot do you recommend? 188? 168?

I plan on putting a lot of jumps on this rig while working my way up to instructor. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Looking for some advice from the more sage members on dropzone. I have 99 jumps, weigh 178lbs soaking wet, and am looking to buy a new rig with a Pilot ZPX main canopy.

What size Pilot do you recommend? 188? 168?

I plan on putting a lot of jumps on this rig while working my way up to instructor. Any suggestions are appreciated!

A 188 will have you loaded at about 1.1. I wouldn't go smaller than that. It dives pretty fast, and it doesn't take a very hard toggle turn to see your shadow on the canopy :)

I jumped a similarly loaded Pilot for about a year, and it was fun to jump and got me back from plenty. Not at all boat-like (I'm from the past, so I've also jumped some notable boats). You'll be happy with the larger one, and it will give you more leeway to learn the cool stuff.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I jumped a 168 Pilot at around your same weight from 30 jumps to 300 or so jumps.

At 30 jumps it was probably a bit too small for me, but at 100 jumps I can look back and consider it an appropriate size. Sticking on that canopy for that many jumps was a huge help in building my skill set.

What does you canopy transition look like?

Regardless of the size you pick I would invest in canopy coaching. I started right away with classes from Scott Miller and others.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Use this skill checklist to help determine if your skills are ready for a smaller canopy:

[url]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47[/URL]

Highly suggest that you read all 22 pages of the following before you decide.  Many of these drills can be helpful to you. 

[url]http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf[/URL]
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I weighed about 175 also, and at 40 jumps got a 188. Now at 1080 jumps, I alternate the 188 with a rig with a 168. I use the 188 for no wind hot days. But I am on old fart with no titanium and hope to keep it that way ;) I think you should put several hundred jumps on the 188 then consider downsizing.

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

That's a good idea. I bought a pilot 168 after demo'ing another same canopy at the dropzone, and I think I'm around 180 with gear on. I twisted my ankle pretty badly on a jump the other week and thank myself that I was smart enough not to get anything smaller.