n2skdvn

power outages

all over the networks right now. the north east us isexperienceing power outages. they think it might be due to the weather. any one know if there was a solar flare today???
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

As a matter of fact I just got one, it lasted a few seconds, I had to restart all my computer and reset my cable modem to get a new IP and portPOST-whore.

Everything is normal now. :)
Edited to correct my boo-boo :D

there is power in Dallas but I see there is none in NYC, Northern Jersey, Detroit, Toronto, and Ottawa. I doubt from the distance between these cities that they can all be connected together. So it seems obvious to me that some group is behind this. The question is whether or not its going to go any further. I sure hope not.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

So it seems obvious to me that some group is behind this. The question is whether or not its going to go any further. I sure hope not.

You are 100% wrong.

The power grid is exactly that, a grid. They're SUPPOSED to be able to maintain the grid with mutiple independent failures, but often that is not the case.

The last time this happened, a tripped circuit breaker in new york brought down the entire east coast through a domino-like effect.

This happened almost an hour ago. If it were terrorists, we'd have heard by now.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>I doubt from the distance between these cities that they can all be connected together.

The entire country is connected together, some parts more strongly than others. The cities you list depend heavily on northern NY and Canadian hydropower, so a problem there could easily affect all of them.

Keep in mind that two years ago demand in Seattle was causing impending blackouts in San Diego. We're all in this together. (Well, everyone but me that is.)

Taken from the news:

Apparently there was also an explosion at a power plant. Terrorism? Maybe.

Just another incident? Probably.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A massive power outage swept across swaths of the eastern United States and Canada on Thursday, leaving sections of New York City, Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto without electricity, witnesses said.

Subways in New York came to a complete halt, and power was out at all three of the New York area's major airports. Commuter train service also came to a halt, and cellular telephone service was disrupted.

CNN reported a fire at a Con Edison power plant in Manhattan.

The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Forked River, New Jersey was not functioning, according to people familiar with the plant's operation.

A spokesman for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said they did not know the reason for the power outages, but said the department was looking into it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If its because the entire country is connected together then how is Ottawa, Canada and Toronto, Canada involved?

DAMN!!!! another one just hit me!!!.

On a positive note, Im glad I'm not working, otherwise I'd be stuck in NYC subway, in this heat or even worse Metro North!!! HA!!!, it's all good.

The electricity grid even extends to Mexico. It doesn't care about borders.

_Am

-------------------------
Well hopefully you're right the last thing the U.S. economy needs right now is a terrorist attack to bring it down. Thank god the stock market was closed early because of this.

DAMN!!!! another one just hit me!!!.

Not to point out the obvious, but you'd probably be doing everyone involved a favor if you shut down everything, including your computer, for awhile.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A simplified explanation of the grid is here: http://www.msnbc.com/news/297115.asp?0cv=CA01

As for the stock market, it would've handled it well. 9/11 was more then enough of a primer to handle a power problem.

The single biggest reason I doubt it's terrorism is that the continents best engineers couldn't figure out how the last one happened, so there's no way a terrorist could plan for it. It really does take a hell of a lot of bad luck for this to happen - the system is designed so it couldn't.

I'm glad I'm in chicago, tho... I was in Toronto the last time this happened, about 12 years ago IIRC. Sure did make life painful...

_Am
__

to give every one a giggle i had a friend calll me from cleaveland (i live on the gulfcoast of mississippi) and said " my power is out here is yours on?"(he's a pot head at that) i told him "nope but your fu*ked"
and then told him what was going on.:ph34r:
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

A simplified explanation of the grid is here: http://www.msnbc.com/news/297115.asp?0cv=CA01

As for the stock market, it would've handled it well. 9/11 was more then enough of a primer to handle a power problem.

The single biggest reason I doubt it's terrorism is that the continents best engineers couldn't figure out how the last one happened, so there's no way a terrorist could plan for it. It really does take a hell of a lot of bad luck for this to happen - the system is designed so it couldn't.

I'm glad I'm in chicago, tho... I was in Toronto the last time this happened, about 12 years ago IIRC. Sure did make life painful...

_Am

------------------------------
I just heard Pete Wilson explain it on FOX. There are 3 grids Eastern, Western and Texas. (Isn't that cool Texas has their own Grid) All the cities that have thus far been affected are on the Eastern Grid. Still there is the question as to what caused it. In any case its looking less likely that it was Terrorism.

Heh.. I just called Mom at the cottage, her power was out because the cottage is inbetween Toronto and Ottawa, but she had no idea it was any bigger then local. They were still planning on going into town for a restaurant dinner...

_Am
__