AggieDave

The journalist incident in Iraq

With your reasoning, since you talk about it and discuss it, you really have fucked sheep.

So you're saying that there is some doubt? :D

I don't think so, but either way, there are those who will think that defending means protesting......just my 2cts (so far I think in this thread I have accrued at lease $2.00)
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

That's not the issue anyway. The issue is the soldier mistakenly thought that the reporter had a weapon. From all indications it sounds like an honest mistake, for reasons others have listed. So we take steps to not make the same mistake in the future. Seems pretty straightforward.

Bill --

Police departments spend thousands of dollars each year at training facilicities to avoid situations like this. I'm sure you're probably aware of training facilities typically called "Hogan's Alley". Training consists of different type of subjects being presented to the officer and the officer has to make a decision to shoot or not shoot.

The problem is that an occupation of a country isn't quite the same thing as a Hogan's Alley situation. It's far worse and even with impeccable training methods, some mistakes are going to be made.

My guess is that the camera operator had at one point been briefed about his camera being mistaken for a weapon and that it was possible for him to come under fire because of it. This is a very common breifing point for camera operators not only in combat zones but also in urban areas. I'd wager a guess that most news camera operators in Los Angeles are aware of the possiblity let alone the folks in combat zones like Baghdad.

It was a very unfortunate accident, but that's all it was or indicates.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's far worse and even with impeccable training methods, some mistakes are going to be made.

Sad, but cery true indeed.

So, let's see if we can investigate the accidental shooting, see if we can learn from it and if better training programs can be developed if possible.

Personally, I think that is a better reaction than: Shit happens and the life of the US soldier is worth more than the journalist or Iraqi civilian anyways.

So, let's see if we can investigate the accidental shooting, see if we can learn from it and if better training programs can be developed if possible.

Personally, I think that is a better reaction than: Shit happens and the life of the US soldier is worth more than the journalist or Iraqi civilian anyways.

And also we could include, the training for the press.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon