alanab

mailer-demon virus??

i have an aol email address. i have recently been bombarded with returned service, mailer-demon@various providers), etc. these are just a few that i deleted this morning when i got to work:

08/25/2003 MAILER-DAEMON@aol... Returned mail: User unknown
08/25/2003 MAILER-DAEMON@mai... failure notice
08/25/2003 MAILER-DAEMON@mai... failure notice
08/24/2003 MAILER-DAEMON@aol... Returned mail: User unknown
08/24/2003 MAILER-DAEMON@mai... failure notice
08/24/2003 UnknownSender@Unk... Undeliverable message returned to sender

the funny thing is that i am not sending ANY emails out to addresses that would send the emails back to me. some of them contain attachments and some dont. but regardless i never open them, i just delete them all. this just started last week. it has not effected any of the other email addresses on my aol account, just mine. i was wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows what it is or how to fix it. please help.... i get more and more evey minute.

It's a virus. The way it works is the virus on the infected machine goes to the address book and gets 2 addresses - one becomes the sender address and one becomes the recipient address. In these cases you were the sender and a bunch of other people were the recipients.

Just delete them.

Postal Rodriguez
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

AOL...oh man!!!!

Attention people, especially the ones with Broadband, check your ACTIVITY led on your modem, since yesterday that light is going crazy (at least here), my router and firewall are blocking whatever is happening, but every now and then I get a message from the firewall saying INTRUSION BLOCKED.

Just an FYI

The virus could have infected someone that you know's PC and it is spoofing the sender to make it look like its coming from your account even though you are not infected. whats happening is the spoofed emails are being sent out to bad addresses and the providers are emailing you back (since you name IS in the sender line) to tell you that the mail was unable to be delivered.

Call your friends and have them update their virus files and do a system scan to clean the viruses.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

AOL...oh man!!!!

Attention people, especially the ones with Broadband, check your ACTIVITY led on your modem, since yesterday that light is going crazy (at least here), my router and firewall are blocking whatever is happening, but every now and then I get a message from the firewall saying INTRUSION BLOCKED.

Just an FYI

It's probably blaster - I had almost 6,000 firewall alarms over the weekend on port 135.

For the virus thing - didn't we cover this last week?
EDIT: Yes we did http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=622361#622361
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

still dont know what to do about it

If that's what it is, and you don't have the virus, there's really nothing you can do except try to figure out who has your address and is actually sending it.
Wait it out, about the best you can do.

One more good reason people who forward crap emails on annoy me. Not only are they sending me crap, but they usually don't bother to take out all the header information, or bother using BCC instead of an 800 mile (or kilometer for the metric-inclined) long "To" line, where my email address is.

so there's no way i can prevent my email address from getting tons of these every day? i just deleted 7 more!

Nope. The best you can do is look at the addresses, see if any of them look familiar, and try to figure out who you know that also knows them (or at least would have you both in their address book)
If you're on AOL.... good luck.

i just deleted 7 more!

Wahhhh!!! When you start deleting over 1000 at a time, we'll talk. There is nothing you can do to stop this as it's a failure on the receiving end. Your email is in the 'reply to' of the email, even though you didn't send it. Basically, you just have to keep deleting.
btw, my running tally of deleted emails with virus attachments is at 17,463 since last wednesday...

yep, aol:S

Well, you're probably screwed.
To stereotype AOL users:

You know those really really really annoying "... send this on to everyone to know!" chain letters, virus warnings, cute shit, funny crap, prayer requests, etc. that you have to scroll down through about 20 pages of email addresses before you actually get to the message? Yup... your address is probably on thousands of people's computer... most of whom you've don't know or have ever met.

I would venture to guess that there is at least one skydiver who has the virus on their machine... I have received several hundred of these type messages, but only to my aerialfusion.com address, and none of my others... only other skydivers have/use that address.

And its not my machine... mine's a Mac that is virus free.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke