racer42

Cessna Owners..

Looking for some real life experience at aircraft ownership. Paticularly 172s. We have done some internet exploring, and we have a pretty good understanding of aircraft in general. I was a pilot some years ago but would like to hear about the nuts and bolts of owning one. No plans on jumping out of this one. Thanks.

Kevin
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

No plans on jumping out of this one

Why not?:P

My dad used to fly a 172 for a DZ in Montana back in the mid/early '70s. He has some interesting stories about that...kinda funny since all in all Skydivers really haven't changed much.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, I guess you've figured the normal operating costs of plane ownership into the equation, right?

100hrs, annuals, tires, oil changes, etc.

100hrs are not required if the aircraft is used solely for personal use....only if used for commercial use(such as rental, instruction, skydiving ops, charter, etc).

Contact AOPA for realistic info on ownership. It's not cheap - not at all. Several years ago when I was thinking of buying one, they had a packet they sent out detailing requirements, average costs for specific repairs, average operating costs based on surveys from current owners, etc... One thing you can consider to help offset the operating costs is to put the airplane on leaseback with an FBO for rental - but then the problem is that every Joe Blow is flying it and doesn't take care of it like their own....so it may get trashed...especially if used for flight training.

Mike

I'm on my 7th airplane. Wouldn't be much help on the cost of ownership since I'm an aircraft mechanic and inspector. I don't factor my time into maintenance cost, and have a deal with hangar and fuel price.

I think you wrote 'we' as if you are purchasing the 172 with a partner. I would recommend purchasing a partnership agreement. You can find them in Trade-A-Plane. You can discuss who's taking care of scheduling the mx, keeping the flight schedule and keeping the books/paying the bills among other things.

Before you buy an airplane you should have a mechanic perform a prepurchace inspection. This should be similar to an annual inspection. Above and beyond the prepurchase inspection, there are certain areas to look at on cessna aircraft, such as corrosion, especially in the wings, but look in the belly and empanage too. I look at the landing gear attach points otherwise known as the saddles for cracks. Another area to look for cracks is where the tail attaches to the empanage. Finally, I look at the nose gear where it attaches to the firewall for bends where it may have had a nose wheel first landing. These are big ticket items that should be right before you buy the aircraft. I don't get too wrapped up in panel lights inop and cracked interior pieces. They can easily be fixed.

There are several books on owning an aircraft, but I can't think of the titles right now. Aviation Consumer will fax an article on the 172 for a slight charge. You can use it to decide which model 172 is best for you.

After you found your airplane, but before you buy it have a title search performed and request that they send you the 337's with any damage on them. Look for Title Searches in Trade-A-Plane. The title search will show if there are any liens on the aircraft and if there are any other problems with the title. The 337 search will show if there are any major repairs that the owner is trying to hide or may not know himself.

Afer you buy it, don't forget to register it with the FAA.

Hope this helps.

David Paschall

Thanks all for the input. I just recieved an email from my brother in law who has owned about four airplanes.
Unless I can quadruple my income in the next year, I don't see this happening. AT ALL. I knew it sounded way to easy. I guess planes are just like boats in the sky. Except you get to add the FAA into the mix.
Sorry Jeff. We would have been happy to drop you off most anywhere.[:/]
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I've flown hundreds of hours in them, but could never bring myself to own a 172. I much prefer the wider cabin of my brand new Alarus with it's full Garmin IFR stack to some clunky old plane designed in the 50's

I haven't met a single A&P that would recomend a Cessna over a Piper.

That best plane in terms of ownership cost will be an experimental, unless you are an A&P.

I much prefer the wider cabin of my brand new Alarus with it's full Garmin IFR stack to some clunky old plane designed in the 50's

Hmmm...never heard of the Alarus until this post, and I did a Yahoo search....and found a bit of info about it. What do those sell for?

Looks like a nice little airplane, about equivalent in performance to a C-152.

That best plane in terms of ownership cost will be an experimental, unless you are an A&P.

That's the route I'm gonna go....experimental, that is...not the A&P(though I would like to, just not enough free time)..

Mike

I haven't met a single A&P that would recomend a Cessna over a Piper.

I much prefer the wider cabin of my brand new Alarus with it's full Garmin IFR stack to some clunky old plane designed in the 50's

Hmmm...never heard of the Alarus until this post, and I did a Yahoo search....and found a bit of info about it. What do those sell for?

Looks like a nice little airplane, about equivalent in performance to a C-152.

A new Alarus is only $129,500. As for performance, it is much better than a C-152. The only thing these two planes share is number of seats. You can put two real people in the Alarus and it will fly faster and climb better than the Cessna. I've had students as heavy as 320 lbs. in the Alarus. It was really uncomfortable flying with this guy in a C-172 and there is no way he could even fly solo in a C-152.