skymama

For Sale: 14 year old girl...cheap!

I'll gladly add my 14 y/o female to the acution. She has gone from straight A's to even praying for a high C at this point. Granted they are Honors classes and I'll accpet a B gladly, but a C....NEVER. Any ideas for punishment if she doesn't pull the B out of Science?

We're in the exact same boat! I'm trying to give her some leeway because of all the changes going on in our lives now and for the fact that she just started high school. But there comes a point where they have to have a little pride in themselves and work up to their potential. Anything below a B is unacceptable in my house also. She's already had the computer taken away because of her low Biology grade, and the phone because of her attitude. I'm running out of things to take away from her!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Unless they're Russian immigrants where the boys have to be macho and wrestle and punch and such to show how tough they are, and the girls sulk and mumble incoherently when you ask them why they are slumped on the floor crying. Oh, and forget trying to learn English, they're all going back to their own country just as soon as they graduate from h.s.

I love my job too. Really. I have time off in the summer to jump.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

HUM, wonder what it is about 9th grade Science? Ash has brought a 63 up to a 77 in a week so I KNOW she can do it. I figure the TV (no CHARMED), the computer (no IM), and the phone (no BOYFRIEND) are already gone too so next will be cheerleading or dance or gymnastics or teaching and then we'll se just how motivated she can get.

As for the flogging, unfortunately I've never had to lay a hand on eith of my girls....my dirty looks can reduce them to tears w/o ever touching them.

Now my middle school students I just send to the office and the Assistant principals lay hands on them for me.B|

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I have a newer model, a 1993, she's starting to have the the beginnings of the same malfunctions, but for now as long as you give her the right grade of fuel, and LOTS of maintenance, she seems to keep running smooth.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

As for the flogging, unfortunately I've never had to lay a hand on eith of my girls....my dirty looks can reduce them to tears w/o ever touching them.

LOL...I don't hit them either. My look this morning did reduce her to tears. When I told her to stop crying and get in the car, she very dramatically said, "but they're my tears and I can cry if I want to." Yeah, whatever, just quit crying and get in the car! :P
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

LOL...I don't hit them either. My look this morning did reduce her to tears. When I told her to stop crying and get in the car, she very dramatically said, "but they're my tears and I can cry if I want to." Yeah, whatever, just quit crying and get in the car! :P

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want to go through that!

Say it ain't so! Tell me it ain't so!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I never tell mine to stop crying. I continue on with life as if I don't see the tears. Eventually they figure out tears do not effect me at all. Now Ash has started to slam her door when she is mad, so I figure I'll take her door off for a week next time she does it. That should effectively put an end to that habit.B|

--
Hot Mama

Oh my god. I can't believe I'm reading this. Do mothers actually enjoy breeding contempt?

Andrea

Anything below a B is unacceptable in my house also.

Lisa

Granted they are Honors classes and I'll accpet a B gladly, but a C....NEVER. Any ideas for punishment if she doesn't pull the B out of Science?

Read, please.
http://www.lifepositive.com/Mind/psychology/stress/anxiety-in-children.asp
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

5'3, 115 pounds, sassy mouth and full of attitude. Very intelligent but won't apply herself. Feels that you should be proud of her that her Biology grade went from a .7 to a 1.0. Thinks exercise means moving from the computer to the tv. Has a telephone growning out of her ear. Won't listen to your advice about boys, clothes or make-up, but if her friends tell her the same thing, they are geniuses. She can be sweet, but only when she wants money or a ride somewhere. Prone to arguements, tears, sulking and door slamming all before 7 am (guess how MY morning was today!)

If you are interested....you're a glutton for punishment! :P

Sounds like you have somehow gotten hold of my 15 year old son.
Why not keep him till he is about 25 then return him . Or at least till he figures out that he doesnt know shit about anything.

BTW, I've managed to keep him on the right side of failing in school with my version of grounding.

1. NO COMPUTER OR INTERNET ACCESS OF ANY KIND
(this means e-mail, Instant messenger, Everquest, other games, etc)
2. No TV
3. No music
4. No X-Box or any other type of game
5. NO TELEPHONE CALLS
6. Lots of chores

This goes on for 2 weeks for each class that is failed. Sentances run consecutively.

For a 15 year old this is very hard time.

My daughter is very intelligent and was on the Honor Roll her entire life until this year in High School. She is totally not applying herself and is more concerned about her social life. The lowest B is an 80. It requires hardly any effort to pass with an 80, all you have to do is do your homework and study for tests. She was making F's in Biology. Now that we cracked down on her, she made a 92 on her last test! If she was average, she would be allowed to get C's. She is equally as smart as I was, or maybe even smarter. I expect no more from her than I did for myself. I graduated high school with a 3.8, and that's when I swam 4 hours a day in addition to going to school. I don't think expecting A's and B's is asking too much for her when she doesn't have a sport OR a job to go to after school.

Yeah, I've read all that and even minored in Psych in college. Know all that I also know that my daughter is quite gifted (yes, she has been tested) and capable of doing all the assignments for her honors classes and pulling an accpetable grade (B or better)while never opening a book. If she opens a book once in awhile she is capable of an A every time.

I allow her to participate in way more extra activities than most kids her age because she is more capable of handling it. No many girls her age participate in 3 performing dance groups, teach 3 dance classes a week, cheer for the varsity and junior varsity football teams, take gymnastics, attend all cheer classes for both squads, and hang out on the internet for several hours a day when I allow it. Reading all that about stress is hysterical because my child is the least stressed person I know.

As a teacher and a parent I believe you need to set the expectations high or your student or children will never reach a higher standard of performance. If you expect crap, you'll get crap. That said crap is not expected or accepted here.

--
Hot Mama

And my brother (after handing me his adorable 2 year old who'll smile and hug and kiss you) asks me why I don't have any plans for kids.

"They become teenagers eventually" is my usual answer.

Older friends with grown up children says it's the worst period- once they reach their twenties, they're like best friends once more.

But I just CANNOT STAND teenagers. Left up to me, teenagers would be sent to reeducation camps until they realize that the world won't stop without 'em.

If I ever get kids chances are they'll be like me when I was a teenager. Don't think I want to subject myself to that.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

When they're teenagers it's much harder to come up with natural consequences that they can learn from and will respect. They really have most of the pure reasoning power of an adult, without any of the information that makes that reasoning work.

"Mom, I don't trust you. I've never trusted you. You've never given me any reason to trust you"
(I'm biting my lips)
"Just last week, I put Cokes on the grocery list, and you didn't buy the!"

I kept a straight face.

See if you can find a way for her to hang out with some kids in college who are nice; maybe a church group or sport group -- they will be infinitely smarter than you are, and might remind her that how she does in high school can impact college. Not just the grades, but the amount she learns (that was the biggest surprise for my son).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Tic tic tic. Time bomb.

Listen to yourselves. Seriously. I'm not going to take you by the hand and point. Just take a step back and look at exactly what you are doing to your children's lives.

I'm not going to say what it's like in this house, with 4 children ranging in age from 12 to 4, but I will say it's quite a bit better than what I hear.

If your children are really that gifted, they will do what they want anyway, and they already know the repercussions of their actions.

Sometimes when you give an inch, you can gain a mile.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

See if you can find a way for her to hang out with some kids in college who are nice; maybe a church group or sport group -- they will be infinitely smarter than you are, and might remind her that how she does in high school can impact college. Not just the grades, but the amount she learns (that was the biggest surprise for my son).

She joined Key Club at school because she wanted to socialize with her friends and I told her she had to join something. It is a community service club, so I was thrilled. The only problem is, she doesn't want to go if her friends aren't going. Yesterday, we had a big talk about commitment and responsibility when she didn't want to do her turn at the Ronald McDonald House because her friend wasn't going. I made her go and I was considered "mean". Of course, when I picked her up she went on and on about how much fun she had! :S I think Key Club is a great group and hopefully will make her a little less self-centered if she keeps volunteering places.