skymama

For Sale: 14 year old girl...cheap!

:P hormones or brain development?
MRI's have developed along with testing of the brain, very interesting stuff when studying the teenagers brain.

The brains anatomy during teen years is changing dynamically. The brain has reached 90% of its full size by age of 6 -but it is not developed. The individual elements of the brain continues to evolve into the age of 20.

The last parts of the brain to complete this maturation process is the prefrontal cortex-
responsible for Planning, Judgement and Self Control

Mood swings, irrational behavior, rebelling, risk taking---parents have to set limits and boundaries but also understand that there are behaviors that teenagers can not easily control. Emotional decision making is limited at a time when parents and teachers are expecting it.

The more parents understand that a biological limitation in abiliy to control and regulate emotion, the more they might be able to back off and be more understanding. Re: there is the emotional thinking brain and the thinking brain- teens are using the emotional.

The belief you hold about your teen has a powerful impact on the quality of your communication with them.

SMiles;)
;)

I used to use this gambit on my sister when she was doing the 14-yr old 'attitude':

Tell her that, "You have no rights as a minor and in the state of Maine it is still legal for a 14-yr old to marry. Behave or I will arrange a marriage for you in Maine.";):P

You have to use your most serious 'matter-of-fact' tone of voice. Who knows, she might buy it.

Ken

Unless, of course, she replied "But that would mean I'd stop getting paid to do it, right?"

Ouch.

B|
:ph34r:

This thread reminds me of a scene in
The Sopranos...

Tony and Carmillia are in bed discussing
punishment for Meadow...
After several options are brought up, Tony
closes the talk with...

"If she ever figures out just how powerless we
really are....WE'RE F**KED!"

[:/][:/][:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I am not a parent, but I was that kid who did really well until High school. It really kicked my ass unles it was football or basketball season (had to get the grades to make the team). My biggest problem wasn't the moving (my dad was in the Army) or the wrong friends (I had a lot of those). It was the factthat I got bored so easily. I was in all the gifted classes and stuff like that. The answer for me was to do Independent Studies. I only had to go to school for the sports. The rest was done on my own, on my time. As fast or as slow as I wanted to do it. As long as I turned in my assingments on Friday. I even graduated a year early! I would just get so bored sitting in class waiting for everyone else to "get it" that I would be a distraction to the other kids. Started all the ditching and what not. Once we all figured it out, I was happy and would knock the work out. It even gave me a chance to get a job and buy my own car and stuff like that. I still got to be involved socially as well. Just didn't have to sit in that boring class room!
Dom

There's a lot to be said for independent study. My son went to a very small private school which had a lot of it. While he didn't necessarily learn as many academics as he would have in class, he did learn that his work was HIS responsibility, in a far more direct way than he was on the path to learning. And that's one of the more important lessons of high school for some kids.

He graduated a semester early; during htat senior slump time, he was already out of school!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)