base698

Subcultures/Social Worlds

If memory serves me correctly, a social world is a group of people (like skaters or punks) that have a set of lingo, dress similar, and listen to the same music. In order to be a true subculture the members must act (with eachother) outside the bounds of society. So, by that definition skydiving is a subculture because typically we interact at the DZ.

Am I right?

Part of the discussion I was having with wuffo friends also included the comment skydiving is so much cooler because we don't have posers. There is no incentive socially to pretend you are a skydiver (in most cases) :)

You haven't seen a guy trying to talk to a chick at a bar saying that he was a skydiver and wasn't one?

I also think that people who do 1 or 2 tandems then nothing else that call themselves skydivers are also posers. Cool, you did a jump, do you know how to track, do you know how to fall stable, do you know how to turn, do you even know how to pull? Yup, poser.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

At one time I was associating with four different sub-cultures simultaneously.
I was serving in the Canadian Armed Forces, and associating with skydivers, Boy Scouts and musicians.
Oh! and I was taking night school classes at Saint Mary's University.
I had to keep those different groups of friends separate because if the CAF ever found out that some of my musician friends were gay they would have thrown me in jail. I never had sex with any of the the musicians, I just thought they were fun people to party with.
Also if the CAF ever found out that I smoked marijuana with my skydiving friends, they would have thrown me in jail.