jrmrangers

low volume reserves

I know im going to get hit with "search button" replies here but i tried about 15 different searches with no clarification so here it goes. I found a rig that fits me perfectly and the main is just what im looking for, the problem is the reserve size. I would be more comfy with a larger reserve so im trying to find out are there other low volume reserves out there besides the optimum? Im going to talk to my rigger tomorrow when i see him but i would like to do a little on line research first. Thanks in advance!
Wait , I pull what first?

the problem is the reserve size. I would be more comfy with a larger reserve so im trying to find out are there other low volume reserves out there besides the optimum?

Look at the data panel on the rig and find the cubic inch volume of the reserve pack. Then go to the back of a ParaGear catalog and find the canopy size chart, which lists all current production canopies and their pack volumes. See how many reserves you can find there that match your cubic inch volume.

Based on what you think that Optimum is the best?

Because the original poster is in the USA.

EVERY thread about low bulk reserves goes like this:

"Get an Optimum" - guy from USA

"Hey there are a couple great European low bulk reserves too." - guy from Europe

"Europe? Wasn't that something we bombed or saved or seceded from years ago? Irrelevant to US skydivers anyway." - guy from USA

But seriously, are there dealers for the European equipment in the USA? Without that, it's hard to break into the US market.

I know Chuting Star is a dealer for the Basik rigs (the Seven), but Basik reserves don't seem to be sold. (I just checked the store's web page.)

So the question should be : "Are there any low volume reserves from US factories besides Optimum"?

I will choose Speed over Optimum every day of the week. Lower price,longer on the market, build in Germany, packs smaller, flare better.....

That's my opinion .....But maybe because I'm from Europe:P

Note: Packing volume on the reserves may vary up to 5-10 % between 2 identical canopies. So it's possible that the Speed I compered to Optimum was just on the lower side of those 10 % ,and the Optimum was on the bigger side.

To OP...As Pchapman said, if you are from US, you should go for Optimum.

edited for spelling

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Pick the canopies you need for your size and experience, THEN go looking for a rig that they can fit in. A rig is not a good deal if you can't put the parachutes you need in it.

The rig does not "fit you perfectly" if it doesn't hold the reserve you should have.

A low volume reserve MAY be an answer but your still backwards in your thinking, IMHO.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

When Precision sent the r-Max 128 to be measured for the Parachute Industry Association's standard pack volume study, we were pleased at the report we got back which read in part:

"The r-Max 128 packed amazingly small for that class of canopy. I measured 296 cu in. We packed it into the same reserve bag we’ve been packing a PD-106R. They packed almost identical."

So optimum 143 will be close to speed 150 or 135???

From http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TSDocuments/TS-104CanopyVolume.pdf

OPTIMUM 126 - volume: 286 cubic inch - area: 128 square feet
OPTIMUM 143 - volume: 327 cubic inch - area: 146 square feet

SPEED 135 - volume: 284 cubic inch - area: 129 square feet
SPEED 150 - volume: 316 cubic inch – area: 145 square feet

==> Optimum 143 ~ Speed 150

So optimum 143 will be close to speed 150 or 135???

Speed 150. I'm not looking at the PIA chart, I'm talking from my personal experience.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen