mouth

Should I press charges?

I'm happy with my decision and had a good day...

Toldja so :)

. . . except for lunch which was gross. School lunches are horrible. Someone order me a pizza tomorrow and have it delivered around 12:15...PLEASE

You need to learn from one of the teachers on 7th Heaven. She kept stealing a students lunch to teach them a lesson. Maybe you should steal that girls lunch?
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

School lunches are horrible. Someone order me a pizza tomorrow and have it delivered around 12:15...PLEASE

Don't ask for that unless you really mean it. I've been known to randomly send pizza's.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Don't offer unless you are serious. Of course since they won't let us have our wallets in school you'd also have to pay by CC.:S Something about the last teacher loosing over $100 when her purse was stolen.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Ya'll are so funny. I can't help but love ya.

Yes, I've already started on my Pub brew...a bottle of wine compliments of LtDiver. YUM, and there is no occasion except that I wanted to open it.

--
Hot Mama

See? Your instincts were correct. I'm glad to see she realized she made a mistake. She'll be one smart cookie when she gets out of on campus suspension. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

PM me for the addy...no way am I drunk enough to post it here. :P Actually there is one resouceful skydiver who sent me flowers once at work w/o asking the address....he rocks. The thought still makes me smile.B|

--
Hot Mama

Ya'll are so funny.

I'm not kidding. Send out the addy and I'll be happy to send you a pizza tomorrow. Just imagine the stir it would cause if, oh, say, 100 pizzas were delived to your school.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Wow, What a day! I teach resource to 3rd and 4th graders in Houston at a Title one school, so I feel your pain. I had an 8year old tell me to F* off just a couple of days ago. My first reaction was to whack him. (Big time) Or to take him to the bathroom and give him a mouth full of soap. Since neither of those were an option I walked away from the situation for awhile. And just FYI, corpral punishment is allowed in Texas schools, but teachers are not allowed to administer it. (Well, at least our district and several surrounding districts where my friends teach) Is a behavior management plan in place? Do you have access to a school psychologist? What are the child's IEP goals? What about her school transcripts? What worked for teachers in the past? I have found it helps to discipline in a way that hits 'em where it hurts. I.E. For some, loss of recess is no big deal but make them eat in the classroom with you for lunch is a killer. My children also have point cards and for each infraction they loose points. They start with x number of points and they can loose or earn more for behavior choices. Our job isn't easy and MANY burn out. Few want the a.b. kids in the first place. As for whether or not to press charges, I don't see where that is your call (just confused) Didn't she slam the assistant with the door? I have had the DARE officer at our school in my room to try and scare the crap out of one of my kids. I couldn't reach him at all, everything I did his mother yelled at me that it was all because they were black. The officer took the kid on a tour of the jail. Maybe I managed to keep him out of there a few additional years. I don't know... As hard as it is, this girl needs your love, attention and role modeling probably WAY more than some of your other kids... Good luck with her this year..
Your character will ultimately determine your destiny.

You took the job working with troubled kids in the inner city. If you are going to press charges on a troubled kid, who lives in a shelter ,you need to look for a new job.

That will not help the kid at all. Try to put yourself in the kids shoes for a day. You have a family that loves you, a nice home, good friends, good food, nice cloths etc. This kid has nothing.

GRRRRRRRRR...today has sucked. Some days I simply HATE my job. As most of you know I teach in an inner city middle school (6-8). I also teach the remedial classes so I get lots of kids with lots of different problems. They are generally anti-social and don't get along well with others.

In my second class I have a new girl who has moved here and lives in a local group home. She has obviously been in trouble before or she wouldn't be here. The home will not tell me why she is there. They are not very supportive either. Today was only her second day in my class. When I tried to get her to pay attention and attempt to do the classwork she refused and was writing a note. I took the note and redirected her, but she again started writing a note and told me she didn't have to do what I said. I took the second note and she started a third.

At that point I figured we were at an impass so I told her to step outside the room. She grabbed her pencil and I asked her to leave it because the kids write on the walls and I just had mine cleaned. Well after three requests she turned around and flung it at me. It hit about 8 inches away from me. She then proceeded out the door slamming it with all her might...and bumped into the assistant principal.

Now I have to decide if I press charges or not. So what would you do?

And yes, I'm so ready for a beer. I now have my classroom door locked because she is absolutely CRAZY and having fits int he office.

Basically I just wanted to see if you guys agree with me about not pressing charges. ***

No i dont agree.

This is what you posted. I gave my opinion to your question. Where does it say read all the post after my question then give me your answer.

Yes, I've already started on my Pub brew...a bottle of wine compliments of LtDiver. YUM, and there is no occasion except that I wanted to open it.

Glad you like it! :)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Just thought I'd let you all know the girl came by my room VOLUNTARILY and apologized to me without me saying anything to her. She admitted she was wrong in front of her class with no prompting from me or anyone else.

Splendid!

(Sorry I'm too far to send Pizza..:)
t
It's the year of the Pig.

Obviously you and Ripped can't read. Read the damn thread and you'll see EXACTLY what I did and why I did it.

:)when we are happy in our own lives,,, it's hard to imagine the pain that others feel ,,, when they are UN happy.... It's a shame,,, but there are far far too many children who lack..... not necessarily from within,,, but from without...... They lack loving parents,,, they lack Nice housing conditions, in some cases they lack for nutrition.... When all these un met needs, are coupled at a young age,,,with the demands of school...... many children struggle.
They are unable to "learn how to learn"... they can have a tough time communicating,,, a tough time handling their emotions, and even a tough time relating to others.....
I have a number of family members who are teachers,,,and often they have mentioned that an outburst in class,, has often just been "triggered" by some trivial thing...... and that the "apparent" cause
of the misbehavior,,,,,, is simply the last item in a longer string of things which may have been brewing for a long time....
I note that when children are living in a "structured, disciplinary" setting,,,, the only place they have to
vent , or unload, or misbehave can be the school building.....You nust have great character in this day and age to work with such tough situations.....
But I think that you are looking past the surface, and appreciate the value of time as an ally, in helping this child.....
Junior High level is very tough... You have some students who can be quite adult, in their size and strength, and also some who are still like 5th graders....and so the disparity can be troublesome.
My wife is a special ed teacher and when she worked with 7th 8th and 9th graders,, some of them were
discipline problems, who liked to "throw their weight around"....We discuss such things, and agreed that the best approach might be to recognize the onset of such behavior, and then stand clear of it, and insure that other students, are also clear of it.. and then refer the student to the particular
staff person(s) ,,,,, charged with maintaining order.....:|.... but never intervene in a fight, never
try to "take on" or restrain an unruly child, never engage in a shouting match with a student...It is not worth the possibility of injury to yourself....and can only exacerbate the situation......
hang in there mouth,,,,, it's almost saturday!!!;)

I thought I'd update this:

I came in today after having jury duty yesterday to find a withdrawal slip for this girl on my desk. It seems she ran away over the weekend, was arrested and is now in a state juvenile facility.

Unfortunately nothing I did or the counselors did helped. I'm really sad that things worked out this way for her. I understand she'll be incarcerated for a very long time because of her crime. Sadder thing is I really thought I could make a difference with her.

--
Hot Mama

Sadder thing is I really thought I could make a difference with her.

Please don't lose hope. The world is covered in students who've been touched by teachers who give a damn. Most teachers don't even know who the ones they've touched are. Never give up.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

you did your best lisa. my aunt has been a teacher for 35 years and has had students come back to her over the years that have been touched by her and she didn't even know it at the time.

you did GREAT:)

Someone order me a pizza
tomorrow and have it delivered around
12:15...PLEASE

Well, someone suprised me today and did just that. I got called to the office from the lunchroom and had 2 wonderful pizza's sitting there for lunch. That was the sweetest...THANK YOU.B|

--
Hot Mama

GRRRRRRRRR...today has sucked. Some days I simply HATE my job. As most of you know I teach in an inner city middle school (6-8). I also teach the remedial classes so I get lots of kids with lots of different problems. They are generally anti-social and don't get along well with others.

In my second class I have a new girl who has moved here and lives in a local group home. She has obviously been in trouble before or she wouldn't be here. The home will not tell me why she is there. They are not very supportive either. Today was only her second day in my class. When I tried to get her to pay attention and attempt to do the classwork she refused and was writing a note. I took the note and redirected her, but she again started writing a note and told me she didn't have to do what I said. I took the second note and she started a third.

At that point I figured we were at an impass so I told her to step outside the room. She grabbed her pencil and I asked her to leave it because the kids write on the walls and I just had mine cleaned. Well after three requests she turned around and flung it at me. It hit about 8 inches away from me. She then proceeded out the door slamming it with all her might...and bumped into the assistant principal.

Now I have to decide if I press charges or not. So what would you do?

And yes, I'm so ready for a beer.>:( I now have my classroom door locked because she is absolutely CRAZY and having fits int he office.

Mouth: as a fellow teacher, I would say ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY. Those kids need to be taught that it's not right. If you don't, what message does that send ? If I do it, they will slap my wrist ?

I am quitting teaching and going into a marketing director position. I hate babysitting (err.. teaching) with all my heart. Friday is my last day. I can't wait. One year and a little over two months was more than enough for me. What a waste of college and money.
http://www.brandonandlaura.com