lawrocket

Solar Flare and Auroras

I've read that we're getting hit by a Coronal Mass Ejection now. One of the things they said is possible is for Auroras to be visible as far south as Texas or Florida.

I've never seen an Aurora, and I sure would love that opportunity.

How far south can they get? And where in the sky do I look for them?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Aurora Borealis - AKA northern lights - I don't know that this is always true, but I would start there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Ive seen them from as far south as Flagstaff. We might have a chance of seeing them down here. I might try to get out of the city lights, go to Anthem or Cave Creek areas. anywhere north of town should be good.
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

...We might have a chance of seeing them down here. I might try to get out of the city lights, go to Anthem or Cave Creek areas. anywhere north of town should be good.

It would be cool if we get to see an aurora...dark skies are ideal.:)
Good luck...we'll be out this evening trying to catch a glimpse of it. Let me know if you see anything.

g

Man you should have seen the Northern Lights last night in Seattle.. the clouds were spotty but they were reflecting the blue lights and some were even glowing red.. I drove up to Stevens Pass.. at 4000'+ where it was snowing but before the clouds rolled in there were several places that you could plainly see the lights dancing across the sky.

WOW

Here is a report from a local station for some pictures

http://www.komo4.com/stories/27998.htm

So for those of you wanting to cross off something for your list of life experiences.. tonight is possibly the night for seeing that phenomenon again..

Oh Betsy.....find a hill look to the north..even down there it might be possible..http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=655237#655237

at work last night we were waiting on a fuel truck and someone was like what's that since we are in an exersise righ tnow and we thought it was red smoke to begin with then relized it was the northern lights.... the sky was glowing red in splotches.. it was so cool!!!!!!!! and this is in northern utah....

OK, here is a very very very dull - Dim Aurora..
First understand I am 40 miles from NYC, so obviously there is a boatload of light pollution.

Anyway, you can see the green streak across the middle of the image. In the bottom right corner is a Plane flying into JFK.

In Image Aurora18.. I was lucky enough to catch a meteor flying in from the left side dead center. Same plane on the bottom right. You have to look damn close for the meteor.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty