DeNReN

How safe is your car?

I,m sure most ppl's rigs are in much better shape than there cars....most skydivers have a hugh intrest in the gear they jump....however the vast majority know squat about the 3500lb weapon they drive each day.

Here's another Q......How many times have you had your main relined vs your brake fluid changed?

my car has been a magazine cover/feature car and poster, and my rig is brand spanking new :)

i'd say both were doing alright...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Here's another Q......How many times have you had your main relined vs your brake fluid changed?

***never in my life have I heard of brake fluid needing to be changed. It is hydraulic fluid and does not wear out. Unless there is a leak in your system or a foreign material has been introduced, you should never have to add or replace brake fluid.

Edited to add: I think I'll stop at Jiffy Lube tomorrow and ask them how much to change my break fluid and add some blinker fluid.Maybe change the air in my tires from summer air to winter air.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Oh my, Randy, I hope you're kidding about not ever changing the brake fluid - or I hope you live in a very flat state.

Most of the post was well-kidded but seriously, brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it sucks up water out of the ambient air - even when it's in the (vented) master cylinder. Even a small amount of water, which boils at 212fht. will render your brakes useless after several panic stops (or hills). The water discombobulates (I'll take $5 words for $1000 Alex :P) and you get the hydrogen and oxygen broken apart into gasses and gasses are compressable. Of course, this happens right in the brake calipers where most of the heat generated from braking resides. Poor brakes = crash potential, kinda like a snapped steering line. That said, I just never use my brakes :P:P:P. Slowing down for corners is for wimps. Stop signs and traffic lights are just suggestions, right:ph34r::ph34r:

Seriously though, a good "ballpark test" for contaminated fluid is to crack open the reservoir cap and look at the colour of the fliud. It should be clear, much like "lite beer". The darker it is, the more impurities it has sucked out of the atmosphere and the more compromised your braking performance will be when you need it most. [Mr. Garrison]Black fluid is bad, n'kay [/Mr Garrison]. It's likely a reasonable bet that changing the fluid when you replace your front brake pads is sufficiently often for Joe Average Driver. Under severe racing conditions I had to bleed the system after each day of racing (about 100 really, really hard miles). Of course, tires lasted about 500 mileas as well. Wonder why I got into skydiving?

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

mmmmkay:S. Maybe it's just because i've always lived in florida, but no, I've never heard of anyone changing brakefluid unless it's contaminated by an outside source. My brake fluid has never just turned black.Your brakes are a sealed system, and should remain that way. Thats why you bleed your brakes after you open the system.If you're getting water into your master cylinder, you need a new cap.If it's air you are having a problem with, you have a leaky system and it needs to be fixed.I have never had a problem with a disk brake system, as long as it's been properly bled.Maybe it's a Northern thing.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

This pool is totaly out of sense in a country like Portugal, no car is better than a 20yearold student rig, and theres no way skydiving could be more danger than driving. Dont believe? i just say that die more ppl driving every day in this 10Million ppl country than in skydiving all year. Car acidents are first cause of death in pt.
Need more?
We have, more than 1000 speed tickects per day, and more than 300 for alchool.
Our medium speed in highways is 145kms/h and our alchool record is 5gr per litre of blood, i repeat this once again...
alchool limit: 0,5gr/l
record: 5gr/l (any doctor could explain you, 3 is death for normal ppl)

A new fashion is in our streets: riding wrong way on highways, i dont remember anyone falling in wrong direction in skydiving :/

So... if you skydive cause you like to taste the risk... forget skydiving and come driving in Portugal.
Ber
---------------------------------
"Who Needs Oxygen Anyway?"

No contest here...no matter how many people dislike the saying, equipment-wise, I am actually much safer in the air than driving to the dropzone.:P

I'm a hellofa good mechanic, so I fix everything that goes wrong pretty quickly, as well as cheaply.

My cars are safe, but for perspective, if a light comes on, or a guage reads wierd, I'll fix it when the weekend comes. If I noitcie a problem on my rig, I will NOT use it until I either fix it, or have it fixed.

So, even though my cars are quite safe, the rig is still safer.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

How many times have you had your main relined vs your brake fluid changed?

you can change brake fluid?????? Maybe that's what I need! hehe:P
My car is dying a slow and painful death. I hope to soon put it out of its misery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

I baby Both my rig and my car...... The both get a lot of attention from me.

- i would like to let everybody know that i do drive a manly station wagon. At first I thought that a Station Wagon would get me chics, but apparantly there is a flaw in my theory somewhere.......
=========Shaun ==========

I Have lived in Wa. so you have to have a truck b/c the people there are just confused when it comes to driving.

Not too mention I-5 has grooves in it. :S

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I also have it.. because I like to go play in the mountains.. and 4x4 with chains on all 4 RAWKS... I also tow my boat from place to place depending on my desire to kill varying forms of sea life and since the truck gets 21 MPG and the boat gets 1.5 MPG.. I would rather tow it:P

But the basic premise remains.. its a safe rig.. diesels are heavy.. and dont crunch as easily.. yes I DO HAVE issues about that.. a guy in a F-250 tried to squash me like a bug.. I was stopped he was asleep at the wheel doing 65MPH.. good thing I was in my Mercedes at the time and not a recycled tin can.

"never in my life have I heard of brake fluid needing to be changed. It is hydraulic fluid and does not wear out. Unless there is a leak in your system or a foreign material has been introduced, you should never have to add or replace brake fluid. " :)
Hmmm...where to start...well 1st dterrick did a great job explaining the hydroscopic nature of brake fluid....2nd just because you have never heard of something...does that mean it cant be true?...I take it by your statement quoted above that you have never had any formal training in automotive repair...yet you take quite a agressive stance on the replacement of brake fluid...hmmm....sorta like me telling ppl how to do low hook turns:S...3rd You are right about never having to add brake fluid...brake fluid only goes down for 2 reasons..a leak or worn linings(pads or shoes)..both require repair instead of "topping" up the brake fluid to turn the light off!....4th...brake fluid is brake fluid NOT hydraulic fluid...just try putting hydraulic fluid in your brake system and see what happens!(see story below)

Sometimes it amases me that when you talk about something...POOF...it happens.

I show up at work this morning....My 1st job is a brake check...customer complaint..."I just had my brakes done by X garage..but after driving for awhile my brake pedal gets soft and it is hard to stop the car".....so...i road test...great brakes untill I give em shit and heat them up...then the pedal goes to mush....little old lady driving a 01 civic...one foot on the gas and usually 2 feet on the brakes.....I flush(change the fluid) the brakes(also adjusted up the rear...way out) and reroad test.....problem solved...happy customer...coming back to me for all her work in the future.

12th job of the day....brake check...customer complaint..."grinding noise and no brake pedal"..notes say customer has been topping up brake fluid.......I attemp to road test...parking lot only....grinding from front and rear...ABS is going nuts....different wheels take turns locking up.....:|hmmm...this should be interesting....1st thing i do is look at the "brake fluid"...hmmm this isnt brake fluid...looks and feels more like oil:|....long story short...turns out the customer was topping up his brake fluid with hydraulic fluid(oil)...both rear wheel cylinders were leaking and it was cheaper for him then brake fluid:S...NO it wasnt....dude has a major bill on his hands to get his 99 breeze roadworthy again....I just fix em...others do the estimates...last i heard he was up to around $3500...those ABS units are quite pricy.....

Sorry for the rant...Just pisses me off when ppl with no clue give advice on something they have no knowlage of.

BTW...I've a class A Interprovincial Automotive Repair Lic, ASE Master Tech.,ASE Advanced Engine Performance. and 15 or so years in the trade...I also learn something everyday....still want that blinker fluid changed Towerrat?