WrongWay

I swear I'm not psycho.....

However, it seems to me that the death penalty is sort of an institutionalized rage. I think that the rage a person feels in the immediate aftermath of witnessing the rape and murder of their daughter is normal and justifiable. I do not think that building that rage into a system of rationalized state-sanctioned murder is.

Amen brother. I am very much against the death penalty. But one aspect I struggle with is when the person in question is still a threat to society even while being incarcerated. Osama Bin Laden or a Mob Boss come to mind. One could argue that putting these people to death is still self-defense.

Chris

Interesting topic -

Legal homicide - Yes, whole heardedly agree in some circumstances.
I am a strong believer in "the punishment should fit the crime"

The justification of a murder is subjective at the very least. There are those that deserve far worse than death. I am a believer in disposing those that are a true danger to society. What good will ever come of Charles Manson. The only possible answer I can come up with is research. Fine - disect him and run tests on him. No problem here with that.

If someone would personally take the life of an innocent by strangulation, or any other hand to hand method for a reason that is nothing but evil should be removed from this earth and properly disposed of. Evil should be described as well - Examples: Child death after molestation, Child Molestation, Rape, kidnapping ending in death, murder not related to accidental. Of course any combination of these, but theses are cut and dry - no grey area, broad spectrum. Insanity is sometimes, but rarely an excuse. Retardation should be an exception. A true psyc. eval should be done, a very extensive one, by multiple psychologists. No answer is perfect - common sense should be used - blah blah blah - boiled down it should be determined that you are no use to society, and just a burden to the system.

Ask yourself this, if the trash was p[iling up in your kitche, would you not throw it out?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It makes me think that it would probably be a good idea not to do something that is covered under the "death penalty" guidelines. You have to believe that if there is a crime punishable by death, that unless you WANT to die you would probably not do that crime. Simple logic, no?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

however, most murderers either don't believe they're ever going to get caught (serial killers) or don't take the time to think it through (mass murderers, crimes of passion).

if they either

1. don't think about the consequences when committing the crime.

or

2. don't think they're going to get caught

no amount of punishment is going to deter, because the perp either believes the punishment to be irrellevant, or the thought of punishment isn't crossing his mind.

I was watching an episode of The Practice and this topic was on the show: how does anyone feel about a woman who sees the man who brutally raped and killed her 4 year old daughter and then shoots him before they actually arrest him?

Yes we all know it is wrong to kill and the woman ended up being acquitted on First Degree Murder but convicted of Second Degree murder. She was sentenced to life and when the jury read the verdict you could see the shock and anguish in her eyes. I believe her attorneys will Appeal it but what does anyone feel about a case like that?

I'd do the same thing. But I wouldn't be surprised when I got prison time. Even a manslaughter charge means years in prison. But I doubt any of the cosequences would go through my mind when I saw him. I would make no apologies to the court.

3rd party learning has a benefit, though - some people who might otherwise commit a capital crime will not because they have observed others being punished.

We do not have to learn every lesson ourselves - we can see someone else be punished for an action and be deterred from that action by that, as well.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

in the states of Texas, Tennessee and Washington (not sure about others), death certificates of executed persons commonly list the cause of death as "Homicide"

refer to..

Since I do live in the great state of Texas and am a firm believer in capital punishment, I believe that state mandated homicide is also justified (yes, the death certificate of capital punishment inmates does state homicide as cause of death).

Beat ya to it.:P;)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."