homer

Another skydivers & insurance post

Its been a while since I've been in the forums and posted so this post may have already been done a million times.

My question is I'm a skydiver without any medical insurance like many others. If I were to get hurt while jumping who will cover my medical bills or at least part of the cost? Since I'm a UPSA member am I covered by them or do they just cover property damages? What about my DZ and there insurance.

I've turn to the dark side and started doing CReW and I know the risk for injury has now gone way up. I know most insurance companies wont cover skydivers but, are there any that do? I know this has been discussed several times before I just don't feel like doing a search.

Scott

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Since I'm a UPSA member am I covered by them or do they just cover property damages? What about my DZ and there insurance.

The USPA's insurance is 3rd party insurance, thus if you hit a plane, they'll repair the plane, not you.

The DZ's insurance? There is NO insurance, why do you think you fill out a waiver, its for that purpose.

Basically, you'd be SOL without insurance, except for the government helping, people donating, hospital donating, etc.

IMHO, if you're jumping, you should have insurance to cover yourself. Its not fair for someone to get hurt then need folks to cover their ass finacially due to a lack of insurance.

If you want, PM me and I'll give you my Dad's phone number, he sells insurance and could most likely answer your questions.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Scott,
Aren't you in the military? Don't they cover your health insurance? If no to those answers, shame on you, I'm going to have to spank you. What the hell are you doing jumping without insurance? If you get injured, it's going to be your responsibility to pay your medical bills. And that's not going to be cheap.

Jumpers that depend on other people's generosity really piss me off. Take responsibility for your own action. Scott, that last statement wasn't directed to you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You should be able to get Major Medical insurance for a reasonable cost. It would have a large deductible, Maybe $2500. Go for the Medical Savings Accounts. Then you can put say $100 a month in a MSA that works sort of like an IRA. But you can write checks for your medical expenses out of that account.
The question I would like answered is: As an reservest don,t they offer some kind of good health insurance? I mean if your break your leg it seems they would want your fixed up, asap. More thing that make me go HUmmm.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

Go for the Medical Savings Accounts. Then you can put say $100 a month in a MSA that works sort of like an IRA. But you can write checks for your medical expenses out of that account.

Good idea, however be sure to use up any money left in the account by the end of the year.
My other ride is the relative wind.

Good idea, however be sure to use up any money left in the account by the end of the year. -----

You are thinking of a cafeateria plan. The MSA is new, a year or two old. You keep all the money in your savings asccount, that you do not spend. Like an IRA. :)

Thanks all for the info but after today I don't think I need to worry about it now. I received my activation alert this morning. My reserve unit activates Dec. 7 and we report to FT. Lewis, WA on Dec. 10. What a bitch! You have any idea what being activated is going to do to my years jump numbers.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Will you be training at Ft Lewis or just staging there?If you can make it to Kapowsin. That is where the US crew team trains. Also I believe there is a military sport club at Ft Lewis. When i was at Bragg they had very cheep jumps for sport skydivers. But I assume you will be spending some serious time away from a local Dz. Good luck, Airborne.
Let me know if you head to Kapowsin, we will try to go up.