RkyMtnHigh

Profound Thought...

i have jumped when i'm feeling 90% and the ride to altitude and then the jump will wake your body up 100%. nother like a good adreniline rush to wake ya up.

i just fly straight in though, i'd be fine to do otherwise, just prefer to fly straight in so i dnot' have to run it out lol
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Just thinking outloud here...but I've seen many jumpers jumping with hangovers, perhaps still drunk from the night before. Is this like drunk driving, as far as your visual and mental accuity?

Some years ago the US Navy ran a research program on the effects of alcohol on Naval Aviators. They found slowed reflexes and impaired judgement lasting as much as 24 hours after the last drink.

Draw your own conclusion.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I won't jump if I am severely hung over. But I have been known to jump when I'm not 100%.

Please take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt as I know some/many people will not agree with this philosophy. To me, the key to skydiving is relaxing and I've had some good skydives when I'm still tired from the night before because I'm tired and thus relaxed. But one really needs to keep their head upon themselves while under canopy. So it's a fine line to be on while jumping after the night before.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Some years ago the US Navy ran a research program on the effects of alcohol on Naval Aviators. They found slowed reflexes and impaired judgement lasting as much as 24 hours after the last drink.

Well doesn't THAT just cast a pall over the Beerlight, perhaps the third most important element of our ,um, culture. Without firsthand knowledge, perhaps this is why some of our current champions are champions (ie: they "don't" party). Or, maybe some of us could be champions ... ;)

Either way, on those mornings when I'm a bit sleep deprived and slightly dehydrated, the choice between the $1.50 coffee and the $15 hop n pop can be difficult. If I have to think TOO hard about it, I don't jump because obviouslt my brain is not working. When I do jump, though, it's waaaaay more effective than caffiene.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Thanks, John. I'm still not sure what brought those evil, evil creatures back to the forefront of my (somewhat warped) mind. Just a good memory of "B" TV, I guess.

As for the niceness, THIS is a nice Dalek.

Oh, and on topic for a minute, BillVon is right. When it really matters, having an ultra-clear mind is a good thing. Blowing 300 jump tix due to a brain fart would be a bit embarassing to say the least.

I'd go farther and say that my skydiving is ALSO noticibly affected by the quality of my warmup routine before EACH jump. The morning stretches are the most important, but even if I'm on a pack and plummet rotation I find that I stiffen up between loads. Range of motion and good cardio condition are things we're told about early on and at junior skills camps ... as we become more proficient maybe we THINK it isn't affecting us to not stretch. Then again, without a clear and measurable target for any given jump it's pretty hard to measure the relative success. - though those' no pressure fun flights' can be the best ones sometimes.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)