DanF

Why Velcro?

Wat talking about the excess line. The new systems that keep the toggle in place work fine, though I prefer velcro there too.

I've had Velcro'ed toggles all along and little problem with line snag. You just put the toggles back on the male velcro after landing and its all good. I have more problem with velcro on the freebag wanting to grab the uncoated reserve lines than any issue with my main lines.

Just saying that some knowledge of the gear, care with the handling and common sense goes a long way. (A friend still jumps his original Sweethog, and it looks in better shape than rigs I see at the DZ with 1/2 the jumps and 1/10 the time in service.

Unfortunately we've got less and less of all the above.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

The hook side of velcro will inevitably find its way to chewing up spectra lines.

I disagree that it is an inevitability. If you use careless packers, well, maybe. But if you have enough loop to cover the hook part and you stow the excess line well why should it?

I have used this method for a long time, and there are other configurations that are equally effective.
http://www.pcprg.com/slstow.htm

The hook side of velcro will inevitably find its way to chewing up spectra lines.

I disagree that it is an inevitability. If you use careless packers, well, maybe. But if you have enough loop to cover the hook part and you stow the excess line well why should it?

This is the part that amazes me every time i visit the states, SO many people dont pack their own kit. and rely on others, who have no vested interest in their gear, to look after it.

I have velcro on my rig in the same place (Micron) NEVER has it been an issue for my lines and i have over 700 jumps on this container (more than 680 of those jumps will have been packed by me)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Have you not met any of the multitude of jumpers with more than 100 jumps who don't know anything about their gear beyond where the hackey is and what colors it is so they know which one is theirs?

Funny you should mention that...

I went to a boogie a couple years ago with a few friends. Everyone's gear was piled together in the back of the van. One of the guys was going to borrow another guy's rig. He had borrowed it before, so he was familiar with the rig.

He grabs the wrong rig from the pile. Thinks "strange, I don't remember it being this colour". Tries to turn on the AAD, but there isn't one; thinks "strange, I know he has an AAD in his rig". Puts the rig on and boards the plane.

Just before jump run, another jumper on the plane points out an incorrectly assembled three ring. A gear check would have caught it.

He rides the plane down, and blames the owner for incorrectly assembling the three rings (the main had been reconnected the night before after a reserve repack; it had not been jumped like that).

He did eventually admit that the plane ride down was for the better - after he found out what size canopy was in the rig!

damn, the stupid is strong with this one
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Have you not met any of the multitude of jumpers with more than 100 jumps who don't know anything about their gear beyond where the hackey is and what colors it is so they know which one is theirs?

Funny you should mention that...

I went to a boogie a couple years ago with a few friends. Everyone's gear was piled together in the back of the van. One of the guys was going to borrow another guy's rig. He had borrowed it before, so he was familiar with the rig.

He grabs the wrong rig from the pile. Thinks "strange, I don't remember it being this colour". Tries to turn on the AAD, but there isn't one; thinks "strange, I know he has an AAD in his rig". Puts the rig on and boards the plane.

Just before jump run, another jumper on the plane points out an incorrectly assembled three ring. A gear check would have caught it.

He rides the plane down, and blames the owner for incorrectly assembling the three rings (the main had been reconnected the night before after a reserve repack; it had not been jumped like that).

He did eventually admit that the plane ride down was for the better - after he found out what size canopy was in the rig!

damn, the stupid is strong with this one

The term DGIT comes to mind.

What ever happened to common sense ? If you don't leave slack for the pin to clear the closing loop, you will get a pilot chute it tow. It may be the most important part of the pack job. We should know how to create slack on any rig we come across, without arrows pointing the way.

It ain't so common anymore.

...like the guy numbering his flaps with a Sharpie a couple weekends ago!? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...like the guy numbering his flaps with a Sharpie a couple weekends ago!? :ph34r:

Hey, it works on reserves, why not the mains?:S

:P:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hey, it works on reserves, why not the mains?:S

:P:D
I am guilty of labeling packing tabs on BASE canopies ( B 1-7, C 1-7, D 1-7 ). It's just easier to realize which one you're grabbing. 1,2,3, right side...5,6,7, left side.....the 4's are down the middle. ( During a Pro Pack )
Life is short ... jump often.