Ian84

Goin round the world.......need input.

Hey all, here's the deal, I finished school and took a year out before i start university next october. I just got a job in the Cayman Islands and plan to work here for 6 months and save up enough to go backpacking around the world with a friend. Anybody out there done this???? Got any good/bad advice???? I'd really like to here it, at the moment my plan is leave Ireland and head west, and keep going till i end up back whare i started. Thanks in advance.

you can get STA 'round the world tickets' - which actually mean you can fly to 6 destinations and end up back where you started.
I made do with the whole interrail thing - if your round the world trip caves - totally go interrailing around eastern europe, otherwise skip it as you shouldn't waste your time in europe(which you can do some other time) when you could be in South Africa, or Indonesia or Japan or New Zealand - so many places :)I'm jealous - whatever you decide, wander into UsitNOW on AstonQuay(go over O'Connel bridge heading South and its on your right, by Virgin Megastores) - they have student discounts on guide books, all round travel insurance and cheaper student flights
have fun - good luck

don't forget to get your jabs - some of them need to be done a month or two in advance

I have traveled all over the rock...
But not backpackin'
My idea of 'roughing it' is bad room service! ;)

There are several good books on the subject...
one of which is "The Worlds Most Dangerous Places"

Have fun... B|

Stay low and don't bunch-up! :o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Stay out of all those nasty little West African countries. I wouldn't recommend anywhere too far off the beaten track in Colombia, Panama or Venezuela either. Russia is known for ripping off tourists. Southern Philippines is pretty but probably dangerous about now. :D OK...enough doom and gloom.....Besides...once you spend 6 mos in the Caymans you probably won't want to leave anyway. B|

AirTreks used to have some great round the world airfares.

If you're looking to hit Japan, check out the JET program thru the Japanese government. You can stay there for a year on that and earn cash/see the hell out of the country.

Tanzania, Thailand, and Namibia are three of my favorite countries. Brazil and Australia are not far behind.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

got to the lonely planet website or the rough guide site and do some research there.

I only ever backpack and those to site are a great place to start.
Also you'll need a Youth Hostels card for cheap stuff;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Definately second this opinion. Only advice I have beyond that is buy and take a spare set of the various buckles for your backpack. Broke my waist buckle my second trip all over Europe my second day there. It had a short battle with a train door and lost. The stores I ran into there had the buckles, but nothing I could use without a sewing machine to attach the buckle.

LOL! Australia and Tasmania listed separately! ;)Beautiful!! That's what I like to see. But much as we'd like to think otherwise Tasmania is actually part of Australia....

Great for a laugh, thanks Snowwhite - really needed that today :D

Edit:grammar is atrocious!