riddler

Dropzone economics

So here I am in Kansas, visiting my grandfather, who's 80 and doesn't get out much by himself anymore.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, I did a search for dropzones in Kansas, and I found four - one a university club. But ALL of them were around the Wichita/Kansas City area, on the eastern border. Of course, I'm not familiar with the economics of running a DZ, or of Kansas, but it seems that rather than having four DZs that all fight over the same market, you could have one or two that spread out to the outlying areas. You would probably get just as many jumpers as 1/4th of the market of a bigger city, and there would be less direct competition. Geographically, it would be better for the jumpers, since I'm sure a few live in those areas and have to drive several hours to the nearest DZ.

On the other hand, considering the median age of the smaller city I'm in seems to be about 60, there might not be that many people that come out for tandems :P But what do I know? I'm sure I'm just thinking like a jumper, rather than a DZO.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Most of the population is on the eastern side of the state, I found a census map showing it but I haven't figured out how to make it clicky.

I hope this works.
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ThematicMapFramesetServlet?geo_id=04000US20&ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&tm_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U_M00090&_dBy=050&_MapEvent=displayBy&_lang=en&_sse=on

Big Ed

There is a faq on making clickys.

its:

[u_r_l "the actual url"]text to show[/u_r_l]

but without the _
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Personality clashes are probably the other reason four DZs serve the same city.
I am not familiar with Kansas skydiving politics, but let me give you an example from British Columbia skydiving politics.
Abbottsford is by far the oldest DZ serving Vancouver, however, the DZO: Jerry Harper has p** off so many senior jumpers that they wandered off to form two other DZs in Chilliwack and Pitt Meadows.
Having met senior jumpers from Chilliwack and worked at Pitt Meadows for five years, I have concluded that Jerry Harper is not the only one to blame. The other DZOs are - to put it politely - "head strong."

Ya know, I've wondered the same thing. There is, of course, a TON of open land out in the SW area and I'd think it could be profitable. There's certainly nothing else to do around there! The DZ in Cushing, OK does very well and you should see the size of that town. The only thing is there are only little community colleges out that way rather then a 4-year like there are near Cushing. And the wind. But that's all over KS. Maybe it's the stink keeping em away ;)

Pammi

Maybe it's the stink keeping em away

If stink was all that kept jumpers away, half the DZs in the country would have to shut down. Next to my home DZ, they have a place that sells cattle. I swear sometimes when I'm flying over it that the stench alone gives me a pretty good updraft under canopy.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

So here I am in Kansas, visiting my grandfather, who's 80 and doesn't get out much by himself anymore.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, I did a search for dropzones in Kansas, and I found four - one a university club. But ALL of them were around the Wichita/Kansas City area, on the eastern border. Of course, I'm not familiar with the economics of running a DZ, or of Kansas, but it seems that rather than having four DZs that all fight over the same market, you could have one or two that spread out to the outlying areas. You would probably get just as many jumpers as 1/4th of the market of a bigger city, and there would be less direct competition. Geographically, it would be better for the jumpers, since I'm sure a few live in those areas and have to drive several hours to the nearest DZ.

On the other hand, considering the median age of the smaller city I'm in seems to be about 60, there might not be that many people that come out for tandems :P But what do I know? I'm sure I'm just thinking like a jumper, rather than a DZO.

In a capitalist society, generally someone will take an opportunity to make a profit. Since no-one has, it could be that you are wrong.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think the economic factor is due to the geography and mindset of the regular jumpers. I did my first 400 or so jumps at a small 182 dz. The people there were truly like family to me. When it closed, some people moved out of state and most just quit jumping. Although the conditions may look good for consolidating some smaller dzs into one big one, the reality is that more small dzs may be able to just barely keep their heads above water while one larger dz would most likely not. I think that most people that would be willing to put up with a long drive to go to a larger dz probably already are.