SniperCJ

MP3 players - Who's got what?

Im looking at getting am MP3 player.

Ive looked at the iRiver, the iPod, and the Rio Nitrus, but I dont know a whole lot about them.

I did a search and we've not talked about this in 6 months or so. I figure some other people probably got new ones and will have some updated info for me.

Gonna use it for general purpose listening as well as running and maybe a song database for video stuff at the DZ.

Thanks
JC

I just got the ipod last week and its the coolest thing sinced sliced bread. its really easy to use and it holds a crap load of music 5000 songs for 20GB one. the only downfall is that the battery only lasts 8 or so hours. but thats wasy to work around. i would deffinatley reccomend the ipod

I just bought an Evolution Bullet 256MB MP3 player.

Bullet

This thing is tiny. The reason I got it though was because the USB connector is part of it. All I have to do is plug it into one of the USB ports on the front of my PC, then drag and drop files right to it. The computer thinks it is just another data drive. No extra software needed.

It also has an FM tuner and can do several other things, I haven't really played with it much though.

Off your list I would get the iRiver or the Rio. The iPod I've heard from several people doesn't hold up well to snowboarding falls and the bouncing caused by things like jogging.
Fly it like you stole it!

I have a Nomad Jukebox 20Gb. I like it because it holds lots of MP3's, but it's not really portable. It's too heavy. Also, a hard drive based player is too fragile IMHO, and very prone to failure if dropped (we all know shit happens [:/]). My NJB used to skip if I used it for jogging or just walking rapidly with it.

I still have my NJB, but I just bought a Creative MuVo NX 256Mb direct from Creative. It should arrive this week.

;)

Yves.

Not only does my iPod hold tons of music for listening at home/work/play it also holds my calendar. Updateable from my computer with iSync. Very nice!

(soon to hold my picture files as well! B|)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Archos Jukebox Studio 20.

I like it because:
Cheap HD mp3 player.
Do it yourself HD upgrade possible.
Exchangeable batteries (AA)
Excelent freeware firmware available.
Works as external Harddrive
I don't have to throw it in the trashcan as soon as the rechargeble Batteries have exedet their lifetime.
Sturdy, i think i could drop it.

Downsides
Heavy
Ugly.
Only USB1.1

Tip: Get the Archos Recorder, bigger display, USB2.0.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

I was looking for an mp3 player a while back, but decided against it. Instead I got a minidisc player - the Sony MZ-N710. It's light, can play for up to 85hrs from a 2hour charge, and because it's MD and not memorystick or other expensive solid state memory, it's cheap to record lots of music.

Nearly got one of those mini-hdd based players though.. however, I'm pretty rough, and they're rather heavy (a friend has one), so decided it probably wasnt a good idea :)

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

Had the iPod for about a year, and its crack. It is one of the most expensive mp3 players out there, but I've never heard anyone say it isn't worth the money.
It a hard drive player, but a lot of people have had success using the 10 GB model when they jog.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

I got a minidisk player 6 months before i got the iod and i gotta say a mini disk player is worth every penny. 5 hours of music on a 2$ disc and i got at least 40 hours of play time of the battery. but its so much more convinent to have everything in one small package

The iPod is by far the best mp3 player out there. From the killer design to the absolute ease of use, it simply blows everything else away.

And now you folks who insist on using PCs can actually purchase iTunes for Windows to get the whole iPod experience. ;)

There may be mp3s that hold more stuff, or that cost less, but the iPod rules them all!

What I have is an older MP3 player, I've had it for quite a while. The Intel 3000.

Decide if you want solid state or not, and that really depends on what you're doing with it. If its one with a HD in it, you might not want to take it jogging, etc, due to the extreme vibrations.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The one I have (C3310-128) is small, simple, cheap and very good.

Check it out here

Does that product have a removeable CF card?

There's a vendor in Vancouver BC selling a product that looks a lot like that on eBay sans CF card - I've been considering getting one. I like the idea of CF card MP3 players because of the flexibility and lightness (all solid state - no fragile hd to skip or damage by dropping), but the downside is that the cards are small and perhaps easily lost.

Personally, I think CF players will fare better in the long run over the HD-based players because of the compactness and lightness. This also squares with the "Razor / Razor Blade" marketing concept.

Now if we can only get RIAA to sell ALBUMS on CF cards, it would really take off....

NAAAAAHHH!

:D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Ya, unfortunately its gotta be skip proof and kinda rugged since it WILL go running and I WILL drop it at least once.

That might rule out the all powerful iPod.

I hate these decisions. These's a billion players out there and I'll buy the one that sucks! Arrrghh

That might rule out the all powerful iPod.

Yes it would. The ipod doesn't work well for long periods of getting jarred around - no matter what they show on the commercials.
I've had my Nomad II for a couple of years. Still works great.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Does that product have a removeable CF card?

Yes it does, I just love it.

The only thing keeping me from buying that player is that the display doesn't show track names or times, just the track number. I also have the impression that EQ settings are predetermined; in other words, it's not possible to custom-set the equalization.

I don't want SDMI compliance either, just because of the nuisance factor.

Edit to add: do you have to use the vendor software to load the card? Is the device SDMI-constrained?

mh

The only thing keeping me from buying that player is that the display doesn't show track names or times, just the track number. I also have the impression that EQ settings are predetermined; in other words, it's not possible to custom-set the equalization.

I don't want SDMI compliance either, just because of the nuisance factor.

Edit to add: do you have to use the vendor software to load the card? Is the device SDMI-constrained?

Well dude, like I said in my original post is SIMPLE, it has some pre-determined settings and they are good, no complaints whatsoever, I've had this puppy for 2 years and still going.

There's no 'vendor software' when you plug it in, it appears like another drive, so you just drag and drop the MP3's using Explorer.

There's no 'vendor software' when you plug it in, it appears like another drive, so you just drag and drop the MP3's using Explorer.

I take it that means I can put the CF card in my laptop with a Type II adapter, drop some tunes on it, then pop it in the player and it'll work, right?

mh

I take it that means I can put the CF card in my laptop with a Type II adapter, drop some tunes on it, then pop it in the player and it'll work, right?

Yup, in fact, you can put ANYTHING you want on the CF, if there's a tune the player will play it and skip any other file, now, this player can be used as a CF Reader as well.

Yup, in fact, you can put ANYTHING you want on the CF, if there's a tune the player will play it and skip any other file, now, this player can be used as a CF Reader as well.

Schweet! This product is going for $32 + ship w/o a CF card on eBay - figger I'll get one for my b-day. I've got a 64MB CF card in my digicam, but the prices on 256MB CFs are pretty good right now. The vendor says the player will support up to 1GB (IBM micro-drive) Compact Flash.

However, it's a shame it doesn't support ID3 tags...[:/]

mh

Mine has 256mb, right now I have 50 songs on it, and it's only half full. So I'll go with being able to put at least 90 songs on it. Only takes 1 AAA battery and supposedly can go for 14 hrs, I'll be happy with 10.

CF MP3 players are the way to go. I did a ton of research before I bought one, and with the easy of adding or removing files I just don't see the need for a HD MP3. Plus with the small size you can wear it anywhere.
Fly it like you stole it!

Mine has 256mb, right now I have 50 songs on it, and it's only half full. So I'll go with being able to put at least 90 songs on it. Only takes 1 AAA battery and supposedly can go for 14 hrs, I'll be happy with 10.

CF MP3 players are the way to go. I did a ton of research before I bought one, and with the easy of adding or removing files I just don't see the need for a HD MP3. Plus with the small size you can wear it anywhere.

Mine too, (128 internal and a 128 card), my uses 2 AAA and runs for about 10 hours. Of course I used rechargeable batteries. ;)

Mine too, (128 internal and a 128 card), my uses 2 AAA and runs for about 10 hours. Of course I used rechargeable batteries. ;)

Your player has 128 internal as well as an expandable CF slot for a total of 256 or greater (depending on the CF capacity)?

mh

Yes it would. The ipod doesn't work well for long periods of getting jarred around - no matter what they show on the commercials.
I've had my Nomad II for a couple of years. Still works great

You're wrong... and judging by your statement above, you don't even own an iPod.

There are many great mp3 players out there and the ipod is definitely one of them