ianmdrennan

calling all atlanta skydivers

What part of Atlanta are you moving to? I may be able to give you more info if I know the area, having lived in Gwinnett Country for about 15 years.

- Lefty
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

ATL is a great place. Lots of culture, nightlife, restaurants, and of course SKYDIVING.

Skydive ATL (my DZ) is about 45 minutes South
ASC is a short trip (maybe an hour?) to the West
SD Monroe is about 45 minutes to the East
Rome....don't really know anything about it.

Weather is generally humid and hot in summer, short winters with very little snowfall.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I moved here 9 years ago, don't see myself living anywhere else any time soon. The weather is pretty good, mild winters, average January temp of about 42F. Summers aren't too bad, average july temp of about 78F, not too humid. You can jump all year round.

Living on the North side of the city is genrally desirable. Whether Northwest, North, or Northeast depends on where you work.

Where you live might also determine your home DZ. Several good choices. If you are Northwest Rome is a great choice. If you are in the city or South Skydive Altanta (100 miles from me, nowhere close to Atlanta) is an excellent choice. If you are east, I've heard good things about Monroe, but haven't jumped there myself. I've jumped at the other Atlanta area DZ, and won't be back.

Overall Atlanta is awesome. Big city living, but without the normal costs. Also, traffic isn't nearly as bad as in other large cities. We have more lane-miles of road per capita than anywhere.

I have been to all the Atlanta area DZs.

Skydive Monroe, Monroe - my old favorite, has their own King Air. Good place to jump.

Skydive Atlanta, Thomaston - another good place to jump, HUGE hangar. Home to lots of freeflyers and a top 4 way team.

Rome - Have had several DZ names in the past few years, just recently re-opened, but people have been great in the past and I'm sure they're great now.

Atlanta Skydiving Center, Cedartown - BAD juju. Don't get me wrong, on the surface, the place looks great, though the landing zone is tiny. But hang around a while and you notice the vibes, and it ain't good. There's a 2nd DZ opening up on the same airport at the other end. Fixing to turn into an airport feud. Get a bag of popcorn, a beer, sit back and watch the mud fly. :P

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ok folks,

Update, looks like we're moving in January all going well. I have another question....SWOOP PONDS!! Very appealing to me in chosing a DZ.

Who has 'em, who doesn't, and who's getting 'em?

I know ASC has one and Rome has a 100 ft (little short), but any others?

Blues skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

ASC has a "proper" swoop pond. It can be a bit muddy on the exits at times, but it's a PST sized diamond. The setup is a bit odd if you approach from one side, but it's nice. The plus side to this is that it keeps the swoopers, like me, on the other side of the road from the "regular" jumpers and the students. There is never any major traffic problem over the pond, so you ought to like that. As an experienced skydiver I don't give a shit about any DZ politics so long as they don't affect me. There is a lot of work there for AFF-I's, TM's and vidiots as well.

I am moving to GA in January and will be working out of Monroe due to it's closer proximity to Augusta.

Thomaston is way south of ATL; actually nearer to Macon. I like the DZ alright, but it would be a tremendous haul from the north side of ATL.

Chuck

As an experienced skydiver I don't give a shit about any DZ politics so long as they don't affect me.

me 2 - all we're looking for is a SAFE, fun relaxed enviroment. Everywhere has politics, I just chose not to get involved. I deal with enough of that at work and don't need it entering my social life as well :)
I hear good things about Monroe (although I plan on checking out ALL the dz's) so hopefully I'll meet you there one day.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

ASC has a "proper" swoop pond. It can be a bit muddy on the exits at times, but it's a PST sized diamond. The setup is a bit odd if you approach from one side, but it's nice. The plus side to this is that it keeps the swoopers, like me, on the other side of the road from the "regular" jumpers and the students. There is never any major traffic problem over the pond, so you ought to like that.

As far as I know, this is also the only swoop pond in Georgia that has a fatality to its credit. I've heard more than one pilot confused about the big puddle next to the runway.

I am moving to GA in January and will be working out of Monroe due to it's closer proximity to Augusta.

I've thought that I should open a dropzone at my flight school in Thomson which is 20 west of Augusta. There doesn't seem to be anything close to there, and all the pilots are already looking around whenever they hear jumpers away at Thomaston (Skydive Alanta).

Thomaston is way south of ATL; actually nearer to Macon. I like the DZ alright, but it would be a tremendous haul from the north side of ATL.

I learned to skydive in Thomaston (Skydive Atlanta), and while it was 98 miles from my house Northwest of Atlanta, it wasn't any longer timewise than driving to ASC which is not accessible by any interstate or major highway. Rome is another good choice if you are North of town.

As far as I know, this is also the only swoop pond in Georgia that has a fatality to its credit. I've heard more than one pilot confused about the big puddle next to the runway.

no i dont think there has been any deaths at asc swoop pond....

and also there is grass that has been planted...

and ya ive heard pilots ask about what that was...

puddle?... hardley....

so chuckey.. let me know when you get down to monroe.. i will have to make a trip over there... it is the same distance from my house to goto monroe, asc, or thomaston.

i havent been to monroe in a few years. but thomaston is always fun. as is asc.

Yep....ASC has the only proper swoop pond in the state. The exits are a bit restrictive though. One you go towards power lines and trees...the other....onto the road and parking spots. Not exactly like Perris. None of the others really have a place to put one or it would have been done already. DZ politics...I hate em......But I still won't jump at ASC. :D SD Atlanta occasionally gets clearance to swoop across the street. Big pond....not a bad exit. The landing area at SD ATL is the best in the state!
Chuckie....you aren't going to work at Ft. Gordon are you? A guy I work with now left there for here.......:D

Yep....ASC has the only proper swoop pond in the state. The exits are a bit restrictive though. One you go towards power lines and trees...the other....onto the road and parking spots. Not exactly like Perris. None of the others really have a place to put one or it would have been done already. DZ politics...I hate em......But I still won't jump at ASC. :D SD Atlanta occasionally gets clearance to swoop across the street. Big pond....not a bad exit. The landing area at SD ATL is the best in the state!
Chuckie....you aren't going to work at Ft. Gordon are you? A guy I work with now left there for here.......:D

ya it is kinda screwey where the pond is at asc. you have to be fairly accurate in what your doing. and also have to be heads up on where your going.... but if you can nail the pond there consistantly it make going to other ponds easy....

I myself am new to Atlanta and to be honest I really like it here. I live in Lilburn/Stone Mountain area, and seeing how I have been here for 5 days I cant really tell you too much except...............its pretty cool.:P
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

I myself am new to Atlanta

I hate you.....:D I grew up there...spent 10 years in the military all over the US and world.....moved back when I got out....then went back to work for Uncle Sugar and the bastard made me move to Ohio. It's supposed to snow on Thursday. [:/] Try out Monroe....it's closest to you....then go to SD Atlanta. One KICK ASS DZ. B|

no i dont think there has been any deaths at asc swoop pond....

You might want to do some research before you say that. All of the Georgia DZ's have had fatalities. ASC has had the most, and the most recent to my knowledge.

yes ... one... and not agt the swoop pond...

like you said.. maybee you should reaserch before you post that...

it was a guy that come down from illinois i think....

and he had a hard landing in the d license landing area just next to where the beer line is for the student landing area.. it was not too far from the building.....

I live in Tucker, Ga which is right next to Stone Mountain. Monroe is definately the closest, but with traffic and stop lights and shit it might take a while to get there, (I've been told 45 - 60 mins) I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. ASC is where I've done almost all of my skydiving, including AFF, and like SkyMonkeyOne I could give a fuck about DZ politics, although I've seen some things that have been kind of a buzz kill. ASC does tend more to be a tandem factory, but there are some great fliers there. There are not an over abundance of outs, but to that end it makes landing anywhere else a breeze, and it is about 1.5 hours from Tucker/ Stone Mountain. I've only jumped at Thomaston a few times, but I will say they have the best facilities and landing area, plenty of outs, the freefly scene is kick ass, and they have beautiful uhhh scenery.(yeah that's it). The parties there are top of the line. Of course there is no pond, but it is actually 15 -20 minutes closer to Tucker/ Stone Mountain than ASC (I've been making the drive to ASC for a year and I don't care what the web-site says)maybe not in actual distance, but in driving time.
Takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes. And to boot they have a Super KingAir that takes in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 minutes to altitude.

You've got choices dude.
It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.