GARYC24

Quitting cigarettes article.(10days for me)

Ever wonder what happens to your body the moment you stop smoking?
Within 20 minutes of smoking that last cigarette, the body begins a series of changes that continues for years.
20 MINUTES
Blood pressure drops to normal.
Pulse rate drops to normal.
Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal.
8 HOURS
Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal.
Oxygen level in blood increases to normal.
24 HOURS
Chance of heart attack decreases.
48 HOURS
Nerve endings start regrowing.
Ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS
Circulation improves.
Walking becomes easier.
Lung function increases up to 30%.
1 TO 9 MONTHS
Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease.
Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection.
Body's overall energy increases.
1 YEAR
Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.
5 YEARS
Lung cancer death rate for average smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half.
Stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5-15 years after quitting.
Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus is half that of a smoker's.
10 YEARS
Lung cancer death rate similar to that of nonsmokers.
Precancerous cells are replaced.
Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases.
15 YEARS
Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker.

What Are Some Rewards of Quit Smoking!
Immediate Rewards
Within 12 hours after you have your last cigarette, your body will begin to heal itself. The levels of carbon monoxide and nicotine in your system will decline rapidly, and your heart and lungs will begin to repair the damage caused by cigarette smoke.

Within a few days you will probably begin to notice some remarkable changes in your body. Your sense of smell and taste may improve. You will breathe easier, and your smoker's hack will begin to disappear, although you may notice that you will continue to cough for a while. And you will be free from the mess, smell, inconvenience, expense, and dependence of cigarette smoking.

Immediate Effects
As your body begins to repair itself, instead of feeling better right away, you may feel worse for a while. It's important to understand that healing is a process­p;it begins immediately, but it continues over time. These "withdrawal pangs" are really symptoms of the recovery process.

Immediately after quitting, many ex-smokers experience "symptoms of recovery" such as temporary weight gain caused by fluid retention, irregularity, and dry, sore gums or tongue. You may feel edgy, hungry, more tired, and more short-tempered than usual and have trouble sleeping and notice that you are coughing a lot. These symptoms are the result of your body clearing itself of nicotine, a powerful addictive chemical. Most nicotine is gone from the body in 2-3 days.

Long-range Benefits
It is important to understand that the long range after-effects of quitting are only temporary and signal the beginning of a healthier life. Now that you've quit, you've added a number of healthy productive days to each year of your life. Most important, you've greatly improved your chances for a longer life. You have significantly reduced your risk of death from heart disease, stroke, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and several kinds of cancer­p;not just lung cancer. (Cigarette smoking is responsible every year for approximately 130,000 deaths from cancer, 170,000 deaths from heart disease, and 50,000 deaths from lung disease.)
Other Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking...
Unless otherwise indicated, information in this section comes from Quit Victoria, 1995
The 1990 Report of the US Surgeon General is devoted to smoking cessation, and has reached the following major conclusions:
Smoking cessation has major and immediate health benefits for men and women of all ages. Benefits apply to persons with and without smoking-related disease.
Former smokers live longer than continuing smokers, and the benefits of quitting extend to those who quit at older ages. For example, persons who quit smoking before age 50 have one-half the risk of dying in the next 15 years compared with continuing smokers.
Smoking cessation decreases the risk of lung cancer, other cancers, heart attack, stroke, and chronic lung disease.
Women who stop smoking before pregnancy or during the first 3 to 4 months of pregnancy reduce their risk of having a low birthweight baby to that of women who never smoked.
The health benefits of smoking cessation far exceed any risks from the average 2.3 kg (5 pound) weight gain or any adverse psychological effects that may follow quitting.
British research has confirmed that quitting at any age increases life expectancy, provided that quitting takes place prior to the development of cancer or other serious disease. Those who quit before the age of 35 have a life expectancy that is not significantly different from non-smokers. For those who stop later, the risk is intermediate between non-smokers and continuing smokers. Even those who stop between 65-74 years of age experience age-specific mortality rates beyond age 75 years appreciably lower than those who continue to smoke.
Immediate benefits:
Nicotine and carbon monoxide leave the body in the first few hours after stopping smoking, although it may take up to two days for nicotine by-products to leave the body. Within a month of cessation, blood pressure returns to the normal level, and lung function has improved. After around three months, the lungs may have regained the capacity to clean themselves properly, depending on whether irreparable lung damage has occurred, and blood flow to the limbs will have improved.
Long term benefits:
Cancers
Ten years after stopping smoking, the ex-smoker's risk of developing lung cancer has declined to between 30-50% of the risk in continuing smokers, and risk continues to decline with abstinence. Quitting also lowers the risk of laryngeal cancer, and reduces the extent and severity of premalignant cellular changes in the lining of the larynx and the lungs.
Stopping smoking halves the risk of mouth and oesophageal cancers after five years of quitting. The risk of pancreatic cancer is also reduced, although this may only be measurable after ten years of abstinence. The risk of bladder cancer reduces after a number of years, but studies have conflicting findings about extent. The risk of cervical cancer is substantially lower among former smokers than current smokers, even in the first few years following cessation.
Cardiovascular disease
Smoking cessation greatly reduces the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD). Risk of mortality is reduced by about half one year after cessation, then declines gradually. After around 15 years of abstinence, the risk of CHD is similar to that of never-smokers. For those smokers with diagnosed CHD, stopping smoking appears to reduce the risk of recurrent infarction and cardiovascular death by 50% or more. Smoking cessation substantially reduces the risk of developing peripheral vascular disease, and improves management of the existing condition. Smoking cessation also reduces the risk of ischaemic stroke and subarachnoid haemorrhage.
Respiratory disease
Stopping smoking reduces rates of respiratory symptoms such as cough, sputum production and wheezing, and respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia. In smokers with established chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), stopping smoking improves pulmonary function by about 5% within a few months of cessation. The accelerated decline in lung function in smokers stops with smoking cessation, returning to the far slower rates of decline that naturally occur with ageing. With sustained abstinence, mortality rates from COPD among former smokers decline in comparison to continuing smokers.
Reproduction
The US Surgeon General has stated that 'smoking is probably the most important modifiable cause of poor pregnancy outcome among women in the United States'.
Women who stop smoking before becoming pregnant, or who quit smoking in the first three to four months of pregnancy, have infants with the same birthweight as those born to women who have never smoked. Those women who stop smoking any time up to the 30th week of pregnancy have babies with higher birthweight than those who smoke throughout pregnancy. Reducing the number of cigarettes smoked, rather than quitting completely, does not appear to benefit birthweight of the foetus.
Smoking causes women to reach menopause one to two years early, but former smokers have an age at natural menopause similar to those who have never smoked.
Other disease processes
Smokers have an increased risk of developing duodenal and gastric ulcers. The increased risk is reduced by stopping smoking. Ulcer disease is more severe, less likely to heal, and more likely to recur in smokers. Affected smokers who quit do better than continuing smokers.
Cessation and the older smoker:
As noted above, cessation at any age carries benefits for the smoker, reducing the risk of major disease. Smoking in later life has also been associated with higher rates of physical disability, poorer self-perceived health status, higher levels of depressive symptoms, and lower levels of physical function, bone mineral density, pulmonary function, and muscle strength. Cessation therefore is an important factor in bringing about improvement in general health and well-being.

I don't know about that big huge list you made, but I know that when I kiss people, I don't taste like an ashtry anymore and it seems to enhance the feeling a kiss brings. But then again, a kiss can be a prelude to a caress! and in some instances maby not, however taste is everything at that point. Keep on not puffing-Caress smokeless since Sept. 5th
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

Thats why I quit.

Day 5 - It's getting easier - The real test is when i get to the DZ tonight and start the lifting of beer to my lips.

I'm never going to smoke again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Thats why I quit.

Day 5 - It's getting easier - The real test is when i get to the DZ tonight and start the lifting of beer to my lips.

Yeah, day 5 for me too. :)
But the thought of never smoking again is not a good thing to think about. I can easily see myself not smoking today... One Day at a Time.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

And THAT is exactly why you won't smoke again.

If you are "trying to quit" you are still under the cigarette's control.

I am now into my 6th month of being a non-smoker, not 5+ months since I quit.

With the right attitude, anyone can quit!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

ive been smoke free for 5 weeks and 1 day as of today.

I am a non-smoker now. The funniest part is seeing the other rooms of restaraunts that you go to all the time. Also its funny when you're a regular and the look of shock i got at one of our regular joints when i said "No thanks, Ill take non-smoking" the girl damn near passed out.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan