laird

helmet cams

I recently went to vegas to do a little gambling and bungy jumping with the boys a AJ Hackett. Actually I was there for a wedding, but I never go to vegas without jumping off something. Anyway I took my helmet cam to get some cool footage of the jumps. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried to get on a coaster or other ride and been denied? I'm going to magic mountain next weekend for a friends b-day, and hoping to get some decent video.

"HIGAF" Honestly I Give A F*^%

I know that Six Flags specifically says that there is no still photography or videotaping on the rides, and the ride operators deny people on a regular basis because they are carrying cameras. I seem to recall a similar rule at Disney. I wouldn't be surprised if other parks have similar rules.

I wouldn't even think about being pissed when they say no. When they test rides out for the safety of the public and the local insurance provider, they certainly aren't doing the "3 extra pounds offcenter hanging off the head" test.

Your family suing for everything the park is worth would even have footage at the trial (assuming you snapped your neck).

:);)
Pretty neat,, but when I asked about wearing cameras I was told,,, sorry, no deal....[:/]>:(
I have often wondered why helmet cams have not found their way onto Ski Slopes yet...:o.
I would think that an instructor who is trailing a group of students, could video their efforts, in order to give a more thorough critique'....... Of course a wipe out could be a problem,,,, but a hard shell helmet with an enclosed PC or TRV type camera, should fare pretty well.....:|
I have sometimes thought of a "concession" of sorts,, whereby you set up 5 or 10 such helmets,,,
and then RENT THEM OUT.. to skiers for 30 minute sessions,,,,at say. 50 bucks a pop...( people always seem willing to spend $$$$$ when they are at a ski slope ))):$:$
30 minutes on the slopes,,, 30 minutes for a "staff person" to unload the footage onto a tape or a disc,,, and then back out for the next session....
Hmmmm.. 10 cameras, on helmets,,, figure 10 grand,,, tops........
then EACH unit gets used for say 6 hours @ sat. and sun..... thats 300 $$$ per helmet PER DAY.....
thats 3 grand on sat. ,, 3 grand on sunday,,, and by the SECOND weekend you may be able to recoup your intital outlay..... of course there are staff expenses,, but a 2 or 3 person team some modest editing equipment, and a good response to the idea,,, and I think you could make some money from it....
All potential RENTERS,, would be asked to sign a waiver,, and to accept responsibility,, for any equipment which is returned damaged..( you break it you buy it ).. You could take a deposit AND the persons' drivers license, as collateral..as well as a record of their automobile lic. plate.....
As the cost and size of camcorders continues to be reduced..... this idea seems feasible to me... Am I being silly??? or is this possible???
It seems to me that parents of children who are skiing would be possible clients,,, as well as experienced skiers who would like to have a video recording of their adventures...... The helmets would be "self advertising",,, you couldn't miss them,,, in the lift lines and on the chair lifts,,,, you could order size large and x-large helmets,, so that a liner or the clients' own hat can be worn under it,,, If you can work with a forward thinking Ski Slope Operator,,, and are willing to share some of the profits,,,, I wonder if it can work....
As for COLD temperatures... I have been jumping with SONY equipment, in wintertime temperatures, at 10,000 foot altitudes,for a number of years,, and I think the equipment can handle it.........
So... friends, if ANY of you decide to consider this,,, you can be sure to send a "finders fee" to me,,, anytime!!!... and i will reinvest it in camera gear...;) B| [sly ] [ cool]

I went to Cedar Point this summer and tried to bring a camera on many rides. BIG NO. I wanted to take it on Top Thrill Dragtser so bad. That is now the fastest coaster in the world. No movie but oooooooOOOOoooooo Big Rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Go kart footage is pretty good, need a wide angle lense like .5 at least. .4 is better if you can run in a pack. Take your sight off, you don't want it on if you get hit and there is the possibility of getting thrown.
We did a skydiver night at the local indoor track and they were more than happy to let us use our helmets for video, our editor got allof our footage and sent the operators a copy and they use it for promos.

while we are on a subject of helmet cams for skiing/snowboading... I am taking sidemount trv22 to Wyoming in 2 weeks, and have been really thinking hard about how long i can realistically last with the bulk on my head. Anybody with any experience ? I did a fair amount of taping with an old CCD-TRV57 ( old hi8 , bulky ) handheld - the videos were fine, but lugging that brick around wasn't any fun at all.

any opinions/ideas ?

I went skiing on saturday and took my helmet cam. I wrapped it in that clear plastic clinging stuff(, the name escapes me). Im glad I did it rained/snowed. A very wet day. I ended up taking the camera to the car about mid day. Low light combined with water on the lens made for crappy video anyway. The extra weight on my head didn't help either(duh Right). I was throwing 360's off a 6 footer, and not quit sticking the landing, still experiencing slight wiplash:S. Much better video from a second person. The camera worked fine and stayed dry, but I was getting paranoid about it getting wet. I have the viosport camera I think I'll try next time. Another thing I tried with limited success was attaching my camera to an RC stunt car. Definitely a interesting view, but again I got paranoid about damaging the camera. So we took it off and ran the car back and forth shooting at it with paintball makers. Yea we were bored.

"HIGAF" Honestly I Give A F*^%

>I have often wondered why helmet cams have not found their way onto Ski Slopes yet . . .

We take our cameras on DZ ski trips all the time.

>As for COLD temperatures... I have been jumping with SONY
> equipment, in wintertime temperatures, at 10,000 foot altitudes,for
> a number of years,, and I think the equipment can handle it.........

I've tested lithium ion batteries in a lot of different conditions, and there is a big difference between subjecting a battery to -20F for 60 seconds and -20F for two hours.

I've tested lithium ion batteries in a lot of different conditions, and there is a big difference between subjecting a battery to -20F for 60 seconds and -20F for two hours.

...for sure... if it is -20 F,,, I think i would be sittin' near the fire.. reviewing footage.. But if it's nicer out,,, and if you're carrying back up batteries,,,,it sounds possible....
Thanks for the feedback, from individual users of video cams on the slopes..
.. What are your thoughts, about a video "concession" ? at the local ski area? :|
ski softly, ski often, ski with friends....:$;)

> and if you're carrying back up batteries,,,,it sounds possible....

Ski patrollers sometimes deal with the issue by carrying batteries inside their shirts. More work but gives them longer lifetimes on their radios.

>What are your thoughts, about a video "concession" ? at the local ski area?

Not sure I'd want to run it. How much impact (and water) can a typical video camera withstand? I guess it would depend on how rugged you can make the case, but people will still be opening the case on ski lifts to change batteries, tapes etc. When you look at what people do to rental skis . . .