rhino

U.S. bars opponents from Iraq bids

About the most common theme between SH and Hitler is the moustache (similar types of ethnic cleansing/genocide happened in Rwanda and Bosnia). As I said previously I think linking SH and Hitler is the weakest argument I've heard for the military action that happened.

Then why do you keep comparing them?
Getting back to the issue at hand, what solutions would you propose?

So you think we have INVADED Iraq? You do not think him gassing millions of his own people justified action?

We should try to stick to the facts even so Saddam is a mass-murderer. He actually gassed thousands not millions (estimate is at least 5000 Kurds 15 years ago). He also used gas in the Iran war. How many were killed by gas in the war I do not know.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I don't know that I fully agree with you. A few folks in different threads have made suggestions about what could be changed to improve the situation.
It mostly seems to revolve around bringing the UN in to assist in running the country. Hopefully that would enable other nations to assist by providing investment for a fair shake at rebuilding work (just the chance to bid for an impartial work order not an actual contract) to guarantee that their money isn't being wasted and that a fair price is being paid.

UN troops would be beneficial to guard and dispose of the munition dumps around the place and provide an impartial paramilitary force in the towns and cities that could allow the US troops and armour to leave those flashpoint areas and concentrate on searching other locations/borders and disposing of munitions.

David

I was referring to this thread in particular.

Companies from countries that did not support the war are able to be sub-contractors. I don't see the big deal with that to be honest.

'UN troops' is a misnomer. There are troops from individual countries placed under UN command.

Having other countries be a part of what is going on there would be nice. The US and UK bore the brunt of the operation. Their companies deserve first dibs.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Personally, I don't have a problem with the restriction, either. I still think there's favoritism from the administration going on regarding no-bid contracts. But I don't have a problem with bidding being restricted to those countries that actively participated.

This only has to do with contract being paid for by US funds. The international/UN funds that are also being used for rebuilding, are open to any nations to bid on.

>Bill, with regards to the post to which I'm replying, you of all people
> know well that the paradigm of foreign policy at the time we sold
> Saddam Hussein WMD's was vastly different than that of today.

Oh, I agree. I just mention it to show that the old excuse "anyone who uses chemical weapons is evil and must be deposed" is nonsense. Anyone who we want deposed gets deposed, and anyone we want supported gets supported - whether they are using WMD's or not.

>Therefore that 'we sold him WMD's' garbage of an argument works
> on the ignorant to cast doubt about the foreign policy avenue Bush
> chose to pursue.

Well, heck, the "we went to war to stop an imminent threat to the US from Saddam's nuclear weapons" seems to work as well on the ignorant. Heck, some people probably feel safer now that Hussein's nuclear weapons have been rounded up and accounted for, his ICBM's rendered inoperative, and his vast stocks of Sarin under US control. That's good for Bush but bad for any system of government that relies on an informed electorate.

>It seems all of the banter focuses around slamming Bush and such
>vice finding the optimal solution to any problems.

What are you saying there? I think you meant something other than "vice" in your sentence.

I posted something of my thoughts on what could happen but one thing that I do think would also work is to split the country into three areas pretty much along the Kurdish/ central and southern (UK) zones.
I'm thinking that the only thing keeping the country together was the will of SH. Seeing the way that Yugoslavia broke up after Tito (same strong dictator type government) and the seperation of the USSR after communism went south that it may be better to let it happen while the forces are there to stabilise it than have everyone leave and let it go tits up ten years later. Turkey wouldn't like the Kurdish region and I'm not sure how Syria or the rest of the Arab League would view the break up but I would think that having three states with a Federal government wouldn't be a bad idea.

Encourage the identities of the regions so that they stabilise and worry about the integration later. I saw the struggle to make a diverse representative council and the Sunni' have no interest in letting it work if they have now become the minority. This way they could still have the illusion of controlling their own region but it allows the Shia and Kurds to move on and not be oppressed if they have regional control.

David

'UN troops' is a misnomer. There are troops from individual countries placed under UN command.

Yes I'm aware of that as my brother was a blue beret in Kigali, Rwanda immediately after the genocide. I've also known a few that were in Bosnia prior to IFOR and I'm aware of the limitations.

Not sure I agree with the first dibs aspect though several UK companies are applying for sub contract work as they're just not big enough for the full contracts. I believe that the UK position is that they'd rather give it to Iraqi companies first if possible as a way of employing them and kicking off the economy.
I believe that anyone who donated to the donors conference of international money should get the same opportunity to bid. I understand the restrictions to the US money but maybe this is the problem. Shouldn't that be added to the international pile so that other donors get the chance to bid? Donate 100 million for the chance to bid for the contracts on a fair basis?

David