tunaplanet

What the.....

Maybe I am behind on the times, but I just found out something extremely disturbing.

I spend a lot of time with children. I am a Big Brother and do what I can to help out him and his mother who is a widow.

I picked him up from school today and he told me he had fun in PE today. I said, "What, did you get to nail a kid in dodgeball?"

He looked up at me with this bewildered look on his face.

"No, we aren't allowed to play dodgeball."

I about lost control of my car.

Apparantly, and I am sure all of you all know this already, dodgeball is not allowed in the schools (at least in Florida in the Tampa Bay Area).

Are you serious? Do we really want our children going out into the real world completely pussified (yes, I think I just made that word up)?

I was talking with some old friends about this and they thought I was nuts because I didn't know dodgeball was banned a while ago. This apparantly was a big deal. And it should have been.

I am just shocked that they would take away something as traditional as dodgeball? Friends told me that one of the many reasons they gave was that it promotes violence. Give me a break.

Anyone else in awe of this? Maybe everyone else is happy that it is banned. Maybe I'm just off the wagon here.

Forty-two

One of our elective PE courses for a semester was called Combatives.

It was ultra competetive, physical games. It was great. I make it a point to beat the hell out of my nephews playing some game or another every time I see them to make up for what they're missing.

---for those who are about to freak out. When I say beat the hell out of, I just mean rough house, knock down, tackle, throw in the air....ok, yeah, I mean beat the hell out of them :P

Okay, the pussification of the American male took place some time ago. As the mother of an 11 year old boy, let me 'splain. Someone (an idiot in my book - because I was a KILLER dodgeball player) decided it was TOO DANGEROUS for our children to play AND it promoted violence. So I taught the neighbor kids how to play greek dodge in the streets. . .not as fun as with a BIG CLASS but the kids loved it. I got into hot water with the other moms so I quit trying to organize this kind of stuff with the neighbor kids. So a few years later my kid takes up basketball. . .his coach tells me he is a little soft isn't he. . .at this point I decided it was time for the young man to go live with his father for some MASCULINITY training because it was obvious he wasn't getting it from me. He is doing much better now and is starting to act like a young man. . .I couldn't take a wuss for a kid because I was a tomboy and always did what the guys did.

Anyway, as much as I like a sensitive guy, they better be a bit tough and masculine to go with the sensitivity. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Oh yeah he was serious. . .when my son was playing little league, the minors did not keep score. . .too competitive. . .

Rediculous. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Everyone that can, gets a ball ready, blow the whistle, and it's Newspeople splatting time!!!!

You just reminded me of something cool about my job. Once every 3 months I get to go to work and beat up my co-workers. I even get to shoot them repeatedly with a sim(paintball) gun. I guess work ain't so bad.....:D

Oh ABSOLUTELY. . .

I just got so fed up with trying to teach my son to be a man and fend off the neighbor kids' pussy parents. . .it was horrible. . .

Oh, and for what it's worth. . .my son now knows how to use powertools and he thinks his mom is the coolest because she jumps out of airplanes and rides dirt bikes. . .lol
FGF #6
Darcy

You just reminded me of something cool about my job. Once every 3 months I get to go to work and beat up my co-workers. I even get to shoot them repeatedly with a sim(paintball) gun. I guess work ain't so bad.....

I have to be more subtle and sabotage their computers. Wish I could kick some of their asses.

Now now boys, no fighting. . .there is plenty to go around. . .lol

Yep, I can bait a hook too. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Before I was an a-hole lawyer, I was an a-hole kid. When we played dodgeball I did not aim center mass. Rather, I aimed right for the face. I can still picture Darren's bloody nose. Red welts were the order of the day. For most of us kids, the injuries were fine. I myself got clocked on a few occasions.

Unfortunately, some parents were not particularly fond of certain forms of physical education. Physical education it truly was. The laws of inertia, gravity, and even thermodynamics (tempers burned) were fully demonstrated.

The problems among the soccer moms and "Project Self Esteem" crowds were that in dodgeball, people got could lose and get hurt. This is unacceptable to many in the educational elite, since to lose might hurt someone's feelings.

I like Phillykev's thingy. I'd love to see a PE class in combatives. Capture the flag. Rugby. Even something like a leadership reaction course.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

dodgeball was banned at the school I used to teach at after three kids got broken noses.

The problem with that game (and I LOVED to play it when I was a kid) is that some kids can be downright mean to other kids. What happens is the bully takes the opportunity to hurl the ball full force at another child's face, and you end up with broken bones. When the bully AND THEIR PARENTS are confronted the bully claims that they were "just playing the game... I was SUPPOSED to hit him with the ball!" and then the school gets sued by the parents of the injured child.