sarge

Whats in Oregon?

... Besides B.A.S.E.

The other night someone asked me if I've ever been to Oregon. My first reaction was, "why?" [would anyone want to go to Oregon] ... except to B.A.S.E.

Still wondering... I check the USPA Members list first, the the DZ.Com Dropzones then finally just for shits&giggles the Oregon Dept of Tourisim website.

Hmmmm? Fishing, whale-watching and kite flying aside... Skydive Oregon sounded kinda tasty, albeit quite a long trip w/the rv!!!

Sounds like a cool adventure?

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Come on out Sarge.... I lived in Oregon for 20 years.. and you just about summed it up.. now if you do it mid August..(when the BIG 40-50 pound chinook show up) you can go salmon fishing with me at the mouth of the Columbia River in the morning...I have a slip that I have kept there for years and years... and its a 3 hour drive so in the afternoon with FRESH Chinook salmon slabs.. you can get to SDO and BBQ them up in the evening...after jumping.;)

FRESH Chinook salmon slabs.. you can get to SDO and BBQ them up in the evening...after jumping

NOOOO WAYYY! un-real!

Damn!!! sounding more tasty by the ssecond!

Thats about WWFC time though...[:/] is that peak season for the Chinook? (Mid-August?)

--

In July there is almost never a rainy day... its the hot(for Oregon) and Dry season.. SDO is at the north end of the Willamette Valley... south of the Columbia River to the N which you can see as well as Portland.. from altitude.. To the west is the coast range.. all less than 3500 feet for the most part.. and to the East is Mt Hood sitting on top of the Cascades... To the northeast you can see Mt Adams and Mt St Helens and when its clear.. Mt Rainier up here by Seattle.

The peak of the salmon season is mid august... period.. the fishies are very much in a hurry to head upriver after that.. runs vary.. but the biggies are there about the 12th to the 20th.. after that you have to settle for the little 10 to 15 pound silvers in hordes.. with many smaller ones.. depending on how well they fed for the year they spent at sea.. Chinook stay at sea longer... so get quite a bit bigger. It all depends on if the run is a 2-3 or 4-5 year run.

I will be going to LP just before.. I will pass on WFFC.. I hate the HUMIDITY and the heat...I have aclimatized to the NW and am used to the cooler.. dry summers.;)

Does SDO get a lot of loads up during the week?

I think I'll investigate further into just flying-in to save time and avoid Mountains with the rv?

Weird.... Never really thought about Oregon before as a trip?

--

There is no reason to visit Oregon. Just stay home. Go somewhere else. Lots of nice places to visit. We don't have anything worth seeing here. Everyone go back to your homes.

And I don't know why you think there's any base here. Everything is low and nasty. There are some lovely cliffs in Washington on the other hand.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

There are some lovely cliffs in Washington on the other hand.

LMAO!!!!

Are there a lot of ex-surfers now B.A.S.E.'ng; although not in Oregon?

Sorry, Shhh... I aint tellin' nobody!:)

--

Lots of cool things in Oregon......they have lots of beautiful rivers and some nice parks........the only one I can think of at the moment is Silver Falls-really nice collection of about 12 falls and some nice hiking.....very comercialized though.......And a really good taco stand in town of Silver Falls-found it by acident and won a bet with my g/f cause she said no mexican food for hundreds of miles! The also have a great hippie festival every year;)B|:P:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I heard Oregon is full of Californians. Is that true?

Nah not true Lisa... alot come up here but end up leaving... they can't handle the suidcidal tendencies that all the gray skies and short ass days in the winter bring on...

This is GOUNRD ZERO for S.A.D.... Seasonal Affected Disorder.

The bottom line our weather is all that keeps Oregon and Washington from becoming Californicated;)

But Notice I was inviting Sarge to visit Oregon.... BWAHAHAHA.. not Washington where I live:P

I am sure Narcimund noticed... hence his reply....:)

ok i was the one who asked if sarge had ever been to oregon.
the reason:
on highway 58 on my way back from snowboarding there is big ass boulder where there is a lot of grafitii
in large letters bold letters it is spray painted
"skydive sarge"
I went thursday boarding, but i forgot my digi camera>:(
when I go monday i will not forget;)
i'll post a pic when i get back

edited to add most of my jumping is in the middle of the week, but it is out of a 182

I lived in Oregon for 12 years. I had just started to get used to the weather when..........I started skydiving. Well Northwest weather just wasnt gonna do for me :( so had to relocate. But....the state is awesome you really have it all: Mountains, Rivers, Ocean Beaches, Deserts........But best of all ""Portland has the BEST FREAKING MICRO-BREW EVER!!!!!!!
If you get the chance.....go see "and taste"
<<>>
Tami
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oregon annoys me because whenever I go there, everyone is saying my name, only they're not trying to address me. >:(

Basically Oregon is what's between Washington and California. If you're in one of those and you want to go to the other, Oregon is a scenic connection with a modest helping of attractive things that will sting or poison you.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

ok i was the one who asked if sarge had ever been to oregon.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! :D:DB|

btw: I'd love to go to Oregon (in July or August!)

I'd buy gas and bait and beer... jumps, whatever, to go out for some big salmons!!! Damn! I'll even cook 'em, nobody has ever complained about my cooking!!

I'm going vidiot this year so... ultra bonus!

--