MissMae

What should I do?

I have been chasing a contractor down to come and lay tile in the house (about 1000 square feet worth) and he keeps putting me off. Well last night he decided to go out drinking and I was honestly expecing him here or at least a phone call by 9am this morning. I call him at 9.30 and he calls back at 10.20 saying he made a bad choice last night and just woke up. Personally I don't really care about his "bad" choices, he had obligations and I'm living in 4 different rooms waiting for him to lay tile. I also found someone else who would come lay it this week, so I'm 1/2 way tempted to make him share the job w/ someone else because he blew me off all weekend. So much for my jumping this weekend. I think that is what pissed me off the most. I had planned to get out of here at 9.30 and head to the DZ, get a couple of jumps in and come back here and paint..

So, what would you do.

take the time to appreciate the people around you.

Don't be silly. This is a free market. Capitalism, it's way cool.

It's nothing personal, it's business.

Pay the person that's ready to do the work. Don't hold a grudge against drinking guy, honestly, this is "the norm". Reason? Contractors are typically so overbooked with work that it's tough to find someone to give your money to.

Anyhow, lifes to short, take a deep breath, forgive the other guy because resentment only eats at your gut, and get the new guy in there to finish your floor.

Peace, Seasons Greetings.

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Do not make them share the job because he will make your life hell in order to get the money he feels he is owed which is more than what his half would be.

We had far worse problems with building our house and we found scrapping them and going completely with someone new was the best choice. I suggest telling the slacker that his time is up and thank him for his efforts. Then tell him he won't be needing to come out at all. I am sure he will plead with you or maybe offer a discount.

Don't split anything, it will only cause you more problems.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

There's NO EXCUSE for poor service like that...geez, that guy sounds like the contractor/plumber I hired to come out and fix my sink...the first time, we waited around for this guy and he never showed up. The next day when he called me back after I couldn't reach him he said (no shit), "I'm gonna have to tell you something that no woman wants to hear. I forgot about you." Can you believe that?!? I was just livid, but this work was being contracted through insurance, so I didn't have much of a choice. And when he did show up (an hour later than he had rescheduled to do it) it wasn't like he was a hottie or anything that you could see could even potentially get away with using a line like that in ANY situation, let alone business...

DUMP THE CHUMP. Go with another contractor. If that's his customer service, imagine how sloppy his work will be...:|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Use the other contractor. There's no way you'd be able to split the business and make everyone feel like they were treated fairly.

On a side note for anyone doing business with contractors in the state of Florida (I don't know the laws in other states), make sure they are licensed and insured for General Liability and Worker's Comp or that they are Worker's Comp. exempt. If you want to protect yourself even further, get a Certificate of Insurance issued in your name from the contractor's insurance company.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Depends, is this a hand shake deal or is there a contract involved? If you've signed anything, make sure you read it well before you fire him. Nothing worse than getting bad service, finding someone else to do the work and going through all the hassle, and then having to pay the guy anyway because you didn't follow the contract. It has happened.

I'd definitely be looking for someone else to do the work, but not sure I'd be hiring a friends brother without checking out his work a thoroughly as you did the first contractor.
D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

I voted to just let the other contractor do it, since I know what you are going through.

Personally, why couldn't you live closer? You could have said ta hell with both of them and just hired me to do your tile work. ;) I LOVE working with ceramic and slate. Arrrrgggghhh. Gotta find some "during" pictures of my new kitchen....
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Go with the guy who will do it now.
I took me 11 months to get back the $550 the jackass who was to do my fence. The Sheriff sale at his house cost him $1100.00 to avoid. He did damage by exchanging my matrial for cheaper.
RID yourself of him IMMEDIATLY. You'll pay the price for HIS actions otherwise.[:/]

Sounds like you have a "deal" going....has he started the work yet?.....if not...drop him and get the work done...If your paying retail or close to it...there is no excuse for not showing up to do the work(esp, drinking the night before)....however if you have a "deal" going...there still is not a real excuse to not show up....drop the guy/deal and get things moving.

I always try and help my friends out....however...retail customers come before they do at work.......most leave there vehicles with me for the day and I get to them when I can...allowing me to keep my retail customers happy and also help them out with discounted work....but if I dont have a chance to get to there vehicles.....I'll contact them and let them know this...or refere them to someone else who can help them for cheaper.

Deal or no deal...dude sounds to be unreliable...drop him and go elsewhere.