Rigless

Reverse 3 rings

Just to inform you - reverse 3 rings have 2 flaws. And one benefit.

1. Higher force (than normal 3 ring) is required for cutaway when dealing with high cenripetal forces.
But if used on big docile canopies this is no problem.

2. If you have horseshue or dual out reserve risers will be pressing 3 ring and they won't cutaway. After pulling cutaway handle, you will have to pull them away from reserve risers - then they will work.

Benefit - they are usually stronger (they don't have hole in them).

Just to inform you - reverse 3 rings have 2 flaws. And one benefit.

1. Higher force (than normal 3 ring) is required for cutaway when dealing with high cenripetal forces.
But if used on big docile canopies this is no problem.

2. If you have horseshue or dual out reserve risers will be pressing 3 ring and they won't cutaway. After pulling cutaway handle, you will have to pull them away from reserve risers - then they will work.

From BILL BOOTH (the inventor of 3-ring release):

"Reversed risers are 3 ring risers where the riser rings face the jumpers body, instead of facing away as they do on normal risers.

In a misguided attempt to make type 17 (mini) 3 ring risers stronger, the French eliminated the grommet that passes through the riser, thinking this was a weak point. They then put the "0" grommet for the closing loop to go through on a floppy 1" tab. Then, so that the 3-ring housings wouldn't have to come around to the front, flipped the riser over so that the riser rings faced the jumper's shoulders

There are three problems with this approach. 1. Risers don't break at the grommet. They break where they go around the harness ring. 2. The closing loop on reversed risers does not make the 180 degree direction change it does on properly built risers, so the release force is doubled, and the "suck through" or "jamming" force is cut in half. 3. For a 3 rings to release, they must flip through each other. Since a bag lock might not stand you up enough to pull the risers away from your body, reversed risers might not release in that situation, because your body blocks the flip through motion.

-------------------------------------------

I don't know about you, but I want my 3-rings to work EVERY time, in ANY malfunction situation. "Most of the time" just doesn't cut it. Reversed risers, soft housings, and all other "improvements" to the 3-ring lower reliability. Emergency systems are simply no place to cut corners. I cry every time I see a poorly made 3-ring, but there is nothing I can do about it, but tell you again, "There is one best way to make a 3-ring release system, and it doesn't cost a dime more to do it right. The plans are available from the Relative Workshop." How much is your life worth?

-------------------------------------------

On reversed (Integrity) risers...The scariest stories I've heard about them happen in two canopy out situations. Often, the main risers are held back across the shoulders, preventing the unfortunate jumper from cutting the main away in a "personal downplane" situation.

Reversed risers offer no advantages, have lower mechanical advantage, have no published construction or inspection specifications (so you can't tell if they are going to work in a high "G" situation), and can kill you in the above situation (and others). They should be replaced, and you should get very mad at anyone who sold them to you. The same is true for most "soft housing" 3-ring release systems.

If the inventor says its a bad idea, why , why would you continue to push for doing it ? or even ask about ? :S[:/] unbe efen beleivable......

The Inventor is human, just like the rest of us, and just because it's typed on dropzone.com, doesnt make it gospel.

I am surprised by the number of people on here that will read something and not even have the smarts to question the free advice they've been given on the internet. :S

Integrity risers have their place in this world, just like everything else.

Here is some reading about Type 17 risers:

Type 17 Riser Study
http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=T17STUDY&SortBy=DATE_D

Cause Of Type 17 Riser Failures Identified
http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=T17FAILURE&SortBy=DATE_D

Do not exagerate their dangerosity neither.
I had PdF reverse risers and cutaway a fast spinning mal with no trouble at all, like thousands have done with no problem. I've witnessed three cases (and heard of more) when the risers did not release on their own and had to be helped. That's why I changed mine for "regular" risers.

What I mean is, if they may not be the best idea in the world, they're not a death trap. Actually, they have not killed yet at my knowledge, after hundreds of thousands jumps with them (You can see this system everywhere in Europe).

I would not say the same thing of soft housings with highly loaded mains.

Something else to keep in mind is in the US reverse 3 rings are not common in skydiving and therefore could be tougher for someone to give you a gear check. If someone is not used to seeing them then they may not know if they are routed wrong when looking at them. Having someone give me a gear check before doing CRW gets a lot of strange looks and I can imagine you would get the same looks with reverse 3 rings. Really doesn't matter what people think about how your gear looks but if you are asking them to make sure you are going to be safe then it might make a difference.

Listen Einstein.....It isn't mindless repeating of info on the internet, its fact.

Bill has been warning about reverse risers and other idiot misadventures since long before the internet became a daily obsession.

I've had the conversations with him, i have been fortunate to meet him several times over the years and he is a wealth of knowledge and a blast to talk to.

Don't forget he has developed most of the important stuff you wear on your back when you step out.

If the guy who invented the water bed tells you not to go to bed with broken glass in your pockets,,,would you consider that a good idea ? or would you say aww, "he don't know shit" ?

[:/]

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Listen Einstein.....It isn't mindless repeating of info on the internet, its fact.

Don't worry! I believe you!

Bill has been warning about reverse risers and other idiot misadventures since long before the internet became a daily obsession.

I know it! You should check out the article his company published on the RSL. If you search this website real hard, you're likely to find it in the article section.

I've had the conversations with him, i have been fortunate to meet him several times over the years and he is a wealth of knowledge and a blast to talk to.

OMG! Me Too! :o

Don't forget he has developed most of the important stuff you wear on your back when you step out.

I never called Bill a fool. I just called him human.

If the guy who invented the water bed tells you not to go to bed with broken glass in your pockets,,,would you consider that a good idea ? or would you say aww, "he don't know shit" ?

[:/]

I'd be less concerned about bursting the bed than I would be about having broken glass in my pockets. Let alone the inventor believing it was a logical scenario...

Until next time, keep drinking that koolaid!