whatever

What nation murders the Queen's English in the most foul manner?

now the real problem is that the english dont speak english, well not the queens english, we speak real english,
which to the rest of the world sounds like a load of crap, its full of slang, swear words and other misuses.
I think its great, however my american colleagues just look at me like I am talking martian. I have had to teach them so many swear words,

the Scandinavians are probably the best at speaking english,

and us english well, as we know if the whole world spoke good , real english then life would be so simple, for me,lolB|

the english are just a bunch of monolingual,ignorant , beer swilling and I am so proud to be one,:ph34r:
Fly like an aardvark

which to the rest of the world sounds like a load of crap, its full of slang, swear words and other misuses.
I think its great,

that's one of the most entertaining things anywhere in the world, but only in England could you go down to the battlecruiser with your artful dodger and say: 'look at those bristols...' ;);)

soon to be gone

I think its great,

that's one of the most entertaining things anywhere in the world, but only in England could you go down to the battlecruiser with your artful dodger and say: 'look at those bristols...' ;);)

Battlecruiser? It was rub-a-dub when I was living there. But I'm sure Bristols will never go out of fashion.B|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

English has its origins in the same language that German does.

All those "extra letters" used to actually be pronounced. For example "Knight", instead of being pronounced "nite" like it is now, was said "kah-nig-ht" Over the centuries, we got lazy and pronounciation evolved while spelling did not (but it was standardized).

Another reason English is so difficult, is although it has Germanic roots, it also has borrowed from everything else its come into contact with. Our language is a mix of sounds that are primarily Germanic, but have words with Latin and Greek roots as well, and those are pronounced and spelled differently...which is why there are "rules" in English, but so many f-ing exceptions! I felt so sorry for my English Language Learner (ELL) kids when I was teaching, because they learned one rule and tried to apply it to everything, and I had to explain "no, this, this, and this are exceptions...you have to just memorize them." It seemed like my students had to learn not just one language, but a mishmash of three!

Language and thought are intimately associated, and the English speaking peoples have dominated the world for several centuries now. For example, compare the number of Nobels won by English speakers with all others.

Oh... Speaking English is not a big thing...

Writing it is... It's one **cked up lg. in that sense.

Too true!

Why spell phlegm when flem will do?
Knot vs not
Phthisis vs tisis.
Phsycologist vs sycologist.

There are too many to mention here.:P

I must confess that us 'damned Sef Efricans' have done our share though.:ph34r:

Why not spell "fish" g-h-o-t-i?

gh as in cough
o as in women
ti as in station

(George Bernard Shaw)

Battlecruiser? It was rub-a-dub when I was living there. But I'm sure Bristols will never go out of fashion

for sure, rub-a-dub, I just prefer the way battle cruiser sits in the sentence…

it’s also used in one of my favourite brit movie scenes, in ‘lock, stock and two smoking barrels’

nothing like nice set of bristols and a tight ‘arris!

my brother was in the U.S. when trainspotting hit the theatres – he was the only guy in theatre laughing!

Language and thought are intimately associated, and the English speaking peoples have dominated the world for several centuries now. For example, compare the number of Nobels won by English speakers with all others.

yeah, that’s the real paradigm shift, right there, when I started thinking in English instead of my mother language…

IMHO a lot of the interesting variations on English from around the globe are a result of thinking in another language while communicating in English…

Why not spell "fish" g-h-o-t-i?

gh as in cough
o as in women
ti as in station

dude, that rocks!
One of the best examples of English having practically more exceptions than rules…

soon to be gone

Limmie bastards! :P

but eurotrash is worse.

edit to add: she ain't my queen!

/////////////////////////////
AMEN to that!
A.O.H. Brother & check my Tattoo.(icon)B|
No Celt ever sounded like he was chocking on candy when speaking;)

oohh, just thought of another one...
Jamicans.... I'd swear they're not speaking english. but when the slow down you realize that you can understand about 1/2 of waht they're saying.

Most other languages require conjugation of verbs, you have to match the adj w/ the sex of the noun & even others you have to conjugate the noun... it's CRAZY!!
Yes, spelling in english is VERY hard!! I could still use lots of help, but at least you say the same verb no matter who you're talking about.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Most other languages require conjugation of verbs, you have to match the adj w/ the sex of the noun & even others you have to conjugate the noun... it's CRAZY!!
Yes, spelling in english is VERY hard!! I could still use lots of help, but at least you say the same verb no matter who you're talking about.

She's got a point, ladies and gents. IIRC, depending on subject and tense, Latin verbs could have well over 200 forms. I think English easily stops short of 20. Tense is controlled with other words: have been, was, etc. MUCH easier on that count.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Whatever:

I have it on infourmation and belief that I am the person responsible for this poll.

My flippant and ill-considered comment on the "your/you're" thread seemed to have triggered it.

But nobody, I mean nobody, does as much damage to the English language as a hip-hop rapper, ya knows what I'm sayin'?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I know you're not trying to tell me Finnish is an easy language. Finnish and Hungarian are two of the absolute hardest languages on Earth. They are easy to pronounce once you have the phonetics down, but learning the language is nigh on impossible.

German, now there is an easy language.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Whatever:

I have it on infourmation and belief that I am the person responsible for this poll.

My flippant and ill-considered comment on the "your/you're" thread seemed to have triggered it.

But nobody, I mean nobody, does as much damage to the English language as a hip-hop rapper, ya knows what I'm sayin'?

;) yup, you pretty much triggered it! ;)

I wouldn't call your comment ill-considered, it's perfectly valid and everyone has their own frame of reference.

I was also being facetious when calling it the Queen's English, English is anyone's who speaks it, it is a multi-facted and continuously evolving language.

and I know very few people consider her their queen and....

I know Wales is it's own country and I know how entertaining it can be trying to find our way around Wales if you have no knowledge of the Welsh language.... :P

word up on the hip hop homies, though....

what's the 411, dog?

'infourmation'

ROTFLMAO - I hope you meant to do that...
it's super funny whether you did or not... :D:D

I'm glad this poll has gone the way it has, it was never intended in a derogatory way towards anyone, just a discussion on the idiosyncrasies of English and how people in different parts of the world use it.

what really got, and still gets me, is that just about everyone in Canada thinks a pylon is a (usually orange) traffic cone!

:S:S:S:S:S:S:S

soon to be gone

I know you're not trying to tell me Finnish is an easy language. Finnish and Hungarian are two of the absolute hardest languages on Earth. They are easy to pronounce once you have the phonetics down, but learning the language is nigh on impossible.

German, now there is an easy language.

It's all about the point of view... :P

Well, Finnish, being synthetic lg. makes it possible to have almost any word order in a sentence and still the meaning is the same (although some of these examples are rather "weird" in Finnish, they still present the same information... :S

[John] [gave] [him] [an apple] (SVOiOd) (OK)
An apple him gave John (WTF?)....etc.etc.

[John] [antoi] [hänelle] [omenan] (SVOiOd) (OK)
Omenan hänelle antoi John (OdOiVS) (OK)
Omenan antoi hänelle John (OdVOiS) (OK)
Hänelle John antoi omenan (OiSVOd) (OK)
John antoi omenan hänelle (SVOdOi) (OK)

etc. etc. etc.

:S

I think we do in the U.S. We even came up with different ways to spell the words just to be different.

Well Dog,

Dropping the "u" from "ou" words is the American Way, so that changes yor name.