JohnRich

Guns & Political Correctness

> from the same wonderful people that brought you the Soviet Union
> and the ideals of Marxist/Lennonism!

Hard to figure out who you're going after here. The liberal wing of the Russian government is now the pro-Western side; the conservative wing is the communist. The pro-Kremlin party (i.e. Putin's party) won big in the recent election, which is a potential problem for the US - Putin almost certainly abused the power of his position to win the election, and the country may well be moving towards a new more-totalitarian government.

Which leaves people with a new problem - which party do you choose to hate nowadays? The liberals, the communists or the totalitarians? I suppose you could just hate all russians. Worked well in the 50's.

The public high school across the street from my apartment has a dress code more or less

white, opaque shirt, long sleeves, no cleavage
dark full length pants
loose fitting but not more than a couple sizes too big
no logos

and considering the ghetto nature of the school it seems to work fairly well. a friend of mine teaches there and while she still has tons of stories of gangs and dropouts and teenage pregnancy &c it seems like at least the dress code isn't a source of controversy.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

> from the same wonderful people that brought you the Soviet Union
> and the ideals of Marxist/Lennonism!

Hard to figure out who you're going after here. The liberal wing of the Russian government is now the pro-Western side; the conservative wing is the communist. The pro-Kremlin party (i.e. Putin's party) won big in the recent election, which is a potential problem for the US - Putin almost certainly abused the power of his position to win the election, and the country may well be moving towards a new more-totalitarian government.

Which leaves people with a new problem - which party do you choose to hate nowadays? The liberals, the communists or the totalitarians? I suppose you could just hate all russians. Worked well in the 50's.

First, the Soviet Union was never a true communist state. The "communists" that want power want the old centralized, social state. That puts them pretty far to the "left".

Second, Putin, despite his warts, and most other power brokers in Russia (a lot of former intel/KGB/GRU types), is not the free wheeling hot head, with a heart condition and drinking problem that Yelstin was.

BBCi has a good article on it. I'm undecided, but think Putin is the best choice for Russia to move forward, not backward. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3300483.stm
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Ah yes.. political correctness... from the same wonderful people that brought you the Soviet Union and the ideals of Marxist/Lennonism!

Lennon wasn't associated with Marx (Karl or Groucho). Didn't you understand the lyrics of "Back in the USSR" and "Revolution"?

Now, Lenin is another matter entirely.

What were they saying about public schooling?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It made Ike popular. :P

Let's not hate all Russians, just all Russian politicians...kind of like here at home.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Lennon wasn't associated with Marx (Karl or Groucho). Didn't you understand the lyrics of "Back in the USSR" and "Revolution"?

Now, Lenin is another matter entirely.

That's why it makes life easier to pronounce things the way the people do. I doubt you'd misspell -Leh NEEN- anything like the dreamer.

What were they saying about public schooling?

That it has failed. Miserably. Wow, something you and I can agree on.

...scary
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

And what about all those pictures of men with guns in the school's history books - shouldn't they have been banned too?

Nope. They should be there. They represent a lesson we are failing to learn. :(

The lesson that freedom requires effort, and sometimes fighting for it?
witty subliminal message
1*

The public high school across the street from my apartment has a dress code more or less

white, opaque shirt, long sleeves, no cleavage
dark full length pants
loose fitting but not more than a couple sizes too big
no logos

They allow skirts, though, right?
witty subliminal message
1*

guns kill people... ok I agree... that means a spoon
& a fork make people fat. Make these utensils unavailable to the public and viola "no more obesity"
Wow I should be in politics:P:ph34r:;)

Hammers and saws build houses!(not in florida...its almost impossible to get ahouse built in Fl.;))
Man I'm smart too!!!!!!

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage."

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

And what about all those pictures of men with guns in the school's history books - shouldn't they have been banned too?

Nope. They should be there. They represent a lesson we are failing to learn. :(

That isn't the lesson you'd learn about the men with guns that killed Lincoln, Kennedy or Martin Luther King, Jr., now is it?

That is worse the the boy that took a G.I.Joe (small one for all of you like me that hat the uummmm big one) It had a gun on it and got 3 days susp.

This is way out of hand. They should be woried about teaching our children.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Teaching children? My God man - have you lost your mind? The NEA isn't about teaching kids - it's about preserving union jobs in our public schools! Get a grip on yourself!
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Nope. They should be there. They represent a lesson we are failing to learn.

That isn't the lesson you'd learn about the men with guns that killed Lincoln, Kennedy or Martin Luther King, Jr., now is it?

What did you learn from the pictures about the revolutionary and civil wars?

And what did you learn from the text telling you that leaders have been assassinated since there were leaders? That it's the tool's fault?
witty subliminal message
1*

Nope. They should be there. They represent a lesson we are failing to learn.

What did you learn from the pictures about the revolutionary and civil wars?

And what did you learn from the text telling you that leaders have been assassinated since there were leaders? That it's the tool's fault?

The premise that you will stand there with a rifle and fight off another attacking nation is absurd, where it was practical at the time of the American revolution, if your neighbors did likewise. That is where the militia played into the 2d amendment, which you neglect to consider. Your rifle won't be that helpful against tanks, mortars, artillery, cruise missiles and the odd NBC threat a hostile force could field.

The civil war? Please tell me what was solved by the application of lethal force in the civil war. What territories were taken and held? What opposing threat was wiped out? Who was killed, other than Americans?

As to the assassinations? I learned that without the firearms, the attempts might not have been successful. Nobody walked through all the guards to throttle them with their hands. Firearms provided an easy, instantaneous, distant and lethal way for them to express themselves. To me, that is not progress.

The civil war? Please tell me what was solved by the application of lethal force in the civil war.

Preservation of the Union.

What territories were taken and held?

Lots of them, in the end, the South was held by the Union.

What opposing threat was wiped out?

The confederacy.

Who was killed, other than Americans?

French, Germans, Irish, Italians, Poles, Scandinavians, Scottish

I'm thinking the gun threads are like good rollercoasters are to some people.

It's the same ride, over and over, but they never get tired of it.

:P

Yup. I don't know why I even bother any more. Some people (not referring to Kevin) simply don't get it. They aren't able to comprehend the ramifications of their actions or grasp the flaws in their arguments.

It is a roller coaster. The problem is that getting off is an admission of failure. While children still bring loaded handguns from home into elementary schools like the one my wife works in, I'll continue to see it as a problem that needs a solution. Some people, like Kevin, disagree with me, but are (I think) willing to work toward a solution. Others are simply to close-minded and stubborn to see that there even is a problem.

The civil war? Please tell me what was solved by the application of lethal force in the civil war.

Preservation of the Union.

But the application of force was a cause as well. If you remove it from both sides, you are right back where you started. Violent action and violent reaction. We'd have been better off to skip both.

What territories were taken and held?

Lots of them, in the end, the South was held by the Union.

Same as above. Basically a zero-sum. We didn't suddenly annex Canada or something.

What opposing threat was wiped out?

The confederacy.

But we, as a nation, derived that threat from within.

Who was killed, other than Americans?

French, Germans, Irish, Italians, Poles, Scandinavians, Scottish

I didn't phrase that like I wanted, and it isn't enough of an issue with me to push. Conceded.

We didn't suddenly annex Canada or something.

Because we scare you.....:P;) or something.... lol

I expect so. Last time the US tried to annex Canada the White House got burned down... ummm - wait a minute, we may be on to something here.;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You don't scare us. We had a sudden realization that we didn't want Canada, so we withdrew our invasion force from the border. Both guys with buckets were called home. Remeber, guns don't kill people, buckets kill people. So sayeth the gun lobby, anyway. But, amazing as it is, even they can understand that there is no reason to annex Canada. ;)