captainpooby

Libya to give up WMD's. Hmmmmmmmm!

Perhaps the policy of preemption is having an effect? Just a thought.

Naah.;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3335965.stm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Libya to give up WMD

Tony Blair applauded the move

Libya's leader Colonel Gaddafi has said his country sought to develop weapons of mass destruction capabilities but will dismantle this programme completely, Prime Minister Tony Blair has announced.

"This decision is an historic one and a courageous one and I applaud it," Mr Blair said.

Colonel Gaddafi had told him the process of dismantling the programme would be "transparent and verifiable", the prime minister said in a statement from Durham Cathedral.

The range of all Libya's missiles would be restricted to "no more then 300km", he added.

The US and its allies have long suspected that Libya had secret chemical and bio-weapons programmes, however Libya always denied such allegations saying it had only facilities for pharmaceutical or agricultural research.

Gaddafi's government took responsibility for the Lockerbie bomb

Mr Blair said Britain had been engaged in talks with Libya for nine months.

"Libya came to us in March following successful negotiations on Lockerbie to see if it could resolve its weapons of mass destruction issue in a similarly cooperative manner," he said.

The decision entitled Libya to rejoin the international community, Mr Blair said.

President Bush confirmed the announcement from the White House and said Colonel Gaddafi had agreed "immediately and unconditionally" that international weapons inspectors could enter Libya.

"Colonel Gaddafi's's commitment, once fulfiled, will make our country more safe and our world more peaceful," President Bush said.

"Leaders who abandon the pursuit of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them will find an open path to better relations with the US and other nations."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this month's National Review magazine:

The widespread conclusion among Arabs and Muslims is that Saddam has proved a coward and a fraud. Ambiguity nevertheless remains. Iraqis themselves were evidently unable to overthrow their tyrant; Americans had to do it for them. Of course most Arabs recognize freedom when they see it, and rejoice at the turn of events. But the knowledge that somebody else has had to do what you could not do for yourself is disturbing. The impotence, the helplessness, the sight of American soldiers going about their successful business, also induces fear. Muammar Qaddafi, the Libyan dictator, admitted as much (as well he might) when he declared that, as Operation Free Iraq unfolded, "I felt afraid." In Syria, President Bashar Assad similarly has to decide whether his own people or the United States is the greatest challenge to his absolute power. The Iranian regime is also torn between joy at Saddam's arrest and dismay at the evidence of American might. Uncomfortably, the sense of dishonor springs out of emotional and cultural tangles of this kind.

Superb news! I was very happy to hear of it. Gaddafi appears to be gaining some wisdom in his elder years, I hope this appearance proves to be a reality. How this will affect the "Third International Theory" will be interesting to observe in years to come.

Gaddafi cleared the way to end sanctions for Pan Am 103 settlements. Once that was completed, apparently, there was some serious series of meetings with the US and UK, our intel was allowed to look, take pictures, et al.

While I think our current foreign policy was a major contributor, I can't help but this that this is also designed to place some pressure on Egypt (not from a weapons standpoint, but internal political doctrine perspective), and provide some type of conduit to deal with issues that I think we will have to deal with in Algeria eventually.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think Gaddafi has been on a more enlightened path since a few bombs took out his tent LONG ago. He realized his mortality with the death of his daughter. He was contained long ago. This is just another step to allowing his people to join the 21st century.

The whole problem with the Lybians is their country is run by a colonel. What, there are no generals in Lybia? Qaddafi had a bad fitness report and can't get a promotion?

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I think Gaddafi has been on a more enlightened path since a few bombs took out his tent LONG ago. He realized his mortality with the death of his daughter. He was contained long ago. This is just another step to allowing his people to join the 21st century.

and it took 20 years to figure out. I don't think so. While it might have played a small part, but seeing iraq fall and the SH looking like a homeless man was a pretty good wake up call.

I hate to rain on this parade of joy, and yes, it does sound like good news, BUT he, nor the rest of these Arab leaders/countries can be trusted! They will tell you one thing to you face, then run the knife into your back at the first oppertunity! The mindset of these people has always been, is now and will always be HATRED of and toward America! They breed it, they teach it! They should be viewed with the same regard as what would be given a coiled rattlesnake! They are not to be trusted! As has been proven time and time again, their word means nothing! Trust them and you will wind up dead!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Your point is certainly valid, and I don't discard it. Still, I hope that this leads to tangible progress. Times change. Circumstances can change people. I believe the Gaddafi is preparing some type of legacy. I read a report that said that his son has had a lot more visibility in the proceedings of events. I don't know what that means but, I'll guess that it's a sign of "things to come". Indeed, actions will define the future of this venture.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Your point is certainly valid, and I don't discard it. Still, I hope that this leads to tangible progress. Times change. Circumstances can change people. I believe the Gaddafi is preparing some type of legacy. I read a report that said that his son has had a lot more visibility in the proceedings of events. I don't know what that means but, I'll guess that it's a sign of "things to come". Indeed, actions will define the future of this venture.

We can only hope. If he is just playing a game Gaddafi and his son have been warned.

Perhaps. Gaddafi has been trying to come back into the good graces of the rest of the world for quite some time now. He's been lobbying other heads of state in Africa to become the president of some sort of African regional confederation, I do believe. Forget the name of it - I read an article on it sometime last year. Reagan's policies towards him kept him contained for the most part.

Syria's Assad has to be a bit nervouse right now. I think the prospect of another democratic government in the region scares the hell out of many Arab leaders. Given the current mindset of the Iranian populace and the bolder reforms Khatami seems to be able to produce, the region could become a stronghold for democracy within the next 25-50 years. Could being the key word there.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I think that was one of the F111's from the UK that hit his tent. Reagan does deserve some credit for this he ordered the raid.

Yeah those ardvarks are cool planes.:)
. . .But . . . I think that the time span involved is grounds for a pretty good argument that when he saw how happy the Iraqui's were to be rid of Saddam, he took stock in his own method of ruling and the atrocities that he has been party to, and decided that he should change his ways as well.[:/]

Well, that, or he grew a concience in the last few months, mmmmmmmm, NOT!:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun