lawrocket

Vermont Town Desires to Secede to N.H. - Press Clips

Libertarians, unite! Brings back memories of the folks in Massachusetts registering their cars in N.H. because of the car taxes.

Wouldn't this be interesting? Chances of it actually occurring are mighty slim, though, considering cities are incorprated under state laws, and I can't see one state ceding land to another.

LINK

-----------------------------------------

KILLINGTON, Vt. - Officials in the popular ski resort area of Killington want the town to secede from Vermont and join neighboring New Hampshire in a dispute over taxes.

They say the town's restaurants, inns and other businesses send $10 million a year to the state capital in sales, room and meal taxes, but the state returns just $1 million in state aid to Killington.

Even more galling to the town is a statewide property tax imposed in 1997 to fund schools. The town of 1,092 won a Superior Court order that called the state's method of assessing local properties "arbitrary and capricious," but the state Supreme Court reversed that decision.

"It kind of reminds us of Colonial days," Town Manager David Lewis said Thursday. "The Colonies were being faced with the Stamp Act, the Tea Act, the Sugar Act. England wasn't giving them any rights. They were treating the Colonies as just a revenue source."

New Hampshire, just 25 miles east, has no income tax or sales tax.

Killington's Select Board wants to put the secession idea before voters on Town Meeting Day in March.

Secretary of State Deborah Markowitz said Killington has little chance of secession "absent an armed insurrection type of thing. ... A town is a construction of the state and exists at the pleasure of the Legislature."

New Hampshire Deputy Secretary of State David Scanlan said he would be flattered if Vermont wanted to join New Hampshire — but he's not making any promises.

In Killington, not everyone likes the idea.

"I love having a Vermont address. I'm proud of it. It's a cool place to live," said resident Steven Kelly.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Here you have one of the most liberal states right next to one of the most conservative states. When people think of Vermont they think they are all liberal nature loving tree huggers. I'm suprised that they are not. I hope that they can secede. It would send a message to government that you can't just keep taxing the life out of people and expect them to take it.

Secretary of State Deborah Markowitz said Killington has little chance of secession "absent an armed insurrection type of thing. ... A town is a construction of the state and exists at the pleasure of the Legislature."

I really think that depends on a state's constitution doesn't it? Either way, the state of Vermont probably didn't spend a dime building Killington. ... Go for it Killington!!
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I support Killington 100% on this and I hope West Dover (home of Mount Snow) will follow suit. This is all the fault of the wonderful Governor Howard Dean, presently running for President. Act 60 is a disaster for the citizens of Vermont, but Dean did not give a shit. The majority did not want this law, but he had the legislature to pass it and he did. And guess where Dean moved to after leaving the statehouse...New Hampshire!:S

Chris

I support Killington 100% on this and I hope West Dover (home of Mount Snow) will follow suit. This is all the fault of the wonderful Governor Howard Dean, presently running for President. Act 60 is a disaster for the citizens of Vermont, but Dean did not give a shit. The majority did not want this law, but he had the legislature to pass it and he did. And guess where Dean moved to after leaving the statehouse...New Hampshire!:S

Chris

Dude...I used to live in West Dover. Valley View Road to be exact. Unfortunately West Dover is a bit too far inland, and the folks from Brattleboro would storm the gates (they're super-lovey-liberals)! :D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Dude...I used to live in West Dover. Valley View Road to be exact. Unfortunately West Dover is a bit too far inland, and the folks from Brattleboro would storm the gates (they're super-lovey-liberals)

I know you did. We talked about this once. And you're right about Brattleboro...Bunch of tree hugging, granola crunching, ugly mutha-fuckers.[:/]
I mean it. I worked in Brattleboro for 5 years and I don't think I ever saw an attractive person once...except for me ofcourse.;)

Chris

I grew up farther North in Cabot, far from the commercialized ski community of Killington. The town used to be Sherburne, if I'm not mistaken, before there was a vote to change it to match the name of the ski area. Maybe Muenkel and Gawain can confirm this for me.

To me, the big commercial ski havens of Killington and Stowe were never truly Vermont. I will remember it fondly as I knew the place, the people, and the way we lived. It has changed in many ways since I left 20 years ago, enough to precipitate my parents' moving and to make me never want to live there again.

As far as secession goes, good old Vermont cartoonist Jeff Danziger published a book about the state of Vermont seceding from the union a few years back.
Arrive Safely

John

Killington politics sound much like Quebec politics.
Both threaten to sucede from the union as ploys to get better roads, sewers, etc.
Now that Quebec has made the rest of the country officially bilingual and gotten the lion's hare of federal gov't contracts, they have no need to sucede.
As for this official bilingualism foolishness ... French is useless in most Vancouver neighborhoods. Punjabi, or Cantonese or Hindi or Mandarin are far more useful languages.

If the Vermont statehouse just allocates more tax dollars to roads and sewers near Killinton, they will stop whining about suceding.

I grew up farther North in Cabot, far from the commercialized ski community of Killington. The town used to be Sherburne, if I'm not mistaken, before there was a vote to change it to match the name of the ski area. Maybe Muenkel and Gawain can confirm this for me.

You are correct. It was Sherburne.

Chris