mastaricky

Helmet question

I got the same one. Also bought it for snowboarding and used it for paragliding few times because i didn't have appropriate helmet. Not sure about the skydiving because it doesn't fit very snugly on my head and it would be moving around probably...maybe it's just my head.
I don't know how it goes with it not being certified for air sports.

I don't know how it goes with it not being certified for air sports.

How many skydiving helmets do you think are certified for anything (airsports or otherwise)?

Hint: it's a single digit number that starts with 0.

I agree with MarkM, looks fine for skydiving, and since the goggle retainer is removable, I'd take it off to eliminate a snag point (you'll probably find skydiving style goggles work better under the helmet anyway).
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

It would PROBABLY work fine IF;

It fits snug enough not to become a "canopy" on your head. (The Chin strap/ear cover design leads me to believe the chinstrap would have to be extremely tight, near painful to do this)
The Chin Strap buckle is strong enough to take the pressure of free fall speeds acting on it.
All the padding components are assembled in a way that they wont blow out.

Remember this helmet is designed for slow speeds and heavy blunt force trauma, not for high speeds. This helmet is not designed with low drag in mind either.

How ever, like the PRO tech style helmets it may work just fine for years! Just have a KNOWLEDGEABLE Rigger/Instructor look it over.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I know a few freefliers out West that are wearing that same helmet...there's no reason it won't work and provides a ton more protection than ANY helmet made specifically for skydiving.
After seeing your post I'm considering one for myself.
I guess I should start wearing one on the slopes too...LOL.

I jump with a ski helmet. Fits nice and tight and works very well at a cost of $60.
But the key from what I'm told is a nice tight fit and nothing sticking out to get things hooked on.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Interesting post, I have been wondering the same thing - about using snowboard helmets. I know some of the wingsuit base guys use them, but I havent actually seen anyone skydiving with one.

I would think that the testing and quality that goes into the ski helmets surpasses that of the sky dive helmet manufacturers.

This one looks great for jumping:

http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/snow-helmets/snowboard/omen.html