PhillyKev

Not another gun debate....

Not trying to start another debate, but just want to address the single point of why I feel it's necessary for me to have one.

This happened a little while ago, while I was standing outside, 2 blocks from work, 3 blocks from home, at a corner I walk past at least twice a day.

An argument, reportedly over a parking space, caused a shooting in Center City Philadelphia, police said.

According to authorities, near the intersection of 12th and Locust streets, the driver of a green Cadillac got into a dispute with another driver. The second driver then allegedly pulled a .50 caliber Desert Eagle gun.

The driver of the Cadillac was shot in the leg and was sent to a hospital.

Transit police were in the area at the time and took the alleged shooter into custody. A suspect is in custody.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2779401/detail.html

isn't this just THE reason to forbid any civilians to carry a gun?

Since when does forbodance (sp) have anything to do with reality?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Like I said, wasn't trying to start a debate. But I'm willing to bet a case of beer that the guy was carrying the gun illegally. Meaning he was "forbidden" from carrying it, but did anyway.

Do you want to live in a society where the government treats everyone like they are idiots who can't be trusted to act responsibly with freedom?

Using this same logic, there should be no privately owned automobiles allowed, since 40,000 Americans per year die in traffic accidents with them.

You better think hard about what you wish for. You might get it.

Oh, and it is against the law in Pennsylvania to carry a gun in your car, unless you are licensed to do so. My bet is that this idiot didn't have a license.

As a result of his action, he will lose his gun, serve some time in jail, and be prohibited from ever owning a gun again as long as he lives.

The victim is just darned lucky the shooter was a bad shot. That .50 caliber handgun could have done him in.

Aaahh.. okay... I didn't know it was illegal to carry a gun for some Americans???

Honestly.. I'm not trying to start a beaten-to-death debate all over again..

Most Americans are not allowed to carry guns. Only about half the states allow people to carry guns, and only then if they are properly licensed to, which in many cases requires training. And many of them will only issue under special circumstances (courier who carries lots of cash, etc.).

It is shown that not everyone can be trusted with a gun

I don't mind NOT carrying a gun, since it makes it less likely that people around me carry a gun.. It's is absolutely NOT a restriction of my 'freedom' ..

But he.. do whatever you like.. We just don't agree.. and probably never will.. no biggie.

Who the hell gets in an arguement, heated enough for a gun to be drawn, over a friggen parking space?

It takes me 20 minutes to find somewhere to park sometimes. Sometimes longer.

and you say that might be a reason to start using your gun? I'd assume you don't mean it like that..

Thanks for the info on gun-control.. by-the-by

and you say that might be a reason to start using your gun? I'd assume you don't mean it like that..

Of course not, I was just addressing why some nut job might get that upset over a parking spzce.

Just heard an update, and apparently the guy shot the other guy because he was coming after him with a club. If that's true, even better justification to carry a gun. Clubs are pretty widely available, and will kill you just as dead.

Just heard an update, and apparently the guy shot the other guy because he was coming after him with a club. If that's true, even better justification to carry a gun. Clubs are pretty widely available, and will kill you just as dead.

Sometimes it is best to just walk/drive away.. and not to make a big fuss about something like a parking space.. But yes, clubs can be as deadly as a gun.. just on shorter range :P

Didn't you sign that waiver before you were born? The one saying you accept that life is a high risk activity and you won't sue in the afterlife should some idiot kill you via car, gun, or whatever?

Philly...much like you, not trying to start shit or anything, just curious:

How would the victim's act of carrying a gun in that situation have helped stop him from getting shot in the leg?

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Yes, once someone commits a felony crime, or some violent misdemeanor crimes, then they are forbidden by law from ever owning a gun. And there are many other disqualifications too, such as being adjudged mentally defective, a dishonorable military discharge, and others.

However, for the rest of us who prove ourselves responsible, we should be able to own guns.

I don't mind NOT carrying a gun, since it makes it less likely that people around me carry a gun.

Huh? That logic does not compute. People around you don't know whether you have one or not, so your carry status is irrelevant to what they do. The criminals don't give a flip if you are unarmed - in fact, they prefer it!

It's is absolutely NOT a restriction of my 'freedom'.

Only as long as it is a matter of personal choice. The second that the government says that you can't choose to do so, even if you want to, then it becomes a restriction.

Didn't you sign that waiver before you were born? The one saying you accept that life is a high risk activity and you won't sue in the afterlife should some idiot kill you via car, gun, or whatever?

Hmm.. must have missed that waiver.. Small difference with getting killed by a car and getting killed by a gun is that guns are generally speaking of very little useful value, and can therefore be restricted in availability better than cars..

And... I'd rather not be killed at all.. B| Just trying to minimize my chances..

Of course it is. And the vast majority of those licensed to carry a gun do so with the attitude of:

1. Avoid
2. Escape
3. Defend

I talk to a lot of people who carry guns, both at the range and on line. And none of them ever want to shoot anyone, and several of them have been in life threatening situations and managed to escape danger without using their guns. It's a last resort safety measure just in case, kind of like a reserve. You don't ever want to have to use it, but sometimes you don't have a choice unless you want to die.

Philly...much like you, not trying to start shit or anything, just curious:

How would the victim's act of carrying a gun in that situation have helped stop him from getting shot in the leg?

-Kramer

It wouldn't. But by chance, there happened to be a transit cop walking past when it happened who struggled with the shooter and arrested him. He may have shot again.

I sometimes get the feeling that there are far more life-threatening situations in some parts of the USA just because a large number of Americans are allowed to carry a gun.

Maybe I am just lucky to not have been in a situation where I feel like I need a gun.. maybe just smart.. or maybe even not too hot-tempered to give a f*ck and don't start a fight or arguement ;)

Small difference with getting killed by a car and getting killed by a gun is that guns are generally speaking of very little useful value, and can therefore be restricted in availability better than cars.

Bzzzt! Wrong answer.

Cars are not a constitutional right. Guns are.

A gun only has to save your life once in self-defense, to be worth more than all the driving you've done in your entire lifetime.

And fortunately, someone's perceived idea of "useful value" is not the measure by which freedom is determined. Otherwise, we wouldn't be allowed to skydive out of airplanes. Freedom dictates that we should be allowed to own guns and participate in dangerous sports, as long as we don't threaten or hurt others with those activities.