BASE813

BPA - Should temp membership be available to UK residents?

I dont skydive much in the UK - and last year I had a friend over from Denmark and wanted to make some skydives. I took out a temp BPA membership for one month and the DZO/CCI had no problem with me doing this - as it says at the top of the form (or something similar) "..........or people wishing to join the BPA temporarly" – as I concluded that, and the manifest person concluded that this form and sort of membership included my wishes.

I then received a letter from the BPA basically saying that I was not allowed in any way to have a temp membership. I wrote back and explained my situation and quoted the “clear” words on top of the form………… I received a letter back stating that this is not the case and that you are not allowed to “cherry pick” when you can be a member.

To me this is wrong. Seeing that the BPA membership (which I have not been a member now for 2 years) is now £105 (or near) to be a member – then why shut out the many people that want to make a jump once or twice in this country but wont because they then have to pay £100+ to do this.

What are others thoughts on this?

(by the way I cant be arsed to write a more indepth reason of why I think this is wrong!) oh well!!

There’s no option for “People in the UK should be able to get temporary membership on the same terms as foreign, visiting jumpers”. I’d certainly agree with that! ;)

In general, I feel that the BPA is a complete rip off. >:(

There is one way to save a (small) amount of money though – take out joint membership. You don’t need to be married, or attached or even in a relationship – just take out joint membership with a mate and you save a couple of quid. It’s not a huge amount, but will bring your BPA membership down below £100. :S The only downside is you only get one mag between you. But I think I can live with that! :P

Vicki

bwahahaha. yellow boxes :D

I think there should definately be a temporary membership programme. I dont understand what their problem is with it? :S

still at least they'll have a nice display in the office
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I think there should definately be a temporary membership programme. I dont understand what their problem is with it? :S

Simple - it means they'd lose far too much money because they wouldn't be ripping us all off £105 per year as a significant proportion of the membership would just take out 45 day temp membership to cover say July and August! ;)

I know when I renew it'll be joint membership - not giving them a penny more than I have to! >:(

Vicki

I think the main problem for them would be a logistical one. How would the BPA be able to plan its finances if it didn't know how much it would have in any given year because people drop in and out of it (No pun intended:D). But apart from the Mag (Which I think is way better than Parachutist) and insurance, what does the BPA spend the money on? I am personaly happy to pay up because I have a feeling that its not until you've got a problem that the BPA insurance will really be valued. I jump about 50/50 between here and overseas and have other Skydiving insurance as well, it costs a bomb and I don't get a great Mag with it either.B|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vikki, have you got the stats on money spending again?

something like £3K to make an attracive display of parachuting at their offices, another £3K for getting broadband...

The website cost a fortune as well. [:/]
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Vikki, have you got the stats on money spending again?

Not to hand… I found them in the minutes section of the expensive BPA website, so I’m sure you will find them there if you’re bored enough! What you’ve put sounds about right though. [:/][:/]>:(

Vicki