kelel01

Dreams about . . . packing, of all things

You know, the past three nights, all of my dreams (that I can recall) have been about packing. And I distinctly remember being terrified. I remember cocking and re-cocking and re-cocking the pilot chute, each time discovering that the time before hadn't done it. (Please no dirty references to the cock/re-cock talk.) :D

Am I stressed about learning to pack, or what? Geez. :D

Kelly

I think dreams are the safest place you can have a problem like that. I was having bad dreams about my exits on BASE jumps, there was no friction and I kept slipping and being totally unstable -- very scarey:o:|:S. On my next jump when I was at the exit point that all went away and I could visualize myself executing everything perfectly. I realized there was friction and I was fine.

The benefits of the waking world are when you cock your pilot chute, it's cocked. I'm sure after your dreams you'll be sure to do it, and just get a pin check:)

Just float the pilot chute and make sure that it catches air before folding it. Personally I do this 3 times during the pack job, once immediatly after cocking it, once before putting the main in the bag, and a third time before folding the pilot chute.

Here is something else to think about: Would you chop a PC in tow?

LMAO!!! You're so cute, girl!

At least it beats my nightmare last night. I dreamed that a nice, old man suddenly cornered me in a deserted, tightly enclosed parking lot and began to run towards me at an incredibly, super-human fast speed!!! He had suddenly turned evil and wanted to rape and kill me in my dream...
Thankfully, I was able to quickly levitate and fly over him as he ran (not into, but past me!) :o I awoke gasping from fear, but, at least, I was able to fly without a rig in my dream...a power that I never knew that I possessed!

You'll be fine, Kelli! Please try to not stress about the packing, anymore. :)

Kelly, you must really be thinkin a lot about somethin else to keep using the word "cock" >:(:P

Hehe...on a seroius note, quit worrying so damn much! Whoever's teaching you to pack, isn't going to let you put away the PC without it being cocked (at least I hope they don't ;)). I swear if I get my A before you do...I swear...

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

The canopy I was jumping before I bought my gear had a p/s that did not need to be cocked. It was always ready to go and you never had to think about it. While I was flying the canopy it would be trailing nicely behind but how much drag that would cause, I would think minimal. You could try finding one like that if will allow you to sleep at night.;)

Is that all!? Hell... whilst I was in the first few jumps I always drempt that I bounced... looked up to see if anyone saw it.. the coolly walked back to the hangar...

repetition is the key... have a the person teaching you make sure you do it the same way every time. Even when I cant consciously remember a step anymore... it just happens. I turns into a muscle memory thing. Youll get it.... we all did! :D:P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I meant what can you do on the ground so you jump knowing that you probably won't have a PC in tow. Since we are talking about packing.

I don't understand how cutting away a pc in tow would be Clearly beneficial. Not cutting away could result in entanglement, reserve fabric burn or a two out after reserve deployment.

Cutting away could cause the same things except the two out. It's not like the main is gone if we cut away. There is'nt enough drag.

I meant what can you do on the ground so you jump knowing that you probably won't have a PC in tow. Since we are talking about packing.

I don't understand how cutting away a pc in tow would be Clearly beneficial. Not cutting away could result in entanglement, reserve fabric burn or a two out after reserve deployment.

Cutting away could cause the same things except the two out. It's not like the main is gone if we cut away. There is'nt enough drag.

I know I know, you look for color in the indicator window of your bridle!! Yep, flip a coin as to whether or not you cutaway before deploying reserve on PCIT.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I have to be honest, when I saw the title, I just wanted to raise my hand and say "it's just because of all the ASIN posts!" Then you go and write "cocking and re-cocking" and that just made it too easy. Ruined the whole thing. :P

There's nothing to stress out about. Learning in fundamental. Really though, the scary part is not packing for a long time and then trying to do it again. That's scary.

Stow your brakes, cock your pilot chute, and keep your lines tight. Everything else will work itself out.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

That happened to me last July when I decided to pack to pay for my jumps one weekend. Between every load I packed my canopy adn then at least 3 others before manifesting. I am a fast packer and I amde alot of jumps that weekend. Will never do that again!!

By the time you read this you have already read it.

Huh? If you knew on the ground you'd fix it. I was referring to what you'd do in the air.

Personally, I teach that if you have sufficent time and altitude to cut away from a PC in tow.

Wouldn't you reach back and try to clear it once? Or too risky as far as getting it wrapped around your arm and breaking your arm/horseshoe??
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Is that all!? Hell... whilst I was in the first few jumps I always drempt that I bounced... looked up to see if anyone saw it.. the coolly walked back to the hangar...

I've had that one more than once. Kind of an "umphf, that hurt" then stand up and walk away. Never quite figured out what that meant [other than I need to jump more]

The one that really got me though was when I had like 30 or 40 jumps. I exited and all the sudden I was just sit flying perfectly with like 100 other people in the air. The STA was out there flying with me and he was kinda like "just go with it." Of course then I realized I wasn't wearing a rig. AND we were over water as far as the eye could see, carribean blue.

{I may not like bin Laden, but I do hang out with hijackers}
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

You guys are all such a trip! (Kennedy-- you're going down. :D) It's funny-- when I'm awake, I could swear I don't know anything about packing, but in my dreams, I'll think, "Oh, I forgot to quarter the slider" or "Damnit, I forgot to flake the lines!". Point being, I think it's starting to come together for me. I don't know why I'm freaking out so much.

And Kramer--

I swear if I get my A before you do...I swear...

You don't have to say that twice . . . I will kick my own ass if that happens . . . unbelievable. :D

It's too bad I can't land on a freakin' target!!!!!!!!! That's what my nightmare should be about . . . the first person in history to reach 10,000 jumps without 5 landings within 20 meters of a predetermined target . . . :D

Kelly

Huh? If you knew on the ground you'd fix it. I was referring to what you'd do in the air.

Personally, I teach that if you have sufficent time and altitude to cut away from a PC in tow.

HMMmmm...I don't like the idea of a chopped pilot chute ...still in tow,inflating, flying with d-bag,and risers into my perfectly good reserve eh?:S
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

the first person in history to reach 10,000 jumps without 5 landings within 20 meters of a predetermined target

Ok Kelly, heres what you do.....
You can pick a general area to land but when you are about 10 seconds from touching the ground pick your "true" target. That method will insure greater accuracy.;)

Don't sweat the packing. I had to work at it, packing held me back from getting my "A" more than anything else, but I got through it, with allot of help from several packers at my dz. If i can do it, anybody can. I finally got it packed, and jumped the one I packed. Guess what, it deployed just fine. wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. You'll be fine Kelly.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

You know, the past three nights, all of my dreams (that I can recall) have been about packing. And I distinctly remember being terrified. I remember cocking and re-cocking and re-cocking the pilot chute , each time discovering that the time before hadn't done it. (Please no dirty references to the cock/re-cock talk.) :D

Am I stressed about learning to pack, or what? Geez. :D

Kelly

{in my best Butthead voice.}

HA HA HA HA HA you said CHUTE
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

kel just do one thing give your self plenty of time to deal with your pack jobs ...pull and pull early untill your comfortable .. dont sweat the loss or freefall time just think about this your way ahead of the rest of the world that dont know shi7 about freefall. so give your self plenty of time to deal with your pack jobs ... oh and body position ...cant stress that one enough. my first pack job and i gave myself four line twists but i had time to deal with it and kicked out of it.

as far as the dreams ive just landed my first pilot chute and pulled my main outonce i was on the ground so no one would know the wiser ...

just relax and smile slow is fast;)

i used to do alot of things ....skydiving wont be one of them :)