julia.germany

beginner

hey! i just made my aff license and am now looking out for my first own parachute (got a rig already). should i choose a safire 2, a sabre 2 or rather a pulse? which questions could make my choice easier?
i know that i have lots to learn and would like to have a parachute which is responding but not unforgiving...

hey! i just made my aff license and am now looking out for my first own parachute (got a rig already). should i choose a safire 2, a sabre 2 or rather a pulse? which questions could make my choice easier?
i know that i have lots to learn and would like to have a parachute which is responding but not unforgiving...

they are all great canopies with a strong following and good resale value - it would be ideal if you could demo each one and make the choice yourself.

I don't have a lot of experience with different canopies, but I've been trying out a friends Saffire 2. Did a hop and pop with it and it was the softest opening I've ever had. With only a couple test jumps on it, I'm really liking it. Not that I am recommending one thing over another, just some thoughts.

Add a Pilot to your list of canopies to demo. The jumpers who fly them seem to LOVE them.

http://www.flyaerodyne.com

good canopy but you have to make sure you get a good one, there was batch that was made with a built in turn
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

You should choose a Pulse since that parachute is the most advanced of the three canopies you mention. On a PULSE openings are faster than a Safire 2 and slower than a Sabre 2 but they stay very comfortable. Toggles pressure is very soft, you will travel a lot because of its flat glide and since you are a beginner, packing will be easier too due to the hybrid construction.:)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

packing will be easier too due to the hybrid construction.

but will also wear out faster

Who cares how fast the bottom skin wears out, when the top skin is doing most of the work??????

Aerodyne has reps in Europe and should make it easier for you to get a demo, since they dont have to ship one from the US.

All of your choices are pretty good, but IMHO, I think the Pilot is the best beginner canopy on the market. Great soft openings and easy to fly.

But try as many as you can and make a decision for yourself.
Dom

.... packing will be easier too due to the hybrid construction.:)

Don't underestimate the importance of this if you are buying new and find packing a "challenge".
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

You should choose a Pulse since that parachute is the most advanced of the three canopies you mention. On a PULSE openings are faster than a Safire 2 and slower than a Sabre 2 but they stay very comfortable. Toggles pressure is very soft, you will travel a lot because of its flat glide and since you are a beginner, packing will be easier too due to the hybrid construction

I bet the Pulse is a good canopy. PD rarely puts out a crappy one, but.....Since she is a beginner maybe she should follow PD's recommendation on what is a good beginner canopy. Here is a quote from there own website. Doesn't say a newbie shouldn't jump it, but they don't say it is a newbie canopy.

***The Pulse is a lightly elliptical nine cell canopy designed for the active intermediate to experienced "fun jumper." Pack volume has been reduced significantly, by combining our proprietary low bulk fabric technology with our well-known zero-p fabric. The Pulse can give you stress free on heading openings, a very flat glide and easy landings. It is highly responsive, very capable, and lots of fun to fly.

Dom

They also apparently recommend it for Student and Novice jumpers as shown on their wing loading chart.

For example, Student wing loading is shown as:

Pulse-190 140 (64)
Pulse-210 157(71)
Pulse-230 172(78)
Pulse-260 195(89)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Julia has already 30 jumps then it's the time for her to go and buy a parachute suitable for her for the next 100-200 jumps and more maybe. All depends on the loading factor. She didn't mention her weight;) then I would say a loading factor of 1- 1.2 should be OK. However she should be briefed by a current and knowledgeable instructor before jumping any canopies having more performances than a student canopy.
The student recommended loadings seem to be a little bit conservative. If Julia is weighting say 130 lbs + 25 lbs (for equipment) that means a total exit weight of 155 lbs. Jumping a Pulse 170 will makes a loading factor of 0.9 which is fine (with a good briefing : staying straight forward for landing with plenty of space ahead). Before jumping a 170 I suggest she jumps several times a 210 then a 190 canopy to get used to the increased speed.

note : the Safire 2 and the Sabre 2 are also slightly semi elliptical, nothing wrong with that.

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.