lewis321

My son is taking a sewing class

because he wants to design and make his own parachute! He is 15, has been packing at the dz since last season, wants to get his rigger's license, can't wait to start skydiving, and wants to be an aeronautical engineer.
Is that cool or what!!!
Anybody want volunteer to jump it when it's done?
I may never have to buy another canopy ever againB|

Not only is sewing a great skill, but sewing machines are awesome! It's too bad the stigma of sewing has overshadowed this - if you like gadgets, get a sewing machine. I bought one as a birthday present to myself last year and it's very cool.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I wish I had taken a class. Im learning by mistakes. But then again Im not building parachutes. Illl probably have a couple examples of my work at Mardi Gras , even though Im behind on what I'm already sposded to be building, repairing. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

because he wants to design and make his own parachute! He is 15, has been packing at the dz since last season, wants to get his rigger's license, can't wait to start skydiving, and wants to be an aeronautical engineer.
Is that cool or what!!!

That's awesome.
My 16 yr old daughter does dresses and costumes for Anime conventions. I was dying to get her and industrial sewing machine that was for sale here ($450 used:)

Is that cool or what!!!

Hell yeah that's cool, and YES i'd jump that. I've already jumped one homemade parachute. Of course I only flew it till 3000 feet ;)

Sewing is a great trade to know.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Be sure to tell him that skychicks dig guys who can sew;):)

A guy in my daughter's class at school has won the "Top Home Economics Student" prize for two years running now. He sews, cooks and bakes and he is one of the most popular boys in school.

Hell yeah that's cool, and YES i'd jump that. I've already jumped one homemade parachute. Of course I only flew it till 3000 feet

get your own home made chute... i volunteered first.......:P

In all seriousness-- does your son's school offer any kind of alternative learning experience for credit programs? If they do, it would be awesome if he could spend some time at PD, or another manufacturer to see how it's really done. If he can't do it for credit, it might be an awesome way to spend a few weeks in the summer.

In all seriousness-- does your son's school offer any kind of alternative learning experience for credit programs? If they do, it would be awesome if he could spend some time at PD, or another manufacturer to see how it's really done. If he can't do it for credit, it might be an awesome way to spend a few weeks in the summer.

I don't know if they have anything like that or not. I will have my wife check into it. She is a teacher at his H.S.
Maybe we could contact some of the companies to see if they would want an intern for a few weeks like you said.

In reading some of the other posts I see that there a lot of kids out there that are going beyond the norm. It's really awesome that they have your support too. I get to hear plenty of stories of kids that just want to "get by" from my wife. I love to see kids with ambition whether it's making a parachute, designing and making costumes, etc,...
After all someone has to make our gear so we can keep jumping!!!

Just another note to all the skyparents out there that support or push your kids to go above and beyond: YOU ROCK

OK, enough blabbering I should probably go to work now:(

Todd