ChasingBlueSky

Yes, this picture is real

don't know about that size but I know that sort of fishing isn't a wise tale, there was even a discovery channel special about it (well sort of, there was a 15 minuet special during the "dirty jobs" show

I grew up in Ogden Ut, Did a lot of fishing in the Weber & Ogden Rivers - all for trout of course. (Nice small, clean fish :)
=========Shaun ==========

I have only heard this as a second hand rumor??? How is this done? Is there every injurys involved (wouldn't want to wrestle one of those things.....)??? Any more info on Noodling??

Here are the Offical World Record Holders for the US. As I read looks like the Largest Variety of Catfish is the Wels Catfish of France/Germany....... Ugly Bastards.....(Both the Catfish and their Captors...:P)

I don't get grossed out by much - I've spent enough time outdoors that I deal well with this stuff. However, nothing grosses me out more than looking at the gills of a large catfish with little beady eyes.....
I can't even keep the pictures I downloaded on my PC - bug me too much......:S

Lol, I'm reading about noodling on line, check out this quote I found....

Mr. Noodler's down there holding his breath, getting all tingly with excitement, while he thrusts his hands in dark underwater hidey-holes to see if anybody's home. He loves this stuff. He thrives on the adrenaline rush it affords. Some guys get their thrills driving race cars, or skydiving, or mountain climbing. Others get their kicks noodling.

No thank you, I'll stick to Skydiving.....

I grew up in Ogden Ut, Did a lot of fishing in the Weber & Ogden Rivers - all for trout of course. (Nice small, clean fish

wow, i live in ogden now... and never even thought about fising in the rivers.... maybe it's cuz they aren't that big now with the weather the last few years.. damn drought is killing me here.... the smell from that damn salt lake gets worse as the summer getts hotter....

DAMN!! Fire up da grill!

Negative. Catfish MUST be deep-fried in cornmeal batter.

The damn fish is just a placeholder for good batter and bacon-fat modified lard.

That damn fish could hold up a lot of crispy fried cornmeal batter deep fried in beef suet (sp?) and bacon grease.

Oh nummy.

Agreed. And usually they are just too damn much work to bother with. Although I bet this one would have plenty of meat on it to warrant the work.

As others have said though. The larger catfish tend to taste more like their environtment and the "crap" they eat:S.

I wonder how this one would taste blackened though.B|

I wonder how this one would taste blackened though.

I read that the basis for Cajun cooking was finding ways to make ingredients that didn't taste good, taste good through seasoning/blackening/searing.

Blackened shark. Mmmmmm.

In my Experience, Catfish That Large that Have been feeding off the bottom for years taste like mud....

And thus was invented cajun cooking to mask that muddy flavor.

Actually, anyone here with experience w/ fish farms. If you let that thing live in clean water for a while would the mud taste wash out of it?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Damn once again duece is the man.

The only way to cook mudcat and I repeat the only way is deep fry it in bacon fat and cornmeal. Beer batter is okay, but beer is made to drink when you are frying catfish. Ladys and gentlemen, there is no other acceptable method of cooking catfish period. You can add a little of this and a little of that to the cornmeal to make it spicy. NUMMY NUMMY NUMMY. Duece I got a bunch of catfish in my freezer, we should meet at byron one weekend and fry some up Buddy

B|

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder