tiigra

gun choice

thats good info and i would liek to add one thing. I would also stay away fomr the revolver for the same reason preatty much.... it takes a long time to pull that trigger and when it come down to it you want something that is goig to fire fast. With that long draw of the revolver you are going to actually pull the weapon to the right or left a little causeing your shoot to be off. When your using a 2 inch barrel this chould mean life or death in a resure situation. So basically i would say get the automatic.

I am not a fan of glock, just my personal preferance and i have been trained on a berreta and can shoot it better than the glock. I dont own one besides the one that was issued to me however. The best thing is to go shoot several and find out what you like and what you feel comfortable with, casue when it all boils down you are the one that has to pull that triger when someone is coming after you.

Blue Skys
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

I agree with ya on the 1911 and will always carry one because of my own personal preferences, but Glock-shmock!

Buy an XD from Springfield Armory if you're thinking about a glock. I've shot every XD model and my opinion of each was that it beat any glock I have ever shot (not to mention the grip angle is not so freaking raked and uncomfortable--I want a point-shooter for self defense, not the feeling of a 10-meter gun).

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I own 2 glocks that I think would both be good for a woman. A glock 19C which is a compact compensated 9mm glock. It has the recoil of a water pistol.

I have a glock 26 which I used to use for carrying. It's an even smaller 9mm glock, called a baby glock by some, and would fit perfectly in a purse. The recoil is a little snappier than the 19C, but I think they also now have a compensated model for it(compensated means it has gas vents on the top which push the gun down when you fire, lessening the recoil).

I think there's a girl on this site that owns a glock 26C. She can probably give you a good perspective on how it works for a woman.

I would also stay away fomr the revolver for the same reason preatty much.... it takes a long time to pull that trigger and when it come down to it you want something that is goig to fire fast.

Oh yeah? Last September at the NRA National Police Shooting Championships, Jerry Miculek successively fired 10 S&W revolvers for a total of 60 shots in 17.12 seconds. He also shot five rounds from a five-shot revolver in 0.57 seconds. I've also watched Rob Leatham shoot a DA auto just as fast and accurately as his race 1911.

The main drawback I see with a revolver and most DA (or "safe" action) autos is the weight of the DA trigger pull. On a revolver, at least, you can pull in the take-up, settle the sights and squeeze off the break in the trigger as accurately as a single action. Is this something you're gonna be doing in a firefight? Ummmm, prolly not. But, if you think you're gonna get off nice quick accurate shots with any type pistol while adrenaline is flying out your ass as you try to save your life, I got a bridge to sell you. At that point, point-shooting and muscle memory are the only things that matter.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

How did I know people would bash on the revolver? It is a simpler machine. Most have fewer parts than any pistol [including your glock 17 with 33 or so].

They ARE easier to clean.

They DO NOT take longer to draw

They ARE usually easier to conceal due to grip differences

They DO NOT take longer to shoot. Trigger weight and length of pull are adjustable to your liking. If you think .2 inches and .0002 seconds difference in the trigger will make or break you, you may want to work on the big stuff first. DA revolver have very little difference from DA pistols in terms of trigger. Trigger control is important for any firearm.

Kev, on a light strike leaving one in the barrel, you're screwed with either firearm, so revolver vs pistol neither gets advantage there.

9mm is cheaper but I won't use it for carry, and won't own a firearm chambered for it unless it's issued to me.

Aggie, to your lists I would add

Some really good gun brands to look at for carry:
Kimber, Glock, Sig
Taurus, Para-Ordinace, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat

iffy:
Berretta, Ruger,
Kahr, some Springfields, Hi Point, anyone else you've never heard of

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

i dont think the average joe could put up those numbers with a revolver. Not to mention what was the spread like on that cause i can just spray bullets as fast as i can pull the tirger.

as for shooting accurate, thats why we train. When you traing hard you ca perform in the heat of the moment. I am not trainged to just put buttlets down range, i am trainged to shoot with accuracy. I have never shot someone so i can not say that i will not do it accuratly, but i know with every bit of my training that i have used that what you train in what you do.

This is just my opinion on th revolver so dont get all worked up about it, just my opinion and my experiences.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

They ARE easier to clean.

I've had both a S&W .357 and a G17...the Glock is easier to clean. I can strip it in about 2 seconds and it doesn't have all those chambers to clean out.

I'm not bashing the revolver, I just don't agree that it should be the preferred gun for new shooters. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I don't think any of them favor new shooters one way of the other.

If you like revolvers, cool, get one. If you like autos, cool, get one. Try them both out. I just don't agree with suggesting revolvers have a new shooter advantage.

You guys are so prejudiced. You always leave my H&K USP 40 out of the conversations on good guns.:P

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Damnit, I knew I forgot the other major military player. :$

Funny thing is, I actually did an entire class on H&K, in German! How could I forget that nightmare!
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Funny thing is, I actually did an entire class on H&K, in German! How could I forget that nightmare!

The gun or the class:P

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Yeah, I shot a few XM8 variants (and even got the hat:P) earlier this month. The XM8 is certainly a fine rifle, but I still like the M16/AR-15 platform. The sad part is that it may never too far off the ground if the 6.8 is adopted by the US military. Nonetheless, they are building a new factory to make them in Columbus, GA.

HK did do a revamping of the stoner system which works very very well, Edit: link. All things considered tho, I am most impressed by HK's M16 magazines! HK has the best ones out there, bar none.

mike

Take my personnal advice:

Krupp&Sohne 16" naval gun. It is great for self defense as it usually comes with an armored turret that is permanently affixed to a main battle ship. All in all 30,000 tonns of steel is good self defense policy and deterrs your common thief or mugger
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Hi Dave

Your a big dude without a gun. :o Anyone mess's with you is either nuts or a very bad person.

As far as a wheel gun vs auto. Some folks just don't get it. With a rd in the chamber, removing the mag doesn't unload the weapon. Of course training could take care of that if their smart enough to get it.:S

I've got a glock 17 & a 17L. The 17L came with a ported barrel and slide. The blowback from the barrel would get shit all over the front site so after a few rounds the whit dot would be black.>:(. Easy fix.

When we go to the range we load up all the mags first and then shoot without reloading 150 rd or something and leave. The cops take a look at the 32 rd mag[:/] and we just laugh and tell them it makes a nice blackjack.

A lot of the police have glocks for work so of course they can't modify them. I let them try my glock with the competition trigger (forgot spec's maybe 2-3 lbs pull) their jealous.

We had a local cop who claimed that his Glock discharged at work without his finger on the trigger:S After extensive testing of his glock, he was sent back to school for additional training. The "bad guy" who wasn't that bad, tried to flee got tangled up in a barb wire fence and didn't have a weapon was buried.$$$$

IMO Glocks rock at first I was a little concerned about the lack of mechaincal safeties. But once i learned the basic rules, no problemo:)
The glow in the dark sights are B| and not that expensive.

R.I.P.

Stay the hell away from ported barrels for carry use. If you have to fire the weapon in the ready position (weapon level, held in both hands, in line, against the hip) you will severely burn yourself.

I carried a glock 21c(compensated/ported) for years. I have fire from the low ready, and point shoulder shooting, upside down and with my thumb all over the slide. Unless your hand is over the ports :Syou will not burn yourself. Why would you have your hand there anyways, it is 1/4 inch from the muzzle Also it will not blind you at night if you use quality ammo.

Get a revolver it is alot safer for someone who is new to guns. I.E. the chance of a squib, or light primer strike in a revolver which all you have to do is pull again v.s a stove pipe or any other malfunction for semi-auto which requires taking the weapon with both hands and clear it, while not covering your target anymore.

.357 is the best revolver caliber IMO. We took 2 vests and put both over a 5 gallon bucket of water, and shot at it using a .38,.357,.40,.45,.223,.50(beouwolf),and a low brass 12 guage slug. The .357 had the best performance in the revovler class, while the .45 had the best performance in the semi-auto class. The other calibers were just for fun. The .223 passed through 4 sides of a vest and a bucket of water without moving the bucket! Just blammo. The slug and the .50 had the most backface trauma pushing the vest over 4 inches into the bucket without penetrating the vest. That is like pushing your stomach until it hits your spine without breaking the skin.

you've had lots of good information, probably it's a bit overwhelming at first. just a few more items for you:

1) buy two guns (if you can afford them) a .22 and whatever caliber pistol for self defense. you can practice with the .22 for a fraction of the cost of shooting the larger caliber gun, and the principles are the same.

2) don't buy anything until you've had a chance to read some of the links suggested in this thread, and take a class (usually 1 day) at a local gun range. like anything else, the more familiar you become with a subject the better decisions you will make when you purchase something (TV, gun, parachute, car, etc).

3) after the 1 day class, spend some money (usually $500 - 1000) and take a class at one of the major gun academies: Lethal Force in New Hampshire, Gunsite in Arizona, Front Site in Nevada, Seattle Firearms Academy). They usually last 4 - 5 days and are worth the cost. You will get far more out of a class, then just going to the local range and punching holes in paper targets (which help but will only take you so far)

4) Remember, the most important thing is not the gun (or the make/caliber) - it's you and your mindset. If you don't take this seriously, and getting a gun for self defense is a VERY serious decision, then you're wasting your time and maybe your life. Buy a gun(s), get the training, and keep practicing like your life depends on it - it just might one day.

5) And last of all, the first thing to consider in all this is your moral approach - are you willing to take someone's life. Forget all that hollywood crap about shooting a gun out of someone's hand - it's complete bullshit. When you do use a gun for self defense, you always shoot to stop someone - not to wound, not to kill, but to stop them. They may or may not die, but if you do get a gun you should assume this responsibility.

Good luck. You may find you enjoy shooting as a hobby - you could do a lot worse.

Your a big dude without a gun. Anyone mess's with you is either nuts or a very bad person

Its happened. In my big-ass truck no less. So yup, either an idiot or a very bad person...the perp left too quickly for me to really find out which one was true.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."