skymik

Argus service bullettin

I'm playing catch up in this thread. Just wanted to say I can't under stand why the SB was not issued requiring immediate relacement of the cutter before the next use. That picture alarms me. The second thing is that the cause of the firing has not been determined or did I miss that.

Bill

The second thing is that the cause of the firing has not been determined or did I miss that.

Bill

See post #18 on the thread. The rig with an Argus in Novice mode was riding down with the plane.

Of course, that doesn't alter the fact that a cutter jammed on a partially cut loop - very worrisome.

Just wanted to say I can't under stand why the SB was not issued requiring immediate relacement of the cutter before the next use. That picture alarms me.

If you feel worried, you can replace your cutter before the next use. For people not worried (having the cutter in the bottom perhaps), it can be nice to be able to replace it at a more convenient time.

I wasn't concerned for me because I don't have an argus. I was just thinking of the Argus users out there. I've only repacked maybe 5 rigs this year with an argus in it. Aside from the problem with cutters. I'd also like to know why they are firing outside of normal use parameters.

I own an Argus(DOM June 08)....shoulda got a CYPRES....3 months after installing the Argus in my Wings, the Display unit failed....displays an INK SPOT!....Tried for months to get a replacement with no luck! Finally got an e-mail from Karel Groots indicating he would SELL me a "Ruggedized" unit for $250.00 USD ! If they found it necessary to "RUGGEDIZE" the display units...that tells me the original display units must have been flawed!....I guess I'll b

uy the new display...but I'm not happy about it.......next time I,m going with CYPRES!

uy the new display...but I'm not happy about it.......next time I,m going with CYPRES!

If you mistreat a Cypres, it will break in the exact same way.

These things are fragile, and do break if handled roughly.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I own an Argus(DOM June 08)....shoulda got a CYPRES....3 months after installing the Argus in my Wings, the Display unit failed....displays an INK SPOT!.

That happened to my first cypress, but it wasn't so bad that I could not read the display. After the next service they had replaced it at no extra cost though.

Don't think I hit the display unit....I'm pretty careful with my rig....but coulda happened....I'm a civ. rigger for the military...they use CYPRES and I've seen very few problems and those boys are tough on gear.....but maybe I'm being a little hard on ARGUS...I've heard good reports from other folks......

I don't think it's you.

I have sold quite a few Cypres and Cypres2 units. I have also sold about 20 Argus units and about 10 Vigil1s and a about 10 Vigil2s.

out of all those units I have had 3 Argus units with old-style non-ruggedized screens that were busted.

Statistically speaking if the build quality was the same, I should have had a lot more Cypres units than anything else (I went through over 500 of them).

So obviously there's a reason why new units come with ruggedized display screens as from the factory and why for awhile Argus offered free control units replacements :(

cool....thanks for the info.......looks like I missed the boat on the freebies.....take care & Blue skies!.....

You & me both, Mark. Was definitely annoyed when they told me it would cost $250 for a new control unit. I'm just going with it as-is for now...but I'd probably better double-check first to be sure that I can figure out how to turn it off with half the screen covered by an ink splat. [:/]

Seems like it's pretty common. Bugger all.
Signatures are the new black.

NEW BULLETIN 15 Nov 2010:

Australian Parachuting Federation bans using all Arguses in Australia.

(And that's one of those mostly AAD-mandatory countries.)

Looks like the newer cutter design (Sept 2007+ manufacture) isn't enough, so that the APF is waiting for Aviacom to come up with a demonstratably better cutter.

Sorry, don't have the link to the bulletin handy at the moment, but the bulletin is
"APF TECHNICAL DIRECTIVE No. APF TD04/2010 Argus AAD".

NEW BULLETIN 15 Nov 2010:

Australian Parachuting Federation bans using all Arguses in Australia.

(And that's one of those mostly AAD-mandatory countries.)

Looks like the newer cutter design (Sept 2007+ manufacture) isn't enough, so that the APF is waiting for Aviacom to come up with a demonstratably better cutter.

Sorry, don't have the link to the bulletin handy at the moment, but the bulletin is
"APF TECHNICAL DIRECTIVE No. APF TD04/2010 Argus AAD".

In the case of a DOM after but near the cutoff, be sure to check the date tag on the cutter itself.

I have found a unit with DOM of 10/2007 that still had an Aug 2007 cutter.

and an 'event history' report put together by the APF Deputy Director Rigging.

... Which explains in detail why having a circular blade (Argus) is a poorer concept than having a single V-blade (the other guys).

It's an interesting analysis. To summarize some of what they say:

-- A circular cutter blade might at first seem to be better because it in effect has two cutting edges that will contact the loop. But it means the same force now has to cut the closing loop in two places.

-- A circular blade tends to be built with thinner edges than a simple V-shaped blade, and thus can have problems with either being too soft, or being too hard and brittle.

-- They also mention that the 'anvil' that the cutter hits in the Argus, because of the blade's circular shape, is recessed to the side of the cutter hole, rather than being flush at its edges like on some other designs. This means that if there is a problem cutting all strands of the closing loop, they are more likely to jam, zig zagging into the recessed area.

-- Because of the way flaps pull the loop in different directions, the closing loop can be going somewhat diagonally through the hole in the cutter, depending on the rig. Then the blade may tend to cut the nearest part of the loop first, while the loop is under a lot of tension. But then the farthest part of the loop will be under zero tension for a split second but still within the cutter's hole, so the blade still has to sever it. And that's harder to do, when there's just a little bit of closing loop in there, under zero tension. The cutter isn't designed to cut material that is under zero tension.

[They aren't really clear that this is a worst case scenario, and depends on the flap arrangement, cutter location, and the direction that the cutter goes, whether arranged top to bottom or left to right in a rig. They don't match that info to either the Poland or Portugal incident, so their scenario is just a worst case one.]

The UK have now temporarily grounded all Argus units until a full review can be carried out at the Safety and Training Committee next week.

Bad times for Argus users.

Is the grounding based on the idea that the AAD can inhibit the reserve from opening in the case of pulling the reserve ripcord?

Or is it because the AAD might fail to save a life when the jumper does not pull?

If it is the former, than shouldn't it be okay to jump a rig, like a Javelin or a Wings, where the AAD cannot inhibit the action of the system when you pull the ripcord? On Javelin and Wings (at least, possibly more, I am only familiar with rigs popular in the USA), the cutter is at the opposite end of the closing loop from the pin, so it cannot inhibit function when the pin is pulled.

Is it time for AADs to start getting TSOs and/or other certifications?

Sebastian,
Your statements above are there for one reason only and that is to bash any other AAD than the one you are using yourself. Your comments in the past speak for themselves.

Concerning Portugal:
- It was not a misfire.
- The unit (set in Novice mode) activated during a too fast descent because it hadn’t been switched off by the student’s instructors.
- The display was blank because it was broken due to proven rough handling (cable torn out).
- Because of the blank screen the instructors assumed the unit was off. This is wrong, the instructors should not have assumed but informed the pilot to make a calm approach as a student is onboard.*
- This incident took place early September and you know that. You imply not to know if this is a replacement cutter that failed. You know it was not. It was a cutter that falls under the current preventive SB.
- This incident is not even remotely similar to the fatality in Poland.

There is more to this story that is currently under investigation. We are still waiting for a report from the DZ where the incident happened (we only received an email and the unit back) To investigate further I have requested to the DZ manager involved now four times for his report and additional information. So far no reply.

All replaced cutters are tested upon return. We will inform the community about the outcome as soon as all tests have been completed. The testing is done by an independent laboratory.

William
Argus

*(After switch on, all AADs work autonomously from their display. Blank screens are no guarantee an AAD is off)

hi william,
i can understand why the instructor thought the unit had switched off,the cable was torn out,fair enough.but why did the instructor not see this when he did a gear check on the groung before boarding? i heard that the dispaly was working on the ground before hand? so the display must have benn damaged in the airplane?
so the instructor does a gear check prior to exit and sees the display blank,and he makes the right decision to bring the student back down. ok the unit fired because it was set on student mode and the plane decended to fast,that has happend with other units aswell,so i have no issue with that.
so the unit fired as it was supposed to do!! so why did the loop not get cut and the reserve pilot chute launch in the airplane?? i have seen an add fire with the decent being to fast in the plane, the reserve pilotchute launched as it was supposed to. so why did that not happen in this case?
fair enough that you are still trying to investigate this incident, but i think you said that you have the unit back already so you should have some prelimeray answers?

thanks will

rodger

I want to try to get things back on track on this thread ~ does, TrojanHorse, has Argus set up a US location to return and replace cutters? I have a small collection of them effected by the SB, and If I can avoid shipping them overseas, that would be better...
=========Shaun ==========