garyharbird

Skydiving movies.com

might wanna look into trading the movies via Bit Torrent.. that way all pilotdave would have to host is the bittorrent file (under a meg) that directs the peer to peer program to the file. *shrugs* just an idea. the only problem with Bit Torrent is that we'd really have to leave our clients open all the time.

Dude, you need to find a new web server for your skydivingmovies.com ASA fuckin'P!

Don't you want to be famous like that other dude, whats his name? the owner of DZ.com?

My point is this! You have a really cool website and you want the glory, the chicks and power!

Get a new server with good bandwidth that doesn't limit downloads ect. Take a loan if you have to!

You spent a lot of time revamping the website, it deserves to be shown off.

How much does it really cost a month to have a webpage like that?

Don't you want to be famous like that other dude, whats his name? the owner of DZ.com?

Good point... Hey Sangiro, what has your DZ.com fame brought you? Money? Women? Free jumps wherever you go? Gear sponsorship?

This is starting to sound like a good idea.

Dave

Colocation hosting for a server on a fat pipe = Base fees start at $150 a month plus probally 75-100 a month in bandwidth fees. $250 a month is a car payment for me :S Basically you are spending 125-150 jumps a year on it.

And since you could'nt even remember Sangiro's name is he really that famous? :P
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I tried hosting skydivingmovies.com for a while.... I ended up having to put so many restrictions on its use - ie, caping bandwidth usage that it became largely useless.

I doubt very much that in its current form it is a feasable product.

If someone were to try to bring it back, I'd make the following recomendations.

1: enforce a small file size. You simply can not host a large collection of 100MB files and expect to keep it around. Ensure every file is highly compressed, at a reasonable resolution.

2: use p2p whenever possible. It seems like bitTorrent would be ideal. I've recomended this before.

3: ensure no copyrighted videos are hosted. Not only is this illegal, but most hosters will drop you in a heartbeat if they find out. In fact, they're required to drop you in a heartbeat under the terms of the DCMA. You may not care much about your own personal liability, but I guarantee your host does.

I'd love to see skydivingmovies.com come back... But the biggest problem it has is lack of vision. A big communal "put your videos here" idea is nice when its small, but it simply doesn't scale. I don't know what the answer is, but this community is just too big to have it open like it it was.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The answer is to have the thing moderated by a paid person who knows what to look for as far as copyrighted stuff and other things that shouldn't be on there. This is not possible in it's current form. It would have to be a place that had a gatekeeper and ads and all the other kind of stuff that made the old ftp site so fun. In short, if someone could figure out a way to make it pay for itself, it could come back, but not unitl then.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

So you're the guy that burned out all those hard drives on the server! :P j/k

Yeah, borrowed bandwidth must be limited. I opened the site to the (non-dz.com) public today. 900 downloads later, I'm thinking some "anti-leech" code might be necessary. :)
Dave